• In total there are 11 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
LiteraryPrince5
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

It's been a long time coming, but I've finally gotten around to reading 1984 by George Orwell. I'm not done with it yet (no spoilers please!) but so far I've been noting down examples of the rules of the world and of the protagonists perspective of people in comparison to the world. I can't think of a better way to describe it currently, but most of the quotes I put into this category are about Wilson considering himself a lunatic, and his judgment on who would be vaporized based on their relationship with Big Brother. If anyone has a way that I can phrase that specific category better, please let me know!
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: 1984

Unread post

:welcome:
BookTalk discussed Owell's book 1984 in late 2018 to early 2019. You can check that out at the link below. Feel free to join in and add to the discussion even at this late date, what the heck?
1984-by-george-orwell-f282.html

You are also welcome to join any of our more recent discussions below. Frankly we need more activity...
book-discussions
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

LiteraryPrince5 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:54 am most of the quotes I put into this category are about Wilson considering himself a lunatic, and his judgment on who would be vaporized based on their relationship with Big Brother.
Rereading the book after decades, for our discussion referenced by LanDroid, I also was struck by Wilson's characterization of his own craziness. I am reminded of it as I see the women of Iran thinking they will overthrow the Islamic Republic, and the Russians who still dare to protest Putin's idiocy in Ukraine.

I think Orwell knew something of what he was writing about. He surely must have felt more than a little foolish backing the Republican side in the Spanish Civil War (I have never read "Homage to Catalonia" but I might some day), especially after Guernica made it clear the "Free World" was not going to rescue them from the fascist bloc.
If anyone has a way that I can phrase that specific category better, please let me know!
"Unpersons in waiting"?
LiteraryPrince5
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

LanDroid wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:53 am :welcome:
BookTalk discussed Orwell's book 1984 from late 2018 to early 2019. You can check that out at the link below. Feel free to join in and add to the discussion even at this late date, what the heck?
1984-by-george-orwell-f282.html

You are also welcome to join any of our more recent discussions below. Frankly, we need more activity...
book-discussions

Thanks for directing me to that page! I'm still new to this so I don't know how to use a lot of things haha! I will probably look into that thread later today, as someone who is fascinated by worldbuilding I have a lot of good things to say about the world of 1984.
LiteraryPrince5
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Harry Marks wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:15 pm
LiteraryPrince5 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:54 am most of the quotes I put into this category are about Wilson considering himself a lunatic, and his judgment on who would be vaporized based on their relationship with Big Brother.
Rereading the book after decades, for our discussion referenced by LanDroid, I also was struck by Wilson's characterization of his own craziness. I am reminded of it as I see the women of Iran thinking they will overthrow the Islamic Republic, and the Russians who still dare to protest Putin's idiocy in Ukraine.

I think Orwell knew something of what he was writing about. He surely must have felt more than a little foolish backing the Republican side in the Spanish Civil War (I have never read "Homage to Catalonia" but I might some day), especially after Guernica made it clear the "Free World" was not going to rescue them from the fascist bloc.
If anyone has a way that I can phrase that specific category better, please let me know!
"Unpersons in waiting"?
Ooh, unpersons in waiting is good! I might use that. But yes, I think the characterization of lunacy as simply a small majority is a very interesting way of thinking about his own mental state, and in my opinion an accurate one. I'm going to switch this convo over to the 1984 thread later, but thanks for the reply! :-D

Return to “What are you currently reading?”