• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

If you could live forever would you want to?

#21: Oct. - Dec. 2005 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

If you could live forever would you want to?

Unread post

If you could live forever would you want to?Results (total votes = 2):Of course...&nbsp2 / 100.0%&nbsp No way...&nbsp0 / 0.0%&nbsp
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Re: If you could live forever would you want to?

Unread post

Beats me. I'm not entirely sure that living forever would be all its cracked up to be. The fact that people can live to 80 and feel like they're ready to die seems to suggest that life would eventually lose its savor. If it's among the options, I'd say give me immortality with the option of relinquishing it should I ever find that it's not all it's cracked up to be. But I'd be hesitant to take it as a permanent option for fear of ending up in one of those fabled Wandering Jew scenarios, where I'd want to die, but couldn't.
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I'm not sure. If I lived forever, what would the aging process be like? Would my mind and body be that of a person under 50 or over 50? Maybe it would also be neat to explore the kind of circumstances under which one would like to live forever.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Maybe it would also be neat to explore the kind of circumstances under which one would like to live forever.It seems likely that you'd want to avoid the really serious decripitude of old age. I don't know that you'd necessarily want to stay the same age forever, but you'd want to attenuate the physical process of aging to some degree. You'd also want to avoid serious disability, I would think. And you'd just as likely want to remain cognizant for the duration. But I think I'd also want some garuntee that I wouldn't lapse into several centuries of boredom. The problem with immortality, it seems to me, is that there's no way out if the circumstances conspire to create a living hell.

Return to “The Ethical Brain - by Michael Gazzaniga”