• In total there are 17 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 16 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Official Poll - 3rd Quarter 2006 NONFICTION book POLL!

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
riverc0il
Senior

Re: Official Poll - 3rd Quarter 2006 NONFICTION book POLL!

Unread post

Mad has great points and I agree with them. Some may recall that in the previous Q2 Poll, Mad predicted a poor showing for End of Faith. Turns out that End of Faith did quite well for discussion, which says a lot considering I don't think any one participating in the disucssion thought it was a good book, well argued, or mad logical arguements even if most agreed with many of the premises. I ascented to Mad's suggestion that if a religiously oriented book failed in Q2, we should consider other alternatives. Well, End of Faith generated a lot of good qualitity discussion and I am still going to advocate for other alternatives. The last two readings were heavy on the Athiestic perspective so I am ready for something a little different. This IS a Freethought Book Discussion group, but that does not mean that every book we read need be about religion. Quite frankly, I am tired of the same old arguements and the same old end points of members going back and forth for several points before agreeing to disagree. Thank you for adding "Peace" to the poll Chris. That seemed like an odd omission. While Directive looked interesting, it just isn't grabbing me for a discussion and I have no immediate interest in the other two books. Put me down for three votes for Peace, this title really interests me, and I plan to read it regardless of whether or not it is discussed on BookTalk.
riverc0il
Senior

Unread post

Quote:It may be too late to derail this train, but I recommend against A Peace to End All Peace. Though it's a very good book, we'd have nothing to discuss.The book is a diplomatic narrative history: this British ambassador did X, this Turkish leader did Y, etc. I honestly don't see what topics we would bring up. We could comment on Turkish stupidity for entering World War I or British arrogance in dividing the Ottoman Empire. Beyond that, the conversation would be stillborn.this reasoning would tend to indicate that any history class ever taught should be straight rote learning and dictation with no discussion. i believe discussion in history is incredibly important. i am currently reading a history title that brings up the important topic of how history is recorded, who records it, when it is recorded, how soon after the events is it recorded, etc. essentially, it proves through a very interesting example that history can be altered and perceptions changed, even when reporting strictly on the facts.peace looks like a title that has a very diligent historian researcher as the author, so i suspect facts presented will be very factual and not containing much if any social/political/cultural bias or interpretation. but such things could easily be discussed. alternative solutions, what should have been done, if something different was done would the situation be better, etc. are all important discussions. the popular saying is if we don't learn from history we are destined to repeat it, or something like that. we clearly haven't learned much from history yet, so i think if anything, there isn't enough historical discussion taking place. with a history of the middle east, surely we will touch on various aspects of government, economic systems, international politics, etc. that all could be very applicable to today's events and our own knowledge.mad makes a very good point using End of Faith as an example of great discussion branching off the book in new and unexpected directions. a book may be a dry but still allow for decent discussion. just my two cents.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I think this poll can come down on the evening of Wednesday the 14th. This is giving us one extra day to vote or change votes, due to adding the extra book a few days into the polling process.
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Unread post

I'm definitely going to participate, and I'm glad the two books in the running are the two I would have chosen. Breaking the Spell appeals to me because it is a cultural studies look at the phenomenon of religion (and I can just see the claim of it being 'scientific and rational' discussed at length here!).A Peace to End All Peace appeals to me because it is an area of history/current affairs that I always feel I don't understand, and definitely should. We'll have lots to discuss, with perceptions of history, and extrapolation to current events...my only hesitation with this book are the uncomfortable flashbacks to a Poli Sci course on Middle Eastern history that I failed in 2nd year university (actually, I didn't know how to study, and I just sort of ...stopped going to class. At the 3-hour final exam, I spent 30 minutes writing a story about an Arts student's hopes dashed against the rocks of reality when she couldn't understand Political Science. Not my brightest moment.)So...If you'll accept my vote after such a long hiatus:2 for Breaking1 for Peace "All beings are the owners of their deeds, the heirs to their deeds." Loricat's Book NookCelebrating the Absurd
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Banner of Heaven - 6Breaking the Spell - 14Directive - 1Peace - 15 The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.Once you perceive the irrevocable truth, you can no longer justify the irrational denial. - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

At this point I am thinking of changing my votes and want to encourage anyone that wants to do likewise to feel free.
tomiichi

Unread post

I really wanted to vote for Banner but since it's so far behind I don't want to waste my votes, so I will vote:2- Peace1- Spell Edited by: tomiichi at: 6/11/06 4:36 pm
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I'll change all 3 to "Breaking the Spell"
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Banner of Heaven - 3Breaking the Spell - 18Directive - 1Peace - 17 The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.Once you perceive the irrevocable truth, you can no longer justify the irrational denial. - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Classical Celt edits his first post and changed his vote to be 3 votes for "A Peace to End All Peace."

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”