Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:13 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Please "Check In" here to the discussion of "Books do Furnish a Life" by Richard Dawkins 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Please "Check In" here to the discussion of "Books do Furnish a Life" by Richard Dawkins
Everybody benefits by knowing who else is planning to read and discuss the book so please make a brief post here checking in and letting us know of your intention to join the discussion of "Books do Furnish a Life: An electrifying celebration of science writing" - by Richard Dawkins.

Attachments:
check in.jpg
check in.jpg [ 17.85 KiB | Viewed 861 times ]

The following user would like to thank Chris OConnor for this post:
Robert Tulip
Thu May 06, 2021 7:50 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

Post Re: Please "Check In" here to the discussion of "Books do Furnish a Life" by Richard Dawkins
Thanks very much Chris, this looks like a great selection for discussion. Dawkins is always so interesting and informative and challenging.

I have just bought it on Kindle and look forward to reading it.

Robert

The following user would like to thank Robert Tulip for this post:
Chris OConnor
Fri May 07, 2021 3:49 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Master of Posting

Silver Contributor

Post Re: Please "Check In" here to the discussion of "Books do Furnish a Life" by Richard Dawkins
Just got the kindle version!

Sat May 08, 2021 2:14 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

Initially I didn't have a good sense of what this book was all about, and didn't know if it would generate much discussion. But I really enjoyed the first chapter—an exchange with Neil deGrasse Tyson—and I'm fully onboard. Great dialogue about how to talk to believers. NDT takes a more respectful approach, RD a little less so. But both men make excellent points.

Who else is reading?

Mon May 17, 2021 11:33 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Master of Posting

Silver Contributor

I have the book, have not started reading. I wanted to finish the two I had going, which will be done by tomorrow.

Mon May 17, 2021 6:11 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Platinum Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

I'll join in on my Kindle Fire. I wonder, is using it as a reader much different from using the original Kindle e-reader?

Mon May 17, 2021 7:16 pm
Master of Posting

Silver Contributor

Read the intro and found some of Dawkins examples speaking to... A sense of spirituality within the science. And this also calls to mind recent conversations about how he (and the other 3) rejects spiritual considerations in his worldview. He doesn't. It just doesn't draw on myth or what have you. When I think of facts about nature, in its entirety, I do feel in a sense spiritual. It is much more awe inspiring that any other contrived system.

The fact that science admits it is wrong is also very inspiring and is, in my view, a means to also inspire altruism and ethics. We know we can be wrong, so we should always consider how we treat each other for this reason.

The following user would like to thank Mr. P for this post:
geo, Robert Tulip
Mon May 17, 2021 9:45 pm

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

DWill wrote:
I'll join in on my Kindle Fire. I wonder, is using it as a reader much different from using the original Kindle e-reader?

You're using the Kindle app, right? I would think it would be almost exactly like the Kindle e-reader except maybe that the Kindle Fire will be more responsive when turning pages.

The following user would like to thank geo for this post:
DWill
Tue May 18, 2021 8:48 pm

Platinum Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

I guess we don't have a thread on RD's intro. I second his contention that science-writing should be considered worthy of a Nobel Prize. Maybe with a songwriter having won an NP a few years ago, the committee will be open to choosing from the science category, too.

As Dawkins praises his favorite literary science writers, of course we're aware that he himself is one of the best.

Tue May 18, 2021 10:13 pm

Platinum Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

Having checked in, I now have to check out, with regrets. I no longer have access to the Kindle that stores my copy of the book.

Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:51 am

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

DWill wrote:
Having checked in, I now have to check out, with regrets. I no longer have access to the Kindle that stores my copy of the book.

Hey DWill, if you purchased the book, it will be available on just about any device, including your computer. Hope that helps.

DWill
Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:21 pm

Platinum Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

Thank you, geo. My analog brain didn't understand why that would digitally make sense. Now I can proceed.

The following user would like to thank DWill for this post:
geo
Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:56 am
Official Newbie!

I see that most people have posted in May. I just bought the book and will begin to read early next week. Will the discussion continue through the month of July? I hope so. I will post again once I've read a few chapters.

Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:42 pm
Profile Email

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

Gaylica wrote:
I see that most people have posted in May. I just bought the book and will begin to read early next week. Will the discussion continue through the month of July? I hope so. I will post again once I've read a few chapters.

Yes! This discussion is slated for May-July, but also the discussion can go for as long as we want. Welcome!

Gaylica
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:15 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.