• In total there are 45 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 44 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Born atheist?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Born atheist?

Unread post

Harry Marks wrote:
DWill wrote:
Harry Marks wrote: So I don't give a whole lot of credence to the civilizing effect of God. In today's world it can be argued that atomic weapons have more of a civilizing influence than religion does.
I hope you didn't expect not to be asked to expand on that provocative thought! Please do.
As you may recall, I think of God as a spirit that works among and between people. Everybody's conscience is a part or an agent of God, in that sense. I think of God as an emergent quality of social interaction between minds.

When I made the above statement (the quoted one you responded to) I had in mind the social phenomenon, the sense that there is a strict judge waiting for us after we die, which I think is what people had in mind when they said "if God didn't exist we would have to invent Him[sic]". I would make more of an argument for a civilizing effect of the Spirit of Caring.
First, thanks for this reply. You're likely to take more a comprehensive view than I usually do, which is helpful. I think I can assume now that you appreciate nuclear weapons as peacekeepers but only compared to the worse record of religion, which makes a show of humans living in peace but appears to fail to deliver. I read some of Pinker's Better Angels book, but I don't recall if he gave atomic bombs any credit for the lessening violence of civilization that he documents. Likely, he would attribute the bombs not being used for the past 75 years mostly to moral progress, not the fact that they're just too horrifying to contemplate using. Maybe the ability to appreciate the horror, having a deterrent effect, is itself a sign of moral progress. One thing we can be sure of is that Pinker, like you, doesn't give religion credit for the increase in civilization. I'm never sure that any blanket statement about religion can be true or false, though.
But honestly, despite all the arguments of Stephen Pinker, with which I sympathize, I am not convinced. I have some faith (arc of history bends toward justice, that sort of thing) but watching "Christians" work themselves into an utterly un-Christian frenzy to the point of believing piles of lies even after piles have been shown to be lies, I find myself questioning whether a self-conscious effort to be "godly" does not get captured far too easily by power and status and its attractions, leaving the hope of reform by peaceability to stand naked and exposed.
Just what bearing does their religion have on the beliefs they show to us in the public sphere? I can't figure that out. What strand of Christianity are they fingering? They seem more similar to ethnic groups that claim superiority over other groups, for no discernible reason in the view of outsiders. Atheists have never been wrong to seize on the ability of religion to divide and make "others," on the way to arguing that it needs to wither.
So I am moving more toward faith as "faithfulness", which one holds to for the sake of its rightness rather than out of expectation that it will triumph. I already know that I am easily swayed by practicalities, but I also have enough experience to know that if one consistently aims for the general good the time of trial, the moments when one is tempted to do things that one might have trouble living with afterward, is not really that likely. Because it is not so difficult to steer away from trouble while it is still at a distance.
You can avoid being presented with novel challenges, because in a sense you've prepared yourself for what might be ahead, by choosing consciously and constantly, and with regard only to rightness. Has a Kantian flavor to it, perhaps.
In much the same way, I tend to think that a longing for truth and quest for honesty is part of the Spirit of Caring, and that enlightenment really has made some difference in a civilizing direction. What most people want, most of the time, is actually fairly gentle and supportive. So when people are generally more capable they are more likely to be able to be good friends, neighbors, parents and children of aging parents. Enlightenment, by bringing more capability within reach, helps us not to get into horrible traps forcing a choice between harsh mistreatment of others and our own self-interest. It has also taught us to create more durable institutions that help to protect that ordinary goodness.

