• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Dracula by Bram Stoker

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.

Have any of you read Dracula?

Yes

82%
No

18%

Total votes: 11
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: Dracula by Bram Stoker

Unread post

Dracula is available for free online at

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/345/345-h/345-h.htm
Murmur
Internet Sage

Unread post

Anna wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:45 pm I just started reading Dracula and while I thought that it might have archaic language, it actually turned out to be a really understandable and enjoyable book. And there are definitely some spooks here and there. Amazing Book so far!!
I read Dracula a few years ago. I read Carmilla sometime afterward. It's obvious that Stoker took some of the ideas in Carmilla and used them for Dracula.

Dracula, and Bram Stoker in general, are very overrated. Dracula is Stoker's best work, and it's fine as a horror novel, but it's nowhere near as good as popular culture would seem to indicate.
Murmur
Internet Sage

Unread post

I've read Dracula. Dracula is a perfectly fine novel, but not great.

Overall, Bram Stoker is spectacularly overrated. He just wasn't a great author, in my opinion. Dracula, his magnum opus, is his best work that I've read and it's not bad. It's fun to read. A bunch of his short stories that he wrote just outright suck.
lexirexic
Almost Comfortable
United States of America

Unread post

I'm also lukewarm on the book. I was expecting something with more elegant Victorian language like other mid-to-late-19th century works: Maupassant, Poe or even Dickens. Bram Stoker's writing is much more basic.

Like others have pointed out, the vampire story was presented earlier in Carmilla, or even The Vampyre by Polidori (1819) so Dracula can't really earn points on being the first. I think Dracula's fame is largely due to the classic films that immortalized it. The movie Nosferatu is a pillar of cinema, and of course the film Dracula and the Hammer sequels guaranteed the story's immortality in modern lore.
Murmur
Internet Sage

Unread post

Wow. I wrote two replies months apart, saying the same thing. Obviously, I should have looked at the second page in this thread before posting. Embarrassing.
lexirexic
Almost Comfortable
United States of America

Unread post

Murmur wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:41 pm Wow. I wrote two replies months apart, saying the same thing. Obviously, I should have looked at the second page in this thread before posting. Embarrassing.
lmao You shouldn’t have said anything. I didn’t notice and thought they were from 2 different people.

Return to “What are you currently reading?”