• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

On my nightstand...

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

On my nightstand...

Unread post

46 Pages (Thomas Paine) by Scott Liell
How to be a Stoic - Pigliucci
The Federalist Papers
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
adenham
Getting Comfortable

Re: On my nightstand...

Unread post

I've been trying to read more books by indie authors lately to help out and review. I recently read "A Broken Kind of Love" by Colleen Young. I've even gone out of my usual and read a couple of horror short story collections. I've found I'm not a huge horror fan still, but it's nice to break out every once and a while!
Brooks127
Senior
United States of America

Unread post

I have so many books, I dedicated a page to them. lol : https://archive.org/details/BAMFTPB

If you visit the page, you'll hear audio files of me talking about them. I'm planning to add more.
Brooks127
Senior
United States of America

Unread post

Mr. Pessimistic wrote:46 Pages (Thomas Paine) by Scott Liell
Thanks, I'll check it out. Paine's always fascinated me. If I'm not mistaken, he owed people money and started his life over in the colonies. Reminds me in some odd way of the French mathematician Descartes. He traveled so much to escape the wrath of those wanting to ban his writing, rumors existed after his death his ghost roamed the countryside.
Brooks127
Senior
United States of America

Unread post

adenham wrote:I've even gone out of my usual and read a couple of horror short story collections.
Though not the same as reading, Lights Out is an old-time radio show: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lights_Out_(radio_show) Despite it's age, it's actually pretty scary.
adenham
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Brooks127 wrote:
adenham wrote:I've even gone out of my usual and read a couple of horror short story collections.
Though not the same as reading, Lights Out is an old-time radio show: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lights_Out_(radio_show) Despite it's age, it's actually pretty scary.

Interesting! I love that, I'll have to look it up. I'm usually a fan of anything spooky.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Oliver Twist. I always feel a twinge of, I guess, guilt over the famous books I've skipped (comes from being an English major--twice). So I decided to read the Dickens books I never got around to. All I knew about OT was that a musical (a genre I generally don't like) was made from it and it concerned various rapscallions in the slums of London. In reality it's an affecting moral tale, like anything Dickens wrote. But here's the challenge of reading this book in 2021: the portrayal of the Jew, Fagin, demonstrates not just prejudice towards Jews but real hatred. This is a spoiler of a different sort. What do other readers do when you run into something repulsive in a writer you like? In this case, of course, the writer is beloved and acclaimed for his good-heartedness. At least in this instance, Dickens was only too willing to exploit race hatred in order to create an uber- villain.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Way cool!! I just have a legal pad and a pen. Haha
Brooks127 wrote:I have so many books, I dedicated a page to them. lol : https://archive.org/details/BAMFTPB

If you visit the page, you'll hear audio files of me talking about them. I'm planning to add more.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.

Return to “What are you currently reading?”