And yet. Enlightenment has brought us nuclear weapons, with an Islamic bomb looking fairly likely in the near future, and countries go on trying to carry on warfare by cyber means. Added capability has given us the capacity to extinguish most species on earth, and to wreck the climate beyond repair, but our institutions have failed utterly to cope with and respond to that awareness. So if the civilizing effect of added capacity comes at a cost of bringing self-destruction within reach of our customary folly, is it really such a good thing?
Who decides whether the added capacity has been good, on balance? I don't think anyone can decide, but people in Guatemala living in fear of gang violence will have a much darker view than I would. By the accident of being well taken-care-of, a different prospect opens to me. The badness of the world is almost all hearsay to me. I've just defined privilege.
I suppose the Trump years have soured me quite a bit, in the same way that WWI demolished the self-confidence of belief in Progress. My gut feeling is still optimistic, but it is much less optimistic than it was 6 or 7 years ago.
Speaking of WW 1, on my list in The Great War and Modern Memory, by Paul Fussell. The book may say a lot about loss of faith in progress. But I suppose it could be argued that we got over that loss of faith--or did we? Sometimes I wonder whether we magnify the importance of changes we think we see in our own brief span of life. When I think of some distant period of history, say 1480-85, I think that nothing of lasting importance could have happened; it was only 5 years, a blink in time. Yet in my own time I'm ready to say that paradigms can be shifting all over the place, revolutions in thought occurring, when maybe I'm just viewing the up-and-down wave motion of history.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

And the first post is why I have an issue using the term atheist. Areality should be the proper term for what happens to folks as they stumble, unprepared and incapable, into understanding.

We are born not believing in any God or religion. That is, it is true, not atheism. It is the natural state.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

DWill wrote:
Harry Marks wrote: I had in mind the social phenomenon, the sense that there is a strict judge waiting for us after we die, which I think is what people had in mind when they said "if God didn't exist we would have to invent Him[sic]". I would make more of an argument for a civilizing effect of the Spirit of Caring.
First, thanks for this reply.
Sorry I went so long unaware of your response. I must have gotten caught up in work about the time you posted this.
DWill wrote: I think I can assume now that you appreciate nuclear weapons as peacekeepers but only compared to the worse record of religion, which makes a show of humans living in peace but appears to fail to deliver. I read some of Pinker's Better Angels book, but I don't recall if he gave atomic bombs any credit for the lessening violence of civilization that he documents.
These kinds of "big think" questions are endlessly fascinating, at least to me, but I recognize that they are largely impervious to solution. In that sense I think they have a strong kinship with religious issues, and indeed economists often refer to "theology" when it comes to big, vague issues like the balance between equilibrium forces and momentum forces in the macroeconomy. A person's answer to many of these questions seems to come down to personality as much as any pattern in the evidence. The good news is that strong shifts in the evidence, such as the experience of Great Recession following 2009, actually move a lot of economists from one side to another.

In such cases people seem to project their sense of "how life works" onto the configuration of evidence. Confirmation bias has a lot to say about what we attend to and what evidence we emphasize. So when the evidence is mixed, and the question is too relevant to simply walk away from (for a significant fraction of the population) then mythological forces and ideological forces and tribal forces can bring out competing narratives that take on a shaping ability of their own. Add in the madness of biased media and conflict-promoting social media algorithms that we have today and the result is a pretty dramatic example of competing worldviews.
DWill wrote:Likely, he would attribute the bombs not being used for the past 75 years mostly to moral progress, not the fact that they're just too horrifying to contemplate using. Maybe the ability to appreciate the horror, having a deterrent effect, is itself a sign of moral progress. One thing we can be sure of is that Pinker, like you, doesn't give religion credit for the increase in civilization.
I am reading a few sources, including a blog and a philosopher, who take the other view, arguing that despite all the horrors of religious empire, the very structure of thought in Europe and the West ("Christendom") gave rise to a culture that questioned itself, providing humanism with a basis in moral meaning. It isn't clear to me that this "thought bias" was stronger in the West than in, say, Buddhist countries. A person I respect (a Unitarian minister, actually) argues that each religion is a language, and that it is worth getting to know some other religions so that one begins to have a feel for what all the languages are, collectively, talking about.

