• In total there are 40 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 40 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Coronavirus

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Coronavirus

Unread post

RT wrote:The country now has an empirical view of the consequences of putting a maniac in power, with Fauci warning the US is pushing 400,000 dead next year. Hopefully that will temper the reactionary tendencies in 2024, making people see the serious importance of voting.
Unfortunately, I don't think this will happen. So many people I know are furious that the election was "stolen" from Trump. The election results mean nothing. People all around the country are dying in hospital beds while arguing with nurses that it isn't Covid, because Covid is a hoax. And those that realize Covid is serious blame the States. According to them, Trump is doing everything he can, but the failure is at the state level. It's madness.

I firmly believe the issue is that in the age of information, the flows of information cater to bias in the name of engagement. People are literally living in different realities.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
lanternatdusk
Official Newbie!

Unread post

It is truly frustrating when people claim that the virus is a hoax. It shocks me that these individuals have never asked themselves, "Why would a government prefer to compromise its own economy by locking everything down?"

Sadly, if you ask a conspiracy theorist a question like that, they'll simply retort for no other reason than to avoid "losing the debate."
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Interbane wrote:People are literally living in different realities.
Excuse my pedantry, but this is an incorrect rhetorical use of the word "literally".

Literally means actually. There is only one reality, the physical universe. When people think they are living somewhere else, in an imaginative constructed false "reality", they are literally deluded and incorrect.

I get that you are using the word "reality" to mean the constructed mythological worlds of fantasy that people wrongly believe are true. In that sense Young Earth Creationism, climate denial and Covid denial are "reality", constructed using elaborate conspiracy theories so sectarian communities can maintain a shared sense of meaning and cohesion.

That usage of 'reality' is based on the rather strange claim that reality is dependent on the mind. However, philosophy also has a strong tradition that we can find a shared reality by systematic logic, for example by studying claims for consistency and coherence, recognising that a statement cannot be both true and false.

The relativistic idea that some fact can be 'true for me and false for you' contradicts the logical observation that we live in the same world.

I firmly hold to the principle of evidence that science has revealed the one reality of the physical universe, and it is not possible for people to literally live in different realities. Except in the doomed sense that the Titanic set sail within the 'reality' that ships are stronger than icebergs.

The conspiracy theory of pandemic denial involves a thorough rejection of objective reality. There is still a lot of room for reasonable debate about what constitutes objective reality, but it does not include the argument that thousands of Americans have not died of the pandemic.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Yes, it was literally incorrect :slap: . I'm guilty of the same crime my children constantly commit. Seems to have rubbed off on me.

The idea that one group's truth doesn't apply to another group is something I typically think of with respect to religion. It's historically been the main topic where there are conflicting mainstream worldviews, of which each can't be fully true. It amazes me that the beliefs in question aren't about events that happened 2 millennia ago, but rather events that happened 2 months ago. Alternative worldviews are almost growing of their own accord, spread less by evangelists and more by virality enabled by technology. Instead of a single person who is well versed in how to apologize for discrepancies, all you need is a quick google search.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:The conspiracy theory of pandemic denial involves a thorough rejection of objective reality. There is still a lot of room for reasonable debate about what constitutes objective reality, but it does not include the argument that thousands of Americans have not died of the pandemic.
Interbane wrote:The idea that one group's truth doesn't apply to another group is something I typically think of with respect to religion. It's historically been the main topic where there are conflicting mainstream worldviews, of which each can't be fully true. It amazes me that the beliefs in question aren't about events that happened 2 millennia ago, but rather events that happened 2 months ago. Alternative worldviews are almost growing of their own accord, spread less by evangelists and more by virality enabled by technology. Instead of a single person who is well versed in how to apologize for discrepancies, all you need is a quick google search.
Religious notions include propositions about what is good as well as propositions about what is true. In principle those can be separated and dealt with differently. In practice this is often not easy. Religion has, pretty much from the beginning, conflated the two by using myths, stylized stories about matters that are, for practical purposes, unfalsifiable, to express the vital importance of certain matters (such as the importance of following laws, in Hammurabi's time).

One might argue that this zone of epistemelogical uncertainty is the playing field for scam artists (see "The Sting") and religion is just an example, but religion also involves another dimension of epistemology, in which people decide tribally what to believe. Taboos, curses, love potions, and many other elements of social truthiness help us to understand that people's reasons for believing, and what they are willing to accept as evidence, may depend heavily on social factors at play.

A court of law has traditionally been the venue for bringing forth the facts to sort such matters out. If we can make the uncertainty small enough we can build the kind of social consensus that makes civil society possible. But we have learned, in the last 50 years if not earlier, that courts have their own stupidities. The thread about "12 Angry Men" reminds me of one of the big ones - society does not pay for a proper examination of the facts when it thinks the case is open and shut.

And of course there are orthogonal factors, like race and power, that influence what people are likely to consider open and shut. I am listening to Bessel van der Kolk's excellent book on trauma, "The Body Keeps the Score", in which he notes that trauma-repressed memories were an established fact concerning trauma until the matter came before a court, because of the Boston child molestation by priests, after which experts came forward whose laboratory experience showed that fake memories can be induced even though nothing actually happened. Van der Kolk observes that trauma-induced amnesia doesn't work in the same way and gives some examples that show why. But the court preferred to believe the witness testimony was unbelievable Factors like the prestige of the Catholic Church and the horror of contemplating repeated molestation interfered with willingness to try to get at the truth.

It seems pretty obvious that in the case of coronavirus people are willing to give precedence to the social reinforcement they get for disdaining experts and preferring the value of individual choice (though one wonders how these advocates of liberty justify to themselves the intimidation of mask wearers). And of course most of their foolishness would disappear, practically without a trace, if not for media amplification.

I suspect that if we set up a hearing venue for pinning down facts and let every piece of evidence be brought, a sort of "court of truth" or "Snopes with a big budget", there would still be plenty of conspiracy theories rolling on out there. As your comment suggested, crowdsourcing the apologies for discrepancies would probably do a manageable job of giving the theories oxygen.
erica1994
Official Newbie!
United States of America

Unread post

India now is on alert for new variants
manuuuelll
Official Newbie!

Unread post

This is my book that as a result of the pandemic I started to write. This is a complete AI guide for beginners and experts in the field that would boost your productivity and safe you many hours of your valuable time.

Link: https://www.amazon.es/dp/B0C3JFGGNL/ref ... 116&sr=8-1

Return to “Science & Technology”