Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:03 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2
What NON-FICTION book would you like to read and discuss next? 
Getting Comfortable

Post Re: What NON-FICTION book would you like to read and discuss next?
Thanks Mr.Pessimistic I will take a look. Have a good day

Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:07 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

:bananen_smilies085: :bananen_smilies090: :bananen_smilies012: :bananen_smilies008: :bananen_smilies022: :bananadance:

Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:40 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

I'm going to simply create a poll with books soon. I'm not sure why our regulars aren't suggesting books but we're due for selecting a new non-fiction.

Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:54 pm
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

The following book would be excellent for group discussion. Richard Dawkins has a new book coming out on May 7th called Books do Furnish a Life: An electrifying celebration of science writing.

Books Do Furnish a Life is divided by theme, including celebrating nature, exploring humanity, and interrogating faith. For the first time, it brings together Richard Dawkins' forewords, afterwords and introductions to the work of some of the leading thinkers of our age - Carl Sagan, Lawrence Krauss, Jacob Bronowski, Lewis Wolpert - with a selection of his reviews to provide an electrifying celebration of science writing, both fiction and non-fiction. It is also a sparkling addition to Dawkins' own remarkable canon of work.

Take a look again at some of those names. We have done live chat sessions here on BookTalk.org with Richard Dawkins, Matt Ridley, Steven Pinker and Carl Sagan's widow, Ann Druyan. So this book contains the writing of some of our favorite authors.

Please read the book description and let me know what you think.

Attachments:
51gmUJ+pcDL._SL250_.jpg
51gmUJ+pcDL._SL250_.jpg [ 14.1 KiB | Viewed 487 times ]

The following user would like to thank Chris OConnor for this post:
geo
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:19 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Elder

Silver Contributor

I will read any of these. So... Lets get to voting!!

Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:03 pm
Official Newbie!

Books that take place in gritty dark settings are some of the best in my opinion. Dark fiction that offers escapism from the mundane. Interview with the Vampire is a great book to read that is drenched in Halloween like nostalgia. I assume that most of you are familiar with the movie, but not with the book. The book gives one quite an adventure in New Orleans.
Interview with the Vampire: https://amzn.to/3dROzrt

There is a lesser known sequel to this book called The Vampire Lestat. I bet you the book will humor you and terrify you. The book is about the antagonist from Interview with the Vampire (Tom Cruise).
The Vampire Lestat: https://amzn.to/3vf4e9S

Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:19 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Elder

Silver Contributor

I read the first three: Interview, Lestat, Queen of the Damned about jeez...30 years ago. All engaged me as well written and a new spin on the genre.

Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:59 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Chatterbox

Chris OConnor wrote:
I'm not sure why our regulars aren't suggesting books but we're due for selecting a new non-fiction.

I saw the thread, but have no serious urge to jump in. That may change in about three weeks when my semester is over, we'll see.

Also, my wife hijacked my copy of "Caste" for a more intense look at it that she is joining, so that is kind of hanging over me as some non-fiction I would like to get into. I am not even managing to keep up with the Fiction, so there's that.

The suggestions I have seen so far strike me as pretty interesting. The one that probably would pull me in best is "Think Again" though the Dawkins book looks almost as intriguing. Anyway, I will lurk around and hope for something that catches my fancy.

Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:07 pm
Profile Email

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

I'm locking this thread and creating a poll based on the non-fiction suggestions made here. I'll create a brand new thread for non-fiction suggestions for the next discussion.

Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:27 pm
Profile Email WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2