And, again, these vague questions can be fascinating but unresolvable. Maybe fascinating because they are unresolvable. On the question of the bomb, I do think that there was a reinforcing process in which the sobriety that came with WWI led to a certain moral progress which perhaps made it possible for the Allies to exercise restraint, so that they avoided using atomic weapons against Stalin or for the pursuit of empire. But the horror of Mutual Assured Destruction played a role relatively early on. And so the two aspects, moral sobriety and mutual fear, were probably both at play but some people will want to give priority to one or the other.
DWill wrote:I'm never sure that any blanket statement about religion can be true or false, though.
Perhaps not. Religion is what it is, and it combines so many different social forces that disentangling them is probably hopeless. Those of us operating within religion hope to burn away the bad parts and foster more of the good parts, but who is to say whether that has any prospect of success. And I need to remember that critics on the outside may sometimes have a clearer view than what we insiders have.
DWill wrote:Just what bearing does their religion have on the beliefs they show to us in the public sphere? I can't figure that out. What strand of Christianity are they fingering? They seem more similar to ethnic groups that claim superiority over other groups, for no discernible reason in the view of outsiders. Atheists have never been wrong to seize on the ability of religion to divide and make "others," on the way to arguing that it needs to wither.
I regularly make an effort to construct a version of the other side in my own head. While this may be hopeless, and a clunky left-brain folly at that, I feel drawn to make the effort. Currently it seems to me that there are several intertwined strands that need to be recognized.

One is the need for authority. "Liberals" tend to discount this but it is very real. Most people of any persuasion want their version of what is right to be true, to be the correct version. And I think the less one is willing to be open to extravagantly hypothetical alternatives, the more one will seek authority to justify the perspective one lives by. Haidt was good on this subject, though he could have expressed matters in much greater depth. It seems to be part of the process that the family dynamic involves affirming the "strict" version of parental correctness even when people explicitly reject the particulars of their parents' worldview. This is an odd thing, to me, so I am going to try to present it slightly differently. Even though they know that their own parents were often wrong, the need to have parental authority established seems to demand that parental correctness be affirmed. To paraphrase the old toast about country, they seem to feel "my parents, right or wrong, may they always be considered right."

This seems to have combined itself with a proto-fascist need for solidarity. I can never quite get why publication of the Pentagon Papers, or criticism of the country, make some conservatives apoplectic, but I try. I can see why they want to have values of patriotism and solidarity reinforced, but I am not connected to the fear that makes it such a threat. It has something to do with the old fascist symbol, the bundle of sticks that is so much stronger than the individual stick. And this seems to be the reason why it is so important to today's Republicans to choose a leader who fights against liberal ideology. A person who is strong is one who will fight, because if you don't fight you just lose. But it is just as necessary that the rest of society, or of "our kind of people", fight alongside the leader. Evidently deep in their family dynamics or their epigenetics, or something, there is a sense that anyone who breaks ranks to criticize is a direct threat to each member of society.

A third force involved is the conservative religious culture that requires rules and respectability. I can feel aghast at the loss of structure in the raising of children, in which nothing is done when kids come home and spew swearwords, for example. There is a lot in me that resonates to this - I am a pretty straight arrow, never having been tempted by drugs or any counterculture of rebellion. But again, I am left at a loss as to why this does not generalize to empathy for the plight of racial minorities (and to be fair it often does) or to affirmation of ambition in women (again, it often does). In fact the evangelical culture combines symbolic empathy for unborn children with a sense that sexual propriety would make abortion unnecessary in a way that progressives ignore at their peril.

