• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Introduction - a discussion

#23: Jan. - Mar. 2006 (Non-Fiction)
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Introduction - a discussion

Unread post

rivercOilQuote:2. i don't think the opening paragraph quoting a selection from the movie signs was very well placed. an interesting way to open a book, but the pop culture reference wasn't the best introduction to his defining naturalism.I think it was absolutely appropriate for "W" to use this clip from the movie. It not only underlines the historic debate between the supernatural and the empirical POV, but it also shows how our culture still buys into this false dichotomy. "W" also refers to this in his dedication, so it obviously has some import for him personally. So what is the big deal?I am offended by this monologue from the movie. I resent the conclusion that Shamalyan, through the character, comes to. I, for one and for many others I know, do NOT feel lost when faced with adversity. I look to my family and friends for support. I just do NOT turn to some made up, fictional being. I will stop short of saying that it is quite the opposite that is true. Oops...may I will NOT stop short. Oh well...The idea that all of us who are atheist or other than followers of so inane a myth as god and religion are lacking the resolve to succeed in life and to find courage within is surely of the same vein as the black pot and kettle.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper

Return to “Value & Virtue in a Godless Universe - by Erik J. Wielenberg”