• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Book One: Easy Rider - Chapter 1, 2 & 3

#175: April - June 2021 (Fiction)
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Book One: Easy Rider - Chapter 1, 2 & 3

Unread post

Awful what Rufus goes through, and his suicide left me sad. I realize he treated Leona horribly, but still I have to feel for anyone who's in that much pain. A psychiatrist might have diagnosed him with major depression with psychotic features. He needed help desperately, but didn't think he was good enough to ask for it. So far, it's interesting that Rufus is the only well-rounded black character in the book, with his friends being white. Baldwin explores the other characters' psychology with depth and sensitivity. I admire his writing.

I had expected to be seeing Rufus throughout the book, and for some reason anticipated him climbing out of his black hole. Now I'm curious to see where Baldwin takes the story. Will he bring in a new major protagonist?
Brooks127
Senior
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote:I had expected to be seeing Rufus throughout the book,
I too expected this. It makes me think Baldwin really planned this story out and did it on purpose to affect the reader.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

I was on the fence about Rufus. Alot of time was spent on his discontent, his apathy, and his loneliness. I was rooting for him but his suicide did not shock me.

However I too am now wondering where the story will go. It seems from where I am in the book now, Vivaldo and Ida are going to entertain some kind of relationship. Seems to me Rufus would not approve and that this plays as another betrayal if he were around to take it as such.

Right now, this is one of my favorite passages...speaks volumes about the world Rufus just left. This was said by the Pastor that presided over Rufus' wake.
I know a lot of people done took their own lives and they’re walking up and down the streets today and some of them is preaching the gospel and some is sitting in the seats of the mighty. Now, you remember that. If the world wasn’t so full of dead folks maybe those of us that’s trying to live wouldn’t have to suffer so bad.”
Last edited by Mr. P on Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Anyone else notice how much Baldwin uses the word 'violent' or a variation of the word to describe some pretty non-violent things...or at least uses it in a odd way?

Just a few examples:
Book 1, Chapter 1

Twice he had been awakened by the violent accents of the Italian film,

And she carried him, as the sea will carry a boat: with a slow, rocking and rising and falling motion, barely suggestive of the violence of the deep.

Then Leona looked across the table and smiled at him. His heart and his bowels shook; he remembered their violence and their tenderness together

But with his hands on Eric’s shoulders, affection, power, and curiosity all knotted together in him—with a hidden, unforeseen violence which frightened him a little; the hands that were meant to hold Eric at arm’s length seemed to draw Eric to him; the current that had begun flowing he did not know how to stop.

and he wondered where such a violent emptiness might drive an entire city.

He had never associated Rufus with violence, for his walk was always deliberate and slow, his tone mocking and gentle

Book 1, Chapter 2

liked the sound of their talk, soft and laughing, or else violently, clearly, brilliantly hostile; she liked the life in their eyes and the way they treated their children,

They were surrounded by a violence of cars, great trucks, green buses lumbering across town, and boys, dark boys, pushing wooden wagons full of clothes. The people on the sidewalks overflowed into the streets.

A Negro girl came toward her, a girl with red, loosely waved hair, who wore a violently green dress and whose skin was a kind of dusty copper.

Vivaldo hailed a cab and they got in—as, she could not help feeling they had been expected to do—and they began to roll away from the dark, the violent scene, over which, now, a pale sun fell.
The Chapter 2 quotes are all within the passages of Rufus' wake.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

“What a funny girl you are,” he said. “You’ve got a bad case of penis envy.” “So do most men,”
Haaaaaahaaaaaaaaaa!!!!
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Good eye, Mr. P. So I'm wondering about a couple of things--where in Book 1 will I understand the meaning of "Easy Rider," and what's the deal with the attitude toward women? Too soon to say, but could Baldwin's 1960 take on women be the element of the book that will seem dated and maybe regressive? John and Yoko said it: "Woman is the nigger of the world."
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Interesting thought. Maybe it was just his observations. But I am not getting an anti women vibe here. Perhaps Baldwin is using the treatment of women in the book as a character flaw of the MEN of the time, along with racism and the overall apathy/malaise of society... The sheepy (violent) consumerism and lack of any real quality.

The relationship between Cass and... Richard (I am not with my book to look up)... seems to be a respectful one if not a true loving one.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

It's right to be cautious about whether Baldwin is personally reflecting animus against women or whether he may simply be reflecting an attitude that existed. Well, neither is established at this point, so it was premature for me to bring it up. It's remarks such as Vivaldo saying a woman was a "cock-teaser," bringing no dissent from Cass, that puts me just a bit on alert.

Return to “Another Country - by James Baldwin”