• In total there are 43 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 42 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

1 John 1:9 - Repent and it is forgiven? - Mistranslation

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Worlds

1E - BANNED
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Mistranslations proving the Theology repent and be forgiven wrong.

Featured video!

https://www.docw.us/mistranslations
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: 1 John 1:9 - Repent and it is forgiven? - Mistranslation

Unread post

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
1John 1:9 New International Version (NIV)
Mr. WoolHead states this is a mistranslation because he believes some heinous sins cannot be forgiven. He claims Judas Iscariot betraying Jesus is one example.
If we renounce our sins, He is trustworthy and righteous to permit us forgiveness from our sins and refine us from all unrighteousness.
Disciples of Christ version
For unclear reasons WoolHead believes this version is significantly different from the NIV. However he seems to be unaware that confession and faithfulness have nothing to do with salvation. Matthew 25 makes this very clear.
41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink,
43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’
44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’
46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”
So you can have all the faith and confession of sins possible, but if you are not performing all of these specific acts of charity with unknown frequency, this trustworthy and righteous God will send you to hell for eternity.
Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: 1 John 1:9 - Repent and it is forgiven? - Mistranslation

Unread post

It seems the author is arguing the greek word ὁμολογῶμεν (homologōmen) at https://biblehub.com/interlinear/1_john/1-9.htm means "renounce" not "confess".

https://biblehub.com/greek/homologo_men_3670.htm states homologōmen only appears once in the Bible and only means confess.

The alleged mistranslation looks to be a quibble about theology, based on the belief that confession of sin is not sufficient for salvation.

The Biblical concept of salvation is arguably highly allegorical, originally meaning the transformation of the earth into heaven as called for in the Lord's Prayer, not the conventional individualist myth of going to heaven after death. That answers Landroid's argument about the Last Judgement, based on the view that if we do not transform the earth through works of mercy and love we are on a path to destruction.

Also, the distinction between confess, repent and renounce is quite slippery. The original Gospel, Mark, opens by saying the message of Christ focuses on forgiveness conditional upon repentance. The idea being that if we are genuinely sorry for something we have done, understanding why and how it was wrong, and are committed not to do it again, then the blame and guilt can be erased in the divine ledger based on this conversion of the heart. But if our confession is just "I am sorry you thought it was wrong", with no actual admission of guilt or error, there is no forgiveness.

https://biblehub.com/interlinear/mark/1-4.htm gives repentance as a translation for the Greek word μετανοίας (metanoias). Metanoia has a more transformative meaning than just feeling sorry. Wikipedia states
"In Christian theology, metanoia is commonly understood as "a transformative change of heart; especially: a spiritual conversion". The term suggests repudiation, change of mind, repentance, and atonement; but "conversion" and "reformation" may best approximate its connotation."
Overall I don't think it is right to assert a mistranslation in 1 John 1:9. Rather, what is needed is to see that the original church felt renunciation was intrinsic to confession of sin.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”