• In total there are 35 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 34 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

The Origins of QAnon (?)

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Re: The Origins of QAnon (?)

Unread post

It's funny how fruitcakes as Lindell are predicting August when the GOP has already released their plan to get Trump back in in the White House: they are banking that the 2022 midterms will go heavily republican and they will win back the House. Nancy Pelosi will then be ousted and Trump will be installed as Speaker. Then somehow, Biden and Harris will be removed from office and Trump will be president again. That can't happen by August. If Trump becomes acting president, however, and serves, say, 2 more years until the next election, could Trump run again? A president can only serve two 4-year terms, right? The answer is yes. Trump could run for president in 2024 after becoming acting president in 2022 and still serve one more 4-year term. The 22nd amendment caps the total years one person can serve as president at 10 so Trump's 2-year stint as acting president won't count against him.

A lot of pundits are saying this might actually work because the midterms will work against the democrats. What it works toward is keep QAnon interested. When Trump doesn't become president in August, they will automatically fall back to this plan B of taking the midterms and installing Trump as the Speaker. Neither plan has much chance of working. Americans are done with Trump. It's time to move on. The republicans so hopelessly enslaved to Trump that they keep looking back to 2016 is very unlikely to work. But, of course, that means nothing to QAnon.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Ay the risk of running this thread off the rails: I can not in any way imaginable agree that some how FPSfB’s will be installed as PODUS or re-elected PODUS. 81 plus million people in 2020 voted “No Way” All the current crap coming out of the media and the national capital region is little more than the remnants of a hard nights fuck. We are witnessing the hang over residue of a global debauch. Qanon, apexed on the 6th of January 2021, their silence since the end of last year demonstrates as much.
I applaud DB for the much needed information of the origins of Q but I also am pragmatic. The 2022 election cycle is going to be very important, if we are going to continue the work of eliminating the bogus problem of Q and the right wing libertarians in general. The struggle continues,the arena of ideas has been polluted so badly by the right that they are literally attacking their own. This circular firing squad is a good thing.
Covid 19 and the newest variants are dragging progress down. Covid was the downfall of FPSfB’s, Covid may well be the issue that brings these shit for brains libertarians back into a majority in the House and Senate. I have my doubts about that but one never can tell.
There is a strength that comes with ignorance, it is brut force and it could be more dangerous than what we witnessed this past January.
Q is a pansy’s version of something nefarious. They are not operating from some intimidation modality like for instance the KKK or White Natiionalist, Oath Keepers, 3 percenters, or perhaps even the Moorish Science Temple. In general Q is like an apparition that moves within these groups and among people who may be repulsed by the groups. The question then is... What do they all have in common?.
The answer is Libertarianism. That’s their common cause.
Uninhibited laissez-faire, the defunding of government in favor of self centered consumerism, in short a world of chaos, that’s what 75 million Americans voted for in 2020.
Q has some responsibility to bear for that. Their true identities must be rooted out and they must be punished.
I love cancel culture, it is the penultimate of the market place of ideas.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

I had heard of the plan DB Roy mentioned to appoint Trump as speaker of the house, but didn't realize there are follow on steps to get him to the Presidency. More detailed plans are starting to emerge. Here's a card that was circulated at CPAC last weekend.

This is quite laughable especially the fact that they think it can happen in a matter of a few days. I like this clumsy attempt to sound sophisticated, "whereby rendering all acts of said imposters, while in office, null and void, and of no effect!" :x I don't think anyone believes this junk except mentally disturbed individuals or members of the cult. Again, expect violence starting 8/14/2021.

