Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:16 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
WANTED: One or two discussion leaders 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Post WANTED: One or two discussion leaders
WANTED: One or two discussion leaders

This is bound to be one of our largest book discussions to date, and we really could use one or two members to take the reins and lead the group in discussion. A discussion leader does not have to support or defend the authors thesis, or even respond to every member post or question. All they need to do is keep the discussion flowing by being an active participant. Are you up for the job? ;)

Chris

Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 3/26/05 1:14 am

Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:14 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Post Re: WANTED: One or two discussion leaders
Since we're doing one book every three months we still have plenty of time for someone to step up and claim the role of discussion leader. Any takers?

Chris

Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:59 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

I'm in the middle of Guns, Germs and Steel right now Chris. I'll try to finish it up quick and buy Collapse through your link in the meantime. Maybe I'll get it with enough time to spare to have a good discussion.

One thing I was thinking about... why not have three book chats running at the same time for a period of six months? That way you're not limited to a single book, and if they're related, there can be cross referencing in the discussions(maybe?) I'm sure I could participate in two out of three. For me, even three months is barely enough time to read through a book.

The idea came to me when I saw that you had two book discussions up at the same time, though the reasoning behind that is different.

Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:25 pm

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Interbane

We've made so many changes over the years that I think we have finally arrived at a very nice system. Having several discussions going concurrently would probably thin out the discussions too much. We don't have enough members participating in any individual book discussion as it is, so spreading out the active members to several different books doesn't seem wise.

Chris

Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:14 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Professor

Silver Contributor

I will do it Chris...but would LOVE help...since I start the new job tomorow.

Mr. P.

The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.

The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"

I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper

Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 5/3/05 9:02 pm

Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:16 am

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

I'll put you as the discussion leader and hopefully we'll get someone to join you. :)

Chris

Tue May 03, 2005 9:02 pm
Profile Email WWW

Chris:

I am not clear what it means to be a "discussion leader". Perhaps you could provide some definition, especially as to any technical responsibilities, or policing duties.

Provided it is what I think it is, I would be pleased to be considered a discussion leader in about a month or so, when the new has worn off, and supposing that I find a semi-permanent home here.

I am greatly encouraged so far. Great site, with good discussions. Just not enough participation.

MadArchitect and I will be so familiar with each other in a month or two that there won't be much new to say. Need more voices mixing it up.

WW

Wed May 04, 2005 9:37 am

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

wwdimmitt

The definition of a discussion leader is in the very first post of this thread. And we'll be done with this book and starting a new book at the end of June. If you would like to be a discussion leader for the next reading period that would be great. Each book has a different discussion leader....it isn't a permanent position. :)

And we have moderators to moderate the discussions in the event of problems. A discussion leader simply participates actively in the discussion and does their best to keep the conversation flowing. They can do it by creating new threads asking questions that they feel will stimulate the discussion, or by responding to existing posts on a regular basis.

Chris

Wed May 04, 2005 9:43 am
Profile Email WWW

Roger, willco.

Actually, it looks like I am already there, in any informal and practical sense.

Good onya!

WW

Wed May 04, 2005 11:58 am

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

...but misterpessimistic gets to wear the official Book Discussion Leader space helmet. He made me promise. :b

Chris

Thu May 05, 2005 1:35 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Professor

Silver Contributor

I would rather wear the booktalk g-string!

Available now at cafe press!

Mr. P.

The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.

The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"

I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper

Thu May 05, 2005 9:26 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.