• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Five Wives by Joan Thomas

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Reader30
Official Newbie!

Five Wives by Joan Thomas

Unread post

I’m currently reading the book Five Wives by Joan Thomas, and I have a few questions to ask:

1. What are your thoughts on the love scenes between Nate and Marj Saint (p. 145-146) and Jim and Betty Elliot (p. 283-284)? Do you think they served a purpose in molding some of the characters (ex. Rachel Saint) and their underlying emotions?

2. What does “Every night she [Betty] lies down in the sheets where they [she and Jim] partook of a feast of delights“ (p. 284) mean? What is the action that is taking place in this statement?

3. In the following passage:

“They’re at it, Nate and his bride, Nate and the curly-haired Cyclops, they’re riding the bedsprings, panting with one voice, panting, grunting, moaning (hard work, the making of a saint!), huh, huh, huh, huh, huh. She [Rachel] stands still, skewered by the noise. If she had a willie, she’d lift it and piss on the floor. Just here, against their closed door. The boys did that sometimes outside her bedroom. One winter the whole house stank of piss.
They yelp like foxes and fall silent. A quick business when you think about it. She waits a beat. “I hope to God it was worth it,” she calls into the crack of the door. A startled gasp, an angry shout, and she turns and strides down the hall and into the bathroom” (p. 145-146).

What are the actions that are taking place in this passage?

Last bumped by Reader30 on Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:09 pm.

Return to “What are you currently reading?”