• In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Murmur reviews short stories

A dedicated forum for discussing and celebrating your favorite short stories and short story authors.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Murmur
Internet Sage

Re: Murmur reviews short stories

Unread post

I read some online critiques of The Night Land. It looks like people really dislike it a lot. The stuff I read reminded me of some of the flaws in The Night Land which are:
Spoiler
  • Hodgson was tediously repetitive in parts. This is true.
  • Hodgson included fiddly details in parts where he didn't need to. This is true.
  • Hodgson used a fake, archaic-sounding language. This is true, but I liked it.
  • Naani acted too childish and playful when she was trekking with the hero back to the Last Redoubt. This seemed weird to me. Hodgson did indeed write that she was playful and silly on the way to the Last Redoubt, but I forgave it by thinking that life must go on. Even though she was miserable at the time that she was rescued, people can't stay miserable every second of the day. Also, her age was not stated; she may have been a teenager, meaning that she may have been immature and acted innapropriately. Of course, it could just be poor writing on Hodgson's part.
The name of Naani's home was the Lesser Redoubt, not the Little Redoubt like I had misremembered.

Even with The Night Land's flaws, I still really like it. I'm going to reread it some day.

Return to “Short Story Discussions”