Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:13 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
WHat are the chances.... 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Professor

Silver Contributor

Post WHat are the chances....
Does anyone here feel that there could be a confluence of circumstances that would bring about another atrocity such as the Witch Hunts? Crusades? Inquisition?

Do we think that the Christians are immune to irrational belief taking over again as it has so many times in the past?

Should we just give the Christians a pass because they have not persecuted or killed anyone RECENTLY?

Mr. P.

The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.

Once you perceive the irrevocable truth, you can no longer justify the irrational denial. - Mr. P.

The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"

I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper

Fri May 19, 2006 3:14 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Senior

Post Re: WHat are the chances....
McCarthyism could be argued to be a Witch Hunt. I think with enough hysteria, anything is possible and I doubt these types of irrational blame and punishment games will ever be completely removed from human history. History teaches us what to be weary of, but humans don't learn well from History.

Not sure where you are going with the whole Christian thing, this could happen to any group of peoples.

Fri May 19, 2006 7:10 pm
Profile YIM
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Professor

Silver Contributor

I specified Christians because I wanted to avoid people picking on Muslims and trying to point to terrorism. Also, I have heard much lately that Christians no longer persecute or kill in the name of god and was wondering what it would take for that to come about again. How far has the Christian mindset really come, since many look at Muslims as barbaric and a sub-par faith.

I think we are close to something like that with the current state of affairs with terrorism and the uber patriotism and crusade like talk.

That was all I was bringing up. My thoughts.

Mr. P.

The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.

Once you perceive the irrevocable truth, you can no longer justify the irrational denial. - Mr. P.

The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"

I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper

Fri May 19, 2006 7:16 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Thanks to seperation of church and state Christians no longer are killing the unfaithful. ::44

Fri May 19, 2006 9:01 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The Pope of Literature

misterpessimistic: Does anyone here feel that there could be a confluence of circumstances that would bring about another atrocity such as the Witch Hunts? Crusades? Inquisition?

Absolutely. I'd say it's probable that things like that will happen again. And they don't necessarily have to be related to religious belief. They could just as easy be the result of a secular panic. For that matter, political motivations have provided that justification for some of the biggest mass killings of the last 20 years.

Do we think that the Christians are immune to irrational belief taking over again as it has so many times in the past?

I don't think anyone's immune, and I don't think Christians are necessarily more prone.

Should we just give the Christians a pass because they have not persecuted or killed anyone RECENTLY?

Should we chastise the Christians because people they never met killed and persecuted in the name of their religion? Christianity is not a single organism -- it's not like the rabid dog you kill because you know it's not going to stop biting people. Individuals make the decisions concerning what they will and will not do with their religion, and the judgements that apply to one religious believer don't necessarily apply to another person of the same faith.

Sat May 20, 2006 1:31 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.