• In total there are 29 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 28 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Favorite music magazine?

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Brooks127
Senior
United States of America

Favorite music magazine?

Unread post

My favorite music magazine was Hit Parader. In the 1980s, it was my go to source for all things heavy metal. Each edition had posters and in the back offers to purchase music by mail.

I remember sending off for a compilation cassette put out by Hit Parader. It was made of yellow plastic and had a bunch of bands I'd never heard of. I wore that cassette out!

As I progressed in music, I started reading magazines on drumming. Modern Drummer was my favorite technical magazine for drums.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Favorite music magazine?

Unread post

Being mostly a guitar and bass player, I read those focused mags.

As a fan, I would pick up whatever... Kerrang, Metal Forces. I spent alot of time in the NY Hardcore scene, so the many fanzines that were produced were always around.

You drum?
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Brooks127
Senior
United States of America

Unread post

Mr. Pessimistic wrote:You drum?
Not as much as I did in the past. I started out in the 1980s with a CB 700 kit. By the late 1980s, I had a set of Ludwig Rockers with a double bass pedal. My dad had a country western band. I'd use his P.A. system to pretend I was in concerts drumming for Mötley Crüe and Britny Fox.

I ended up drumming in some thrash bands before singing. It's funny. A lot of my friends in the punk scene where I live poked fun at me for liking glam and metal, yet years later one of the best punk drummers in our area told me he wanted to learn to play drums by seeing me play. That felt really good.

The current set I own is a Pearl double bass kit that came out of a defunct studio created in the 1990s by a friend and bandmate who was heavy into thrash and industrial. He recorded a lot of the punk bands in our area. As teens we converted an old warehouse into a place for bands to play. Years later, he got signed to a deal, and opened a really nice venue in our area bringing in bands from across the country.
Brooks127
Senior
United States of America

Unread post

LanDroid wrote:https://downbeat.com/ <= For real.
Thanks, LanDroid. I appreciate the link. I love jazz. Wish I had a place nearby to listen to it. It's one of the things I miss about city life. I saw some articles I'm going to check out.
Brooks127
Senior
United States of America

Unread post

Mr. Pessimistic wrote:Metal Forces
Good mag.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I miss playing. I was active from 2007-2013 after a hiatus from the 80s...then been inactive again since. Had a decent bad then, like a classic rock vibe, originals. Was playing regular gigs and started getting some pay as well. Then it fizzled once the younger guys started getting married/having kids. Me and the drummer were already getting past all that. Bad timing. Lol.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I love pretty much all music and musical expression. I like jazz as well. Not much traditional, but like Bela Fleck/Vic Wooten, Charlie Hunter, and some others I can't name.
Brooks127
Senior
United States of America

Unread post

Mr. P wrote:I miss playing. I was active from 2007-2013 after a hiatus from the 80s...then been inactive again since. Had a decent bad then, like a classic rock vibe, originals. Was playing regular gigs and started getting some pay as well. Then it fizzled once the younger guys started getting married/having kids. Me and the drummer were already getting past all that. Bad timing. Lol.
I got asked before the pandemic to play some shows at a winery near my house. My friend played with Charlie Daniels and asked me if I wanted to do some old school music for tourists. He wanted to get some Nashville guys to play with us. I'm sure we'd had a good time, yet my heart wasn't in it. I've seen a lot of my friends in the local punk and metal scene go the psychobilly bluegrass style to make money. My hearts too much into metal to do it.

The last serious offer I got to play was ten years ago. A friend plays stoner rock. He's performed with The Sword and is friends with bands like Fu Manchu. He asked me to do some shows as a temporary drummer. I'd done it in a heartbeat, but at the time my job was demanding a lot of time from me. I simply couldn't hit the road for the high desert.
ceebucuc
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Thanks for sharing your favorite music magazine! It's always cool to hear about people's go-to sources for music. I'm not too familiar with Hit Parader, but it sounds like it was a real gem for heavy metal fans back in the day. And that yellow cassette compilation? Sounds like a total banger!
As for me, I've been more into literary magazines lately. Have you checked out any literary magazines for new writers? There are some great ones out there like The Paris Review and The New Yorker, but there are also tons of smaller, indie mags that are worth exploring. If you're a writer, it can be a great way to get your work out there and connect with other writers.

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”