• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Looking for books ChatGPT can't recommend

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ksjdnfgjdfgjnkdfgkjn
Official Newbie!

Looking for books ChatGPT can't recommend

Unread post

I liked the book Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect by Roger WIlliams. Typically I get book recommendations from ChatGPT 3.5. The only issue is, it will not recommend books that go against its castrated ethical guidelines such as not being able to promote violence and suggest gory books.

I am looking for cyberpunk/futuristic novels. Ones that explore themes of robot sentience, digitization of consciousness, matrix/animatrix movie themes, movie 'her' themes, and anything related to this that might have very 'edgy' stuff.

Recent stuff I've read:

The singularity - Ray Kurzwei
Superintelligence - Nick Bostrom
Robopocalypse - Daniel H. Wilson
Ted Chiang - Exhalation & Stories of my life and yours

Ted Chiang's story of a robot having an existential crisis is beautiful. The grittiness of Metamorphosis is entertaining with its unethical optimized logic. Robopocalypse created a neat atmosphere but wish it had more realistic and scarier tech.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: Looking for books ChatGPT can't recommend

Unread post

Chat GPT Prompt: Please recommend five science fiction books that are violent and gory.

Chat GPT Response: If you're looking for science fiction books with violent and gory elements, here are five recommendations:

"Neuromancer" by William Gibson
This cyberpunk classic is known for its gritty portrayal of a future world dominated by artificial intelligence, hackers, and corporate power struggles. It features intense action scenes and vivid descriptions of a dystopian future.

"Altered Carbon" by Richard K. Morgan
Set in a future where consciousness can be transferred between bodies, this novel explores themes of identity, immortality, and extreme violence. It includes graphic depictions of combat and bodily harm.

"Blindsight" by Peter Watts
This hard science fiction novel delves into first contact with an alien intelligence and delves into deep questions of consciousness. It contains intense and sometimes disturbing scenes, including moments of graphic violence.

"The Stars My Destination" by Alfred Bester
This classic revenge tale set in a future where people have the ability to "jaunte" or teleport. The protagonist, Gully Foyle, is a ruthless antihero on a quest for vengeance. The book contains scenes of intense violence.

"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy
While not strictly science fiction, this post-apocalyptic novel depicts a world devastated by an unspecified cataclysm. It's a bleak and violent portrayal of survival in a harsh environment.

Please be aware that these books contain graphic and intense content, so they may not be suitable for all readers. Always check content warnings and consider your own preferences before diving into any book.
Murmur
Internet Sage

Unread post

ksjdnfgjdfgjnkdfgkjn wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:06 am I liked the book Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect by Roger WIlliams. Typically I get book recommendations from ChatGPT 3.5. The only issue is, it will not recommend books that go against its castrated ethical guidelines such as not being able to promote violence and suggest gory books.

I am looking for cyberpunk/futuristic novels. Ones that explore themes of robot sentience, digitization of consciousness, matrix/animatrix movie themes, movie 'her' themes, and anything related to this that might have very 'edgy' stuff.

Recent stuff I've read:

The singularity - Ray Kurzwei
Superintelligence - Nick Bostrom
Robopocalypse - Daniel H. Wilson
Ted Chiang - Exhalation & Stories of my life and yours

Ted Chiang's story of a robot having an existential crisis is beautiful. The grittiness of Metamorphosis is entertaining with its unethical optimized logic. Robopocalypse created a neat atmosphere but wish it had more realistic and scarier tech.
Maybe try the Cyberiad? All of the characters in the book are sentient robots, but the settings are kind of like medieval Europe.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

AI is so much fun. I mean... it is until it kills us one day. I never thought about asking for book recommendations.
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!

Return to “Everything Else”