• In total there are 14 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 14 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Where do yall get your books?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.

Where do y'all get your books?

Library (physical book)

19%
Library (e-book)

17%
Buy it online

31%
Buy it in stores

22%
Other?

11%

Total votes: 36
salflowers012
Official Newbie!
United States of America

Where do yall get your books?

Unread post

I'm curious to see the different ways people get their reading material. Do yall have a favorite bookstore, website, or library to source your readings?

Personally, I like borrowing e-books from public libraries. I have accumulated many library cards from each city I lived in. I use the app OverDrive (soon to be Libby) to access books from each library. For the most part I'm able to find all the books I want.
AmeliaIvanov
Official Newbie!
India

Re: Where do yall get your books?

Unread post

Reading self help book is my hobby. I have read about 50+ books now and in 2023 I've decided to read atleast 12 books. All my books is coming from one source. I really like to get all novel and school books online from Amazon and ebay.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Reading self help book is my hobby. I have read about 50+ books now ...
Have all those self help books helped? :P
AmeliaIvanov
Official Newbie!
India

Unread post

LanDroid wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:08 am
Reading self help book is my hobby. I have read about 50+ books now ...
Have all those self help books helped? :P
I can understand why you might find reading self-help books amusing, but they can actually provide many benefits to those who read them. Self-help books often offer practical advice and guidance on how to improve oneself, overcome challenges, and achieve personal goals.

Reading self-help books can help you to gain insight into your own behavior and thought patterns, and provide you with tools to help you make positive changes in your life. They can also offer a fresh perspective on issues that you may be struggling with and provide you with inspiration and motivation to keep moving forward.

In fact, many successful people credit self-help books for their personal growth and achievements. So while it's okay to have a laugh about the genre, don't dismiss it entirely. Who knows, you might just find a book that resonates with you and helps you achieve your own goals!
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

I am not laughing at the self-help genre. I have read some and they have helped to the limited extent that I have been able to change.

I was shocked that you had read over 50 of them and was curious if all those books have helped you make improvements.
MLS_C
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I live in a Tri-State area and hold seven library cards. I can physically check out books with four of the cards and use the online collection with the other three eCards. These eCards are from the largest cities in the state. I have a Kindle Fire HD 8 for the three eCards. Won the Kindle in the summer reading program as I read more books and wrote reviews of them than any of the others who participated in the program.

Still I find books on Amazon and even some interesting finds at the Dollar Tree store. Friends of the Library groups have large book sales from time to time also. Then there's the Internet Public Library at

https://www.ipl.org/
All human actions have one or more of these seven human causes: Chance, Nature, Compulsion, Habit, Reason, Passion, and Desire. Aristotle
John Dilinger
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

borrow in library
ewomack
Almost Comfortable
United States of America

Unread post

I get them wherever I can. Some online, some in stores. I just went on a small road trip and brought back about 3 books (2 from the Kurt Vonnegut Museum in Indianapolis). I've purchased books online from Amazon, Ebay, Bookshop.org, AbeBooks, BetterWorldBooks, and others that my brain isn't conjuring up at the moment.
The Bookworm
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Personally I think nothing beats going into a bookshop and browsing through books for the best part of an outing, my favourite shops are Waterstones and Foyles, though I think they have merged now? If I can't get into a physical shop, Amazon has a lot of good books too and there are a few extra benefits with buying from them as they offer their Kindle service where you can read the book online and they often have books in stock from self-published authors which I might not ordinarily find in usual bookshops. If I'm on a budget, I try my local library which has tons of books - only negative is there often is a limited stock if the book is very popular.
OpanaPointer
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

(USian). I like Half Priced Books, especially when it's right next to a Barnes and Noble. Alibris.com for the rara avis.

Return to “Everything Else”