I don't think Taylor is correct about Libertarianism. The root problem is Authoritarianism. The far right wing has been exposed as holding no principles other than loyalty to Trump. Take supporting the police for instance. Right wingers attacked police in Seattle because they were preventing them from attacking Antifa. During the Jan 6 riot the police were viciously attacked, shouted down as traitors, etc. No, the far right does not want liberty, which could allow criticism of Trump; they actually crave wielding destructive power over others.
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I like how they'll just flip the black caucus against the democrats. Really? Just like that, eh? Then they will impeach Biden and Harris for rigging the election!! Good luck with that! Then there is the tiny matter of installing Trump as Speaker because I'll guarantee that there are plenty of other republicans in Congress salivating for that role and they aren't going to just give in to Trump no matter what they might be saying now. Finally, imagine Trump as Speaker. I mean, REALLY, imagine Trump as Speaker!!
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
United States of America

Unread post

No, can't imagine that. Biden and Harris would have to govern from a hidden bunker to prevent the 3rd in line from ascending. Consider Pence feared the Secret Service during the 1/6 riot.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

This is a little off-topic, but relevant. In today's NY Times, Michelle Goldberg takes on the QAnon phenomenon (as well as authoritarian craziness in general) from the demand side, rather than the supply side. She is asking, "Who goes for this stuff?" rather than "Who produces it?" I was surprised to find, in my brief Google search for this article, that the theme has been in circulation for at least a year, and there are a number of sources who have already picked up on Goldberg's comment to build on it. One day response time is pretty quick even for a Times opinion piece.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/19/opin ... iness.html
(paywall gives exemption for a few articles per month)

The part I found most intriguing was analysis based on Hannah Arendt's "Origins of Totalitarianism" that confirms a strong correlation between individuals being disconnected from others and those individuals being susceptible to authoritarian themes and bizarre conspiracy theories. Of course it could be causation in the opposite direction (which Goldberg does not factor in). For example, a person who is a nasty piece of work in general might, as a result, be alienated from fellow humans and also be a naturally hostile authoritarian.
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I'm reading a book published in 1925 called The Man Nobody Knows by Bruce Barton. It was a recasting of Jesus. By the time the 20s hit, the U.S. and Europe had been through some wars and people were war-weary. Prior to the wars, evangelical Christians and fundamentalists (not quite the same thing), had cast Jesus as hyper-masculine. Men held the power and Jesus had to be manly. He was a warrior, a guy who came down to earth bearing a sword and ready to spill blood and kick ass. Women hold no power. They are help-meets and baby-makers who do the bidding of men. Men are the leaders and the warriors. But after these wars, people were tired of a warrior-Jesus.

So, Barton wrote this book that recast Jesus as--ta-da!--a businessman and a super deal-maker, a great teacher and a born leader! And he was masculine--make no mistake! He was he-man who didn't waste time arguing about bullshit. He had work to do and, by God, he was gonna do it! He could read people without error. No one could stand in his way. Not even Satan. He could amass great wealth and was a great builder having learned his craft in his father's carpenter shop which he ran (of course). He got things done! He was a great organizer because of his charisma and his great magnetism. With it, he cut down his enemies. They simply could not stand up to him. He was good at everything he tried. And he was no physical weakling--he had muscles like "iron" and that was how he overturned the tables and drove out the money-lenders for the temple. None dared stop him because he was powerful both physically and mentally.

This book became a favorite of the evangelicals of that time even though behind it all, they still longed for the vengeful warrior he-man. Eventually, the book was forgotten but something of it had seeped into the DNA of Christian evangelism. They saw their own pastors and reverends in the same light--powerful men who overwhelmed their enemies with awe and fearlessness. They were rich because nothing could be denied them. When they spoke, you jumped.

So, we can see that when Trump came along, he fit this view of Jesus to the evangelicals and the leaders of these flocks willingly played the part of John the Baptist: "Here comes One of whom I am not fit to tie his shoes. Behold the true leader who takes away the sins of the world!" Of course, all the sins of the world were brought by liberals, homos, atheists and democrats (aka communists). When Trump says he will drain the swamp, he spoke of our society. He has come to kick some ass.

So, when you think that they have replaced Jesus Christ with Trump, to them, Jesus Christ IS Trump and vice-versa. He is the businessman, the great builder, the supreme organizer and the unparalleled deal-maker. He has come to rid society of gays and abortion and non-whites. He has come to transform America into the New Promised Land. He speaks fearlessly and says what he means and means what he says and all of Satan's children despise him for it! He exposes and lays bare their lies and hypocrisy. He has forsaken riches to help his people--white, Christian people. The TRUE Christians. The weary old saints that have patiently waited. I used the term "weary old saints" because these people use precisely that exact term to describe themselves.

