• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

What Month During Q2 Will You Be Reading?

#26: April - June 2006 & Nov. - Dec. 2010 (Non-Fiction)
riverc0il
Senior

What Month During Q2 Will You Be Reading?

Unread post

One of the problems I have noticed with the quarterly book discussions that 'In Person' book discussions do not have is having everyone reading the book at a different pace throughout the Quarter. In an 'In Person' Book Discussion, you would not be able to attend a meeting if you were not prepared by having read the selected chapters. So I was curious when everyone planned to begin the reading and participate in discussion.To get a better feel for both how many people plan on reading and when everyone will be reading, I would like to enquire which month you will begin reading this selection and when you plan to join the discussion. Please feel free to select a month and/or elaborate below.Cheers!-SteveResults (total votes = 11):April&nbsp8 / 72.7%&nbsp May&nbsp3 / 27.3%&nbsp June&nbsp0 / 0.0%&nbsp
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: What Month During Q2 Will You Be Reading?

Unread post

SteveI'm on about the 30th page right now. This thread is a good idea and I hope we hear from quite a few members.
riverc0il
Senior

Unread post

Excellent! I am up to page 90 so far. I took a short break from reading Harris to read Ender's Game for the Q2 fiction reading. Looks like we are already starting to get some discussion going here, a great start!-Steve
mal4mac

Unread post

I plan to read through it slowly and make lots of comments as I go along, so it might take the whole three months! I'm reading "Slow" by Carl Honore at the moment - he recommends slow reading, which looks just like what this forum was designed for. So slow down Steve and let's have some more great comments.- mal
riverc0il
Senior

Unread post

I was not suggesting to read fast... I was only trying to figure out how many other people would be reading and when they plan on participating. I volunteered at Chris's request to be a Discussion Leader and I thought it would be good to know when everyone will be participating.
GOD defiles Reason

Unread post

I've been reading a little and taking some notes. I'll start posting either tonight or tomorrow.May I suggest that we not use the chapter prefix for every new thread we start? At this rate it will quickly become difficult find the main thread for each chapter.
riverc0il
Senior

Unread post

Agreed. Unless a specific topic that bridges the entire book is to be discussed, we should probably keep discussion within the orginal chapter threads started by Chris. I think some of the sub-threads have/will develop as a unifying critique of a specific idea covering the entire book and those are good threads to seperate out.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Have not started it yet...but it is in my active reading plie...so I should be starting it soon. I am reading "Enders Game" right now. I have been reding 2-3 books at a time lately, but for some reason, I do not feel like doing that at this time. I may just finish "EG" and then start the Harris book. So maybe in a few days...Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.Once you perceive the irrevocable truth, you can no longer justify the irrational denial. - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Well, I figure since I've been contributing to discussion, I ought to pay at least a token admission by reading the book. I won't be buying it (sorry, Chris -- I'll make it up to you as soon as I get my taxes paid), but the university library has a few copies. Unfortunately, they're all checked out at the moment, so I'll have to wait until someone decides to bring a copy back. But if it's any consolation, I'll probably burn through the book in a couple of days when I do get my hands on it.
riverc0il
Senior

Unread post

Glad to hear you will be giving it a read, MadArchitect! It is definitely a quick read, if not for Ender's Game and skiing half the week, I probably would have finished it by now.

Return to “The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason - by Sam Harris”