Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:30 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Crime and Punishment - Resources & Links 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Crime and Punishment - Resources & Links
Crime and Punishment

Resources & Links

SparkNotes summary of Crime and Punishment

CliffsNotes summary of Crime and Punishment

Read Crime and Punishment for free online at Project Gutenberg

Read Encyclopedia Britannica's summary of Crime and Punishment

SuperSummary.com summary of Crime and Punishment

The following user would like to thank Chris OConnor for this post:
Robert Tulip
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:20 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

Post Re: Crime and Punishment - Resources & Links
https://welovetranslations.com/2020/04/ ... unishment/

Good summary of translation issues - I plan to read the Garnett translation linked above from Project Gutenberg.

The following user would like to thank Robert Tulip for this post:
Chris OConnor
Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:20 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

I didn't even consider that there might be different translations to consider. Seems like we're about to read the bible. :lol:

Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:44 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

Chris OConnor wrote:
I didn't even consider that there might be different translations to consider. Seems like we're about to read the bible. :lol:

The Garnett translation is old but generally well regarded. She translated six dozen Russian texts into English more than a century ago, working quite quickly, so there may be some minor errors.

Speaking of translation errors in the Bible, I am currently reading Jesus from Outer Space by Richard Carrier. He points out systematic mistakes in translations of Paul's Epistles to add in language suggesting that Jesus lived on earth, when Paul never said any such thing. Such an ideological agenda based on dogmatic assumptions is one example of a common translation error.

Then there is just poetic literary style, and Garnett is well regarded for this, despite using some old fashioned words, such as "damsel".

Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:52 pm
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

So now my job is to find a Kindle or Audible book with the Garnett translation.

Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:03 pm
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Well that was easy.

https://www.amazon.com/Punishment-Trans ... 631&sr=8-3

Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:04 pm
Profile Email WWW
Upper Echelon 2nd Class

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

I just got a copy from the library translated by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky. Maybe we can ignore the book and just argue about the translations. :lol:

Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25

Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:35 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Elder

Silver Contributor

Interesting to see how they differ.

Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:01 am

Gold Contributor

My dad passed away two years ago, and I inherited nine boxes of his books, which included Crime and Punishment. I have not yet organised to get the books out of the boxes, so I looked through and found it, a lovely old hard cover of the Garnett translation. I also have downloaded it from Gutenberg.

Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:07 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Elder

Silver Contributor

My edition is the Oliver Ready translation.

Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:29 pm
Getting Comfortable

I've read this book in a few variations, I haven't had a problem with the translations, I mean, you know what they mean, right? The whole picture always comes out. The translation isn't the topic, I hope, it's the book itself.

Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:37 am
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.