• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Steven Pinker - Rationality - Sept 2021 release date

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Steven Pinker - Rationality - Sept 2021 release date

Unread post

I posted this, inadvertently, in an archived thread. I hate using my phone to post here...but...here is the suggestion.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08WK3JNLT/re ... GHX34C7TBN

Can reading a book make you more rational? Can it help us understand why there is so much irrationality in the world? Steven Pinker, author of Enlightenment Now (Bill Gates’s "new favorite book of all time”) answers all the questions here

Today humanity is reaching new heights of scientific understanding--and also appears to be losing its mind. How can a species that developed vaccines for Covid-19 in less than a year produce so much fake news, medical quackery, and conspiracy theorizing?

Pinker rejects the cynical cliché that humans are simply irrational--cavemen out of time saddled with biases, fallacies, and illusions. After all, we discovered the laws of nature, lengthened and enriched our lives, and set out the benchmarks for rationality itself. We actually think in ways that are sensible in the low-tech contexts in which we spend most of our lives, but fail to take advantage of the powerful tools of reasoning we’ve discovered over the millennia: logic, critical thinking, probability, correlation and causation, and optimal ways to update beliefs and commit to choices individually and with others. These tools are not a standard part of our education, and have never been presented clearly and entertainingly in a single book--until now.

Rationality also explores its opposite: how the rational pursuit of self-interest, sectarian solidarity, and uplifting mythology can add up to crippling irrationality in a society. Collective rationality depends on norms that are explicitly designed to promote objectivity and truth.

Rationality matters. It leads to better choices in our lives and in the public sphere, and is the ultimate driver of social justice and moral progress. Brimming with Pinker’s customary insight and humor, Rationality will enlighten, inspire, and empower.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Steven Pinker - Rationality - Sept 2021 release date

Unread post

Too bad this book isn't available for a few months. We'll add it to the next poll.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Yes. I will be reading nonetheless
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

It will be on the poll I am creating right now. Great suggestion.

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”