Holding these firmly in mind I am able to make sense of the implicit racism that holds onto structural racism in almost the same way that monetary success holds onto the money. This is not about oppressing others, it is about seeing no sense in taking away from those who have worked hard and taken risks for the sake of groups in society who have no allegiance to the rules of propriety. While I can see that this ends up reinforcing the oppression that holds down minority groups, I can also see that White Supremacy is not often the goal or motivating force involved. There is a tremendous amount of what we might call common sense in the tribal opposition to giving favorable compensatory treatment to minorities. And of course the refusal to see this on the part of liberal leadership is eminently exploitable by the right-wing media.
DWill wrote:Who decides whether the added capacity has been good, on balance? I don't think anyone can decide, but people in Guatemala living in fear of gang violence will have a much darker view than I would. By the accident of being well taken-care-of, a different prospect opens to me. The badness of the world is almost all hearsay to me. I've just defined privilege.
Well said. And a good point of perspective to be able to recognize that many of the side benefits of "enlightenment" have been due very much to the interactions between different aspects of self-interest. If we try to impose a narrative in which progress has been due inevitably to moral progress, we risk blinding ourselves to forces which are quite capable of turning in a direction that is morally abhorrent.
DWill wrote: Sometimes I wonder whether we magnify the importance of changes we think we see in our own brief span of life. When I think of some distant period of history, say 1480-85, I think that nothing of lasting importance could have happened; it was only 5 years, a blink in time. Yet in my own time I'm ready to say that paradigms can be shifting all over the place, revolutions in thought occurring, when maybe I'm just viewing the up-and-down wave motion of history.
That's good perspective, but I think we have to take trends in thought seriously. QAnon may be just a fluctuation, or it may be a source of "thought bias" that will take long decades to undo. Even so I am a strong believer in grace, which in this case means the ability to regard people benevolently even when we think they may be injecting powerful poison into the social system. My sense of what treatment they deserve has to be tempered by awareness that I do stuff they may see as poisonous, and that if I approach them judgmentally I may be injecting a poison of my own.
Murmur
Internet Sage

Unread post

DB Roy wrote: Do you think that humans are born as atheists?
It depends entirely on how you define the word "atheist".
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

As Murmur said it depends on how you define the word "atheist."

Everything hinges on a solid understanding of these terms:

Implicit Atheism and Explicit Atheism
Implicit atheism and explicit atheism are types of atheism. Implicit atheism is defined as the absence of theistic belief without a conscious rejection of it, while explicit atheism is the absence of theistic belief due to a conscious rejection of it. Explicit atheists have considered the idea of deities and have rejected belief that any exist. Implicit atheists, though they do not themselves maintain a belief in a god or gods, have not rejected the notion or have not considered it further.

Newborn babies are implicit atheists just like they are implicit aRepublicans, aDemocrats, and aRacists. A baby cannot believe in a God, believe in Democratic values or Republican values, or be a racist. Calling a newborn baby an implied atheist isn't an attempt by atheists to build their ranks. It's just a way of driving home the point that belief in a God is learned. Before you learned about God you lacked the belief in a God. The very nature of a baby implies they cannot hold beliefs about religion, politics, etc...
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:As Murmur said it depends on how you define the word "atheist."

Newborn babies are implicit atheists just like they are implicit aRepublicans, aDemocrats, and aRacists. A baby cannot believe in a God, believe in Democratic values or Republican values, or be a racist. Calling a newborn baby an implied atheist isn't an attempt by atheists to build their ranks. It's just a way of driving home the point that belief in a God is learned. Before you learned about God you lacked the belief in a God. The very nature of a baby implies they cannot hold beliefs about religion, politics, etc...
This type of reasoning is problematic from the word go. Atheism is a concept just as theism is a concept. Being ignorant of that concept doesn't place you automatically in opposition to it. That's creating a false dichotomy. Being ignorant of the concept of theism is simply that: ignorance of the concept of theism. Nothing can be said of that person's belief in that concept because he or she has not yet been introduced to it. There is no way to get around the fact that atheism and theism are choices that have to be made. Until they are made, nothing can be said of that person's state of belief in those concepts.