To them, Trump has come to lift this tremendous burden off their shoulders and carry it himself. So, now you know why Trump can do no wrong in their eyes. Everything he does is ordained. All the signs they look for, he has fulfilled in their eyes. Nothing you or I say makes a bit of difference to them. We are weaklings, the offspring of Satan. They cleared the path and now Christ will begin his reign.

Yes, it's utterly insane but they believe it. They live by signs and Trump is the sign. He speaks the truth that you and I can't stand to hear. That's how they see it. So understand their anger. He is Christ and is supposed to reign and somehow, we stole it from him and there will be hell to pay for it! This will not go unpunished!

Now, you could ask that if Trump is so great, how could be weakling Satanists have so easily defeated him with a non-existent pestilence? Well, thinking is obviously not their strong suit. But we must be vigilant because we haven't heard the last of this. We will pay for what we've done to their Supreme Leader. He was meant to rule and, by God, he WILL rule again!!
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Harry Marks wrote:This is a little off-topic, but relevant. In today's NY Times, Michelle Goldberg takes on the QAnon phenomenon (as well as authoritarian craziness in general) from the demand side, rather than the supply side. She is asking, "Who goes for this stuff?" rather than "Who produces it?" I was surprised to find, in my brief Google search for this article, that the theme has been in circulation for at least a year, and there are a number of sources who have already picked up on Goldberg's comment to build on it. One day response time is pretty quick even for a Times opinion piece.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/19/opin ... iness.html
(paywall gives exemption for a few articles per month)

The part I found most intriguing was analysis based on Hannah Arendt's "Origins of Totalitarianism" that confirms a strong correlation between individuals being disconnected from others and those individuals being susceptible to authoritarian themes and bizarre conspiracy theories. Of course it could be causation in the opposite direction (which Goldberg does not factor in). For example, a person who is a nasty piece of work in general might, as a result, be alienated from fellow humans and also be a naturally hostile authoritarian.
I always felt that Trump responded to demand from his base, sensing the opportunity to catch fire politically. That's even obvious when you consider him switching parties six or seven times. I can't recall him asking anything of his people that they might not have been inclined to do without influence. He could have capitalized on one of his only accomplishments--helping speed the development of the covid vaccine--by exhorting his voters to get vaccinated, but that would have meant risking disappointing them. He did say once that everyone should be vaccinated, but it was a very weak effort, unlike his summoning them to converge on the capital for a demonstration that "will be wild." That was simply encouraging the very willing.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
United States of America

Unread post

Homeland Security warns of 'increasing but modest' threat of violence from Trump conspiracy
The Department of Homeland Security said Friday they have observed "an increasing but modest level of activity online" by people who are calling for violence in response to baseless claims of 2020 election fraud and related to the conspiracy theory that former President Donald Trump will be reinstated.

"Some conspiracy theories associated with reinstating former President Trump have included calls for violence if desired outcomes are not realized," according to a DHS Office of Intelligence and Analysis bulletin obtained by ABC News.

..."We don't want to overreact, but we want to make sure that we are at the earliest stage possible providing awareness to law enforcement and other personnel who are responsible for security and are critical to mitigating risk," the senior official said, adding the bulletin was done with civil rights and civil liberties in mind.

8/6/21
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/homelan ... d=79324751
Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
United States of America

Unread post

Mike Lindell's Cyber Symposium got off to a rough start. He claims it was hacked. Elsewhere Lindell states he will remain on stage for the entire 72 hours of the event; no doubt that will not happen. I've always thought he was manic - former crack head, messiah complex, huge amounts of energy, expectations that the symposium would reach a gigantic global audience, etc.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... uxbndlbing

Reminder: Trump will be reinstated the day after this symposium on Friday August 13. :clap2: :lol:

Return to “Current Events & History”