• In total there are 9 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Why Sue wanted to go back to Phillotson?

This forum is dedicated to discussing your preferred FICTION authors, books, and genres.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Knight
Master Debater

Why Sue wanted to go back to Phillotson?

Unread post

In the novel Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy, Sue was broken after the death of her children. She went to their graves and wept even on the insistence of Jude to go back to lodge. Jude was broken too but he understood that he had to care for Sue.

However, even after these events Jude thought of living with Sue for whole life with the sorrow of their dead children but Sue had some other religious and moral principles in her mind. She decided to leave Jude [to die] and to have a full marital relation with Phillotson.

My question is what were her thoughts behind leaving Jude and living with Phillotson again? Did she think that that way will provide her some consolation?
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Why Sue wanted to go back to Phillotson?

Unread post

Knight wrote:In the novel Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy, Sue was broken after the death of her children. She went to their graves and wept even on the insistence of Jude to go back to lodge. Jude was broken too but he understood that he had to care for Sue.

However, even after these events Jude thought of living with Sue for whole life with the sorrow of their dead children but Sue had some other religious and moral principles in her mind. She decided to leave Jude [to die] and to have a full marital relation with Phillotson.

My question is what were her thoughts behind leaving Jude and living with Phillotson again? Did she think that that way will provide her some consolation?
Sorry, I don't recall this novel well enough to have any response. It's on the list to reread, but I don't know when.

Hardy was very glad to get back to poetry after the intense negative reaction to this book caused him to abandon fiction. Strange to think about Hardy as so controversial, when in personality he was mild and fairly conventional.

Return to “Fiction General Discussion”