We should also be careful about putting racism in the same set with being a republican or a democrat. The latter two are intellectual stances, racism is an emotional reaction. If I am 3 years old and I see a black person for the first time in my life and my thought is: "That person is repulsive to me. Anyone who looks like that is repulsive!" Clearly, that is not an intellectual stance. I don't care why I feel that way, I only know that that is how I feel. So to lump in racial feelings with political leanings is a false equivalency.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

DB Roy wrote:Atheism is a concept just as theism is a concept. Being ignorant of that concept doesn't place you automatically in opposition to it.
An implied atheist is not opposed to theism. They are an atheist and don't even know it. This really is a matter of semantics. The term implied atheist was created for a very narrow subset of atheists but this subset exists and deserves to be labeled just so that we can have a proper conversation.

Would you agree that a newborn baby is not a Democrat or Republican yet? We don't have terms for people that have never been exposed to politics and therefore are not politically affiliated. Why not? Because Democrats and Republicans don't play games and try to call newborn babies Democrats or Republicans. Religious people do this all the time. A child born into a Hindu family or Muslim family is a new Hindu or Muslim. They haven't yet been exposed to the religions of Hinduism or Islam so they are actually implied atheists up until the point they have been exposed and have made a decision as to what they wish to believe in.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:This really is a matter of semantics. The term implied atheist was created for a very narrow subset of atheists but this subset exists and deserves to be labeled just so that we can have a proper conversation.
We seem to have an innate sense of a higher intelligence that we usually call "God." But as Chris says, we struggle with what "atheist" means because the word "God" is so nebulous. You would have to come up with a specific definition of "God" before we can really know what "atheist" means. Though typically an atheist refers to the "God" described in the Bible or the Torah or the Koran.

I'm reading a book about the Middle East that goes into a lot of detail about Islam. There's one passage in particular that struck me as absurd. Apparently Muslims believe an angel came to Ishmael, while Jews believe the angel came to Isaac instead. This is only one of many thousands of discrepancies in the holy texts that make up the Koran and the Bible. So no one disputes that an angel came to earth and talked to a person (prophet). The dispute focuses on which prophet the angel talked to.

Also, did you know that Muhammad declared himself to be the very last prophet of Islam. And so Muslims believe to this day that Muhammad was the last prophet. There can be no more prophets until Judgment Day, which was supposed to happen a couple of thousand years ago. Meanwhile Christians are still waiting for the Second Coming of Christ (which also was supposed to happen a couple thousand years ago). And so it goes.

And that's why a person's religion is mostly culture-dependent. If you're born in the Middle East, you are very likely going to be a Muslim or Jew. If you're born in Europe or the United States, you're going to be a Christian. Except for those who don't have a very strong innate "God" sense and are more impervious to religious indoctrination.

So are we born atheist? It's a complicated question. But just as we are not born Republican or Democrat, per se, we are probably born with a certain inclinations towards being liberal or conservative. Unfortunately our society is fairly binary and once we start a path, one way or the other, we become more entrenched in political ideology.
-Geo
Question everything
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Geo wrote:So are we born atheist? It's a complicated question. But just as we are not born Republican or Democrat, per se, we are probably born with a certain inclinations towards being liberal or conservative. Unfortunately our society is fairly binary and once we start a path, one way or the other, we become more entrenched in political ideology.
Most of us seem to gravitate towards binary thinking. It's good or bad, black or white, right or wrong, etc... Life is often more nuanced and requires deep consideration. Our binary bias probably had a survival benefit long ago in our evolutionary past, but today it seems to be more of a hindrance to critical thinking.

You're probably right that we all pop out of the birth canal leaning to the left or right. Someone needs to run a study on this!
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote: You're probably right that we all pop out of the birth canal leaning to the left or right. Someone needs to run a study on this!
Jonathan Haidt discusses this in his book, The Righteous Mind. Also check out this TedTalk video. Pay particular attention to the segment starting at 4:49.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs41JrnGaxc

Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of Haidt's work.
-Geo
Question everything

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”