• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

The March - Part 1 (pages 1 - 41)

#22: Dec. - Jan. 2006 (Fiction)
ldkrn

Re: Slavery/wealth

Unread post

"What do you guys think of the characters of Arly and Will so far? They're growing on me. I think they're intended to be taken as a pair, and we're invited to look as some of the contrasts between them. Any thoughts?"As I read the first few chapters, I'm thinking any commentary on character development or motivation is going to be pure speculation-we're provided generally very little background on any of these characters, and all we know of them is what's expressed in their words and thoughts. Although I think you're correct, the two are designed to be experienced as a pair, we primarily see Arly and the situation the boys find themselves in through the eyes of Will. Arly is a survivor and a realist; Will more hesitant and likely to consider consequences. At this point, though, early in the novel, they almost seem like comic relief, with their singular instinct for survival and wry observations on their plight..."You gotta eat, boy. They're intending to kill you doesn't mean you have to do it for 'em."I've been also engaged by the white women, sheltered and snobbish and confident in their own privilege despite the reality of what is going on around them..."Emily was terribly moved by the surgeon's kindness. At the same time, it confirmed the expectation of what was due her."One gets the feeling, reading that, that this was may end up being the best thing that ever happens to Emily and the others like her. Edited by: ldkrn at: 12/5/05 8:26 am

Return to “The March: A Novel - by E.L. Doctorow”