• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

WANTED: October, November & December NON-FICTION suggestions!

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: WANTED: October, November & December NON-FICTION suggestions!

Unread post

Geo, that all makes perfect sense and I've thought of those very same issues many times over the years. Nobody can compete with Amazon. Just think of the power Amazon, Facebook, Google and Apple have over our lives. They really control the world.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

I am concerned about the power Amazon has and is trying to grab... Like all the techs. Pay damn taxes.

I use Amazon but I am definitely trying to use it as little as possible. I will cart stuff and then see if I can find it locally. Books I do not buy from Amazon at all anymore.

I do and will still use Kindle. But only for select few books.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

BookTalk does a lot of thinking about thinking correctly. We're reading Think Again by Adam Grant and previously discussed Good Thinking by Guy Harrison, Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman, Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely, When Good Thinking Goes Bad by Todd Riniolo and On Being Certain: Believing You Are Right Even When You're Not by Richard Burton.

So how about taking up some of the concepts in those books by reading one we know will challenge our ideas, one we will probably absolutely hate? I don't have specific recommendations, but perhaps a well regarded book that challenges evolution, climate change, the scientific method, atheism, Covid-19, critical thinking, or diversity? There is a risk - this could be an fascinating experiment or a highly annoying failure. We have avoided this in the past - is BookTalk up for that challenge?

On edit:
I checked back again and stand corrected: BookTalk did accept this challenge once or twice. We read Science Was Born of Christianity: The Teaching of Fr. Stanley L. Jaki by Stacy Trasancos. This was advocated by a stahrwe, a prominent poster at that time. The author is a stripper turned chemist and then Catholic theologian. This probably was not the best example of a challenging book because Stanley Jaki believed that only physicists (and maybe chemists) are scientists. All other scientific disciplines such as biology, psychology, medicine, anthropology, etc. are merely engaging in "reasoned discourse."

Another challenging book may have been Christ in Egypt: The Horus-Jesus Connection by D.M. Murdock, AKA Acharya S. I didn't read that one, so not sure.

Anyway, are we up for another challenge of this type?
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I think such a discussion could be quite engaging despite how it annoys us at times. Just try to find a few books that fall into this category and present them with perhaps a brief explanation of why you think we might all benefit/grow from a discussion of that book.

As a child I used to pick up whatever books my foster parents had in the house. They usually weren't ideal for a young boy, but it really made a difference in my life and perspective on the world. I love your idea of tackling a book that we're potentially going to want to rip apart in frustration. OK, my words mot yours. But this could be fun.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

We could have two non-fiction selections - a regular one plus a challenge for those bored by all the bias confirmation. :-D :hmm:

Ok here is one challenge item just published yesterday, so it should be "fresh." Believing Is Seeing: A Physicist Explains How Science Shattered His Atheism and Revealed the Necessity of Faith by Michael Guillen, PhD.
Is your worldview enlightened enough to accommodate both science and God at the same time? Dr. Michael Guillen, a best-selling author, Emmy award–winning journalist and former physics instructor at Harvard, used to be an Atheist—until science changed his mind. Once of the opinion that people of faith are weak, small-minded folks who just don’t understand science, Dr. Guillen ultimately concluded that not only does science itself depend on faith, but faith is actually the mightiest power in the universe.

...Is it true that “seeing is believing?” Or is it possible that reality can be perceived most clearly with the eyes of faith—and that truth is bigger than proof? Let Dr. Guillen be your guide as he brilliantly argues for a large and enlightened worldview consistent with both God and modern science.

Here’s another challenge, you have probably heard of this scientist. He comments on Covid-19 policy from time to time. It appears he believes in the big bang and evolution, but also believes God was involved. Francis S. Collins is one of the country's leading geneticists and the longtime head of the Human Genome Project. Prior to coming to Washington, he helped to discover the genetic misspellings that cause cystic fibrosis, neurofibromatosis, and Huntington's disease. He lives in Bethesda, Maryland, and in his spare time he enjoys riding a motorcycle and playing guitar.

Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief by Francis Collins. An instant bestseller from Templeton Prize–winning author Francis S. Collins, The Language of God provides the best argument for the integration of faith and logic since C.S. Lewis’s Mere Christianity.

It has long been believed that science and faith cannot mingle. Faith rejects the rational, while science restricts us to a life with no meaning beyond the physical. It is an irreconcilable war between two polar-opposite ways of thinking and living. Written for believers, agnostics, and atheists alike, The Language of God provides a testament to the power of faith in the midst of suffering without faltering from its logical stride. Readers will be inspired by Collin’s personal story of struggling with doubt, as well as the many revelations of the wonder of God’s creation that will forever shape the way they view the world around them.

Let's also try to pick something from a different topic, may need some help...
Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

I would like to read Under A White Sky by Elizabeth Kolbert

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/book ... h-kolbert/

Another that I have just read is Fast This Way by Dave Asprey. I don't think Booktalk has ever read any health or diet books. This is one that I like. https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/ ... t-this-way
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

The Under a White Sky blurb mentions a species of fish that are endangered and live in only ONE place on earth, Devils Hole in the Mojave. I learned about this place and these fish from the late Neil Peart, drummer of the Legendary band Rush in his book Ghost Rider.

So fascinating.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Rationality: What It Is, Why It Seems Scarce, Why It Matters
By Steven Pinker

This new Pinker book will be released on September 28, 2021
Attachments
41YkeJf2zNL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
41YkeJf2zNL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (24.73 KiB) Viewed 3541 times
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I'm creating the poll right now so this thread will be locked. Thanks for all the great book suggestions guys.

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”