• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Please "Check In" here to the discussion of "Books do Furnish a Life" by Richard Dawkins

#176: May - July 2021 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Please "Check In" here to the discussion of "Books do Furnish a Life" by Richard Dawkins

Unread post

Everybody benefits by knowing who else is planning to read and discuss the book so please make a brief post here checking in and letting us know of your intention to join the discussion of "Books do Furnish a Life: An electrifying celebration of science writing" - by Richard Dawkins.
Attachments
check in.jpg
check in.jpg (17.85 KiB) Viewed 3188 times
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Re: Please "Check In" here to the discussion of "Books do Furnish a Life" by Richard Dawkins

Unread post

Thanks very much Chris, this looks like a great selection for discussion. Dawkins is always so interesting and informative and challenging.

I have just bought it on Kindle and look forward to reading it.

Robert
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Please "Check In" here to the discussion of "Books do Furnish a Life" by Richard Dawkins

Unread post

Just got the kindle version!
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Initially I didn't have a good sense of what this book was all about, and didn't know if it would generate much discussion. But I really enjoyed the first chapter—an exchange with Neil deGrasse Tyson—and I'm fully onboard. Great dialogue about how to talk to believers. NDT takes a more respectful approach, RD a little less so. But both men make excellent points.

Who else is reading?
-Geo
Question everything
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I have the book, have not started reading. I wanted to finish the two I had going, which will be done by tomorrow.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I'll join in on my Kindle Fire. I wonder, is using it as a reader much different from using the original Kindle e-reader?
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Read the intro and found some of Dawkins examples speaking to... A sense of spirituality within the science. And this also calls to mind recent conversations about how he (and the other 3) rejects spiritual considerations in his worldview. He doesn't. It just doesn't draw on myth or what have you. When I think of facts about nature, in its entirety, I do feel in a sense spiritual. It is much more awe inspiring that any other contrived system.

The fact that science admits it is wrong is also very inspiring and is, in my view, a means to also inspire altruism and ethics. We know we can be wrong, so we should always consider how we treat each other for this reason.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote:I'll join in on my Kindle Fire. I wonder, is using it as a reader much different from using the original Kindle e-reader?
You're using the Kindle app, right? I would think it would be almost exactly like the Kindle e-reader except maybe that the Kindle Fire will be more responsive when turning pages.
-Geo
Question everything
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I guess we don't have a thread on RD's intro. I second his contention that science-writing should be considered worthy of a Nobel Prize. Maybe with a songwriter having won an NP a few years ago, the committee will be open to choosing from the science category, too.

As Dawkins praises his favorite literary science writers, of course we're aware that he himself is one of the best.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Having checked in, I now have to check out, with regrets. I no longer have access to the Kindle that stores my copy of the book.

Return to “Books do Furnish a Life - by Richard Dawkins”