• In total there are 26 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 25 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Request for Dog Training Book Recommendations

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
scrumfish
Sophomore
United States of America

Request for Dog Training Book Recommendations

Unread post

I've taken enough psych classes and babysat and had younger siblings so I understand the basics of how to train living things. I need information about how to take it to the next level. "No" and "Sit" are easy, but the concept of "Stay" is evading my puppy. I would also like Fred to learn how to heel. It doesn't help that since June we have been camping or at my family's farm so she has been able to run around a bit wild. There are no leash laws on a farm. :P

I understand that training takes daily practice. I also understand that I have zero experience at this so if I am going to take the time to do it I would like some sensible guidelines to follow. Fred and I would have taken a local puppy and owner class if they had not all been canceled because of the stupid Covid stuff. (The use of the word "stupid" there is a manifestation of my frustration about idiots not wearing masks, not a lack of taking this seriously.)

So, any of you dog people have a great recommendation for a book about how to train a dog?

Oh, and if anyone feels the need to criticize me for getting a puppy during this time, let me assure you....this was not my idea. I love my man, and he has always had a dog or dogs his entire life until we cohabitated so when he got laid off I signed off on him getting a dog. Because...mental health. I have come to realize that his mother was the one who trained all of the dogs he had before. He's not bad, one of his former jobs was coaching...but...I am not a dog person and I hate the dog being under the table when I'm eating, jumping on strangers, not coming immediately when called....

Yeah, I'm not a dog person, but I do not wish to resort to the shock collar. That just seems....not nice.

So, books or anecdotes to help me deal with my super awesome Fred! For inspiration, I give you the sleeping tongue out Fearless Fred the Wonder Dog:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/a93dVgGCzXUbRJ4p8

And Fred taking a break from chasing frogs at the lake we camp at:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LKeoFHetsaXUhBqJA
scrumfish
Sophomore
United States of America

Re: Request for Dog Training Book Recommendations

Unread post

Really? Nobody else has a dog or an opinion about dogs?
stephthebibliophile
Official Newbie!

Re: Request for Dog Training Book Recommendations

Unread post

Sorry that this is coming rather late BUT, I am a new member. Anyway. Hi! I worked with dogs for 12 years. I learned A LOT about dog behavior and how to train dogs properly and get them to listen AND adore you through reading Cesar Millan's books and watching how he trained the dogs in his shows VERY CAREFULLY. The Dog Bible had a lot of great useful tips. I just stocked up on as many pet behavior and training books as I could find and read them voraciously. By the time I was 19 I was running two dog salons, boarding facilities and daycares. It was a very rewarding job and when you learn about dog BEHAVIOR first and foremost, you will realize that you get a lot more out of your relationship with the dog. Both training wise and as a companion. I hope this helped and didn't come too too late.

Return to “Everything Else”