Book One: Easy Rider - Chapter 1, 2 & 3

#175: April - June 2021 (Fiction)
DWill
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Good eye, Mr. P. So I'm wondering about a couple of things--where in Book 1 will I understand the meaning of "Easy Rider," and what's the deal with the attitude toward women? Too soon to say, but could Baldwin's 1960 take on women be the element of the book that will seem dated and maybe regressive? John and Yoko said it: "Woman is the nigger of the world."
Mr. P
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Interesting thought. Maybe it was just his observations. But I am not getting an anti women vibe here. Perhaps Baldwin is using the treatment of women in the book as a character flaw of the MEN of the time, along with racism and the overall apathy/malaise of society... The sheepy (violent) consumerism and lack of any real quality.

The relationship between Cass and... Richard (I am not with my book to look up)... seems to be a respectful one if not a true loving one.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
DWill
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

It's right to be cautious about whether Baldwin is personally reflecting animus against women or whether he may simply be reflecting an attitude that existed. Well, neither is established at this point, so it was premature for me to bring it up. It's remarks such as Vivaldo saying a woman was a "cock-teaser," bringing no dissent from Cass, that puts me just a bit on alert.