• In total there are 33 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 32 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Hurricane Ian

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Hurricane Ian

Unread post

Anyone hear from Chris?
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: Hurricane Ian

Unread post

The storm actually hit south of us. It was projected to nail Tampa Bay as a category 4 but because it hit land down in Sarasota or fort Myers we had nothing more than tropical Force winds. No big deal at all. I was able to go out walking in it without a problem. But it has been a rough few days because I had to put storm shutters and plywood up on all of our windows and doors. We didn't need them but I still did it because we thought we were going to be nailed hard. The people south of us sure have had their lives changed forever. We lucked out for sure. Thank you for asking. All is well with us.
FB message from Chris received a few minutes ago.
PeterDF
Freshman
Great Britain

Unread post

Good to know you are well, Chris. Thinking of you. Take care. :-D
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Thank you LanDroid and PeterDF. :)
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

I stayed home on Pine Island. There was 2 feet of water surrounding my house. 1 foot inside my house. It was the duration that pissed me off. Down here we are used to this sort of thing but Ian was a monster. For several or more days after there was gun fire. I’m pretty ambiguous towards guns but I have been carrying a sidearm for days now. The road to the island was washed out. Rumors were bad to worse but this place is unique we setup our own barges brought in supplies and laid the grounds for first responders, utilities. Honch Industries rebuilt the road to the island in less than a week. The state fought against the locals but we pushed back. Ron DeSantis almost blew it, there claim was that it couldn’t be done that we would have to evacuate. That wasn’t going to happen.
Neighbors have pulled together to feed, house and fuel the recovery and rebuild process. None of this is fun but there is humor and comradeship through physical and mentally challenging times.
The president was here. The governor, plus a host of other important people. I’m confident that daily routine will return sooner than later but the environmental impact is here for decades or more.
The death toll is going to rise for sometime. It’s strange to clean up and rebuild while at the same time cadavers are being dragged out of the mess that surrounds us.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

Glad you are okay, Taylor. Sorry for the damage and discouragement.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Taylor, I didn't know you lived on Pine Island. We used to live in Fort Myers (until about 2007). We were there during Charlie, which was a bad enough storm. But Ian was much larger by comparison. I'm glad to hear you're okay. I think I heard Randy Wayne White lives there? Anyway, hope your house wasn't too damaged. I can't imagine living through a storm like that. What a nightmare.
-Geo
Question everything
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Taylor, I had no idea you were down there and dealing with this nightmare. I'm so sorry to hear about what you've experienced and what you'll undoubtedly have to go through in the upcoming months. A foot of water in your home is horrific. Do you have multiple floors?
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

The good news: Thinks are moving fast. I’ve got the damaged furniture and appliances removed from the house. I’ve got my insurance claims filed. There are hundreds of people rebuilding the power grid and there is running water.
I’ve been mostly prepared for this sort of thing. There’s food, water, and temporary power for my house. I’ve been rotating between two generators that I managed to keep above the water. One is quite heavy but strength of will I suspect motivated me to save it.
Mine is a single story concrete block home with an updated metal roof.
(Curtesy of Hurricane Charlie) interestingly this is the fourth hurricane that I have been through.
I’ve cutout the moist drywall, cleaned and disinfected the house.
I’ve been so active for this past couple weeks that I’ve dropped 10 pounds. At first it was hit or miss between eating or bathing but once the road was fixed our local grocery store and petrol station opened so I’m eating more and able to get fuel as I need it. Since the house is about as prepared as it can be for repairs I have been going to work at York Road Marine and cleaning up there, we have boats everywhere many floated to the restaurant across the road and canal. We’re assembling a massive barge with a 120 ton crain for recovery of those that were displaced and too assist in other areas of cleanup and restoration.
I’m not writing that we live for this sort of thing but we certainly have the means of rapid response necessary.
Geo: it’s to bad our roads didn’t cross when you were down here, I’ve been here since 2000.
Thanks to you all for the kind words. :)
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

So... I have a sinus infection! Whatever it is that is oozing from my left nostril...quite frankly is something I’ve not encountered in life before, it not only has a funky garbage truck juice like smell but the taste is not surpassed by the worst condiment you could imagine. It is going away. I think it was a result of mold, there was a lot of it covering parts of walls and studs. It must’ve been in the couch and bed I was sleeping on. All the nasty stuff is gone and as I wrote my sinus issue is going on to greener pastures.

Return to “Everything Else”