• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Purchase Your Copy of Liberal Corruption for Just $7.50 Here:

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Purchase Your Copy of Liberal Corruption for Just $7.50 Here:

Unread post

YoungRepublican wrote:DWill, what I am saying is that the Constitution does not include the phrase "separation of church and state," and that the document instead offers a principle of non-discrimination. Yes, schools administrations should not promote a certain religion over another or coerce students into engaging in certain religious practices. However, what I am saying is that students should have the right the express their religion, contrary to what some radical liberals have claimed and attempted to restrict under the fault premise of Constitutionally guaranteed "separation of church and state."
Well put. I'm not familiar with particular cases, but I don't have a problem believing that at times student religious expression has been stifled in a manner inconsistent with the free expression part of the First Amendment (even though I guess some would argue that statement applies only to adults!).

It's paradoxical, isn't it, that what I'll call, with apologies, the separation of church and state, produced quite a flourishing of religion in the U.S. European countries have state churches, yet much lower interest in religion. So it actually behooves those who value the high rate of religious participation here, to maintain a separation.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

YR wrote:Hope you're happy that you had me rewrite previously mentioned points.
You may have regurgitated some of what you'd previously written, but you didn't address my point at all.

Some religious freedoms for students are allowed. Others are not allowed. Where do we draw the line? I'm not saying that there aren't instances of overreach. I'm saying that, in principle, a line must be drawn on what is allowed.

Should a pastafarian be allowed to have pizza delivered every day during lunch? Should ceremonial daggers be allowed in schools? Should a student be allowed a 2 hour break to face east, kneel, and pray every day? Should a school be allowed to decorate it's walls with custom paintings that say "Our God is Muhammad" or "Satan Rules"?
YR wrote:For example, there was a case called Fleming v. Jefferson County School District which went to the U.S. Court of Appeals (10th circuit) in 2002. The court upheld the school's authority to prevent students from titling their displayed artwork "God is Love." Is that not a blatant example of public schools banning religion?
The tiles said things like "Jesus Wept", "Jesus Christ is Lord", had anarchist symbols, gang graffiti, etc.. Having verbiage that favors one religion over another installed in the school facility violates the first amendment. Staff told the students that they can decorate the tiles however they wished(their expression wasn't banned), but that if the tiles did not meet the guidelines to be installed as part of the facility, then the students would instead be given the tiles to take home.

And a decent quote from Garrett Epps: "If government can't require its officials to support a church; may not support a church itself; and may not interfere with the worship or belief of any church, is there a serious argument that church and state are not separate?"
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
YoungRepublican
Master Debater

Unread post

LanDroid, while you make a decent point, there are some faults within it. The second amendment includes a synonym for the word guns, which is arms. I think it is important to remember that there is no phrase synonymous to "separation of church and state" in the first amendment. Also, would you be willing to provide an example of Christians trying to influence public school curriculum? Additionally, localized incidents are not always important, but it is important to at least consider them because, sometimes, small incidents become a larger reality.

Interbane, I think that students should be allowed to freely express their religious beliefs as long as they do not disturb the peace of cause serious security issues within the school. Furthermore, students should be allowed to take a longer lunch if they genuinely have an obligation to pray during that specific time. Also, school administrations should not be allowed to paint their walls with religious slogans because this violates the clause stating that the government should not favor a specific religion.I believe I already clarified that I believe school administrators should not promote one religion over another. With regards to the tiles, you bring up a fair point. However, the students were prohibited from including any religious slogans on the tiles even prior to their actual creation.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

YR wrote:Furthermore, students should be allowed to take a longer lunch if they genuinely have an obligation to pray during that specific time.
And can you imagine where that slippery slope would eventually lead? This issue, specifically, has been hotly debated, and I agree that allowing exceptions to the scheduled hours of instructional time is foolish.

Here's the specific guidance, for reference:

Guidance on Constitutionally Protected Prayer and Religious Expression in Public Elementary and Secondary Schools
January 16, 2020

Part II. Section A.
Students may pray when not engaged in school activities or instruction, subject to the same rules designed to prevent material disruption of the educational program that are applied to other privately initiated expressive activities. Among other things, students may read their Bibles, Torahs, Korans, or other scriptures; say grace before meals; and pray or study religious materials with fellow students during recess, the lunch hour, or other non-instructional time to the same extent that they may engage in nonreligious activities. While school authorities may impose rules of order and pedagogical restrictions on student activities, they may not discriminate against student prayer or religious perspectives in applying such rules and restrictions.
YR wrote:However, the students were prohibited from including any religious slogans on the tiles even prior to their actual creation.
The art teachers who initiated the project n the fall of 1996, Erin Yust-Brown and Barbara Hirokawa, instructed their students that "tile decorations had to be abstract or nonobjective with no symbols or words." Other teachers saw the project and allowed their students free reign on content. It eventually morphed into a wider project including thousands of tiles.

The teachers obtained permission from administrator Monseu to proceed on a wider basis, outside their classrooms. However, Ms. Monseu directed that there could be no references to the attack, to the date of the attack, April 20, 1999 or 4/20/93, no names or initials of students, no Columbine ribbons, no religious symbols, and nothing obscene or offensive. This direction was given after a great deal of consultation, and was made with the mental health of the students in mind, as they returned to school. That sounds like a ban on creation, but further clarification was given during the case:

Ms. Monseu's notes, included as exhibit 8 in the case, stated "The following guidelines will be used to determine which tiles will be hung in Columbine High School" and that "[t]iles which do not fit within these parameters will not be hung and can be claimed by the person who made the tile."

So while the project morphed into more than the two art teacher's original intent, the restrictions also morphed. Instead of banning symbols or words from initial creation(which is permissible in the classrooms setting), it instead changed the filtering process to be after the creation of tiles. Ms Monseu's guidelines, in other words, did not ban the creation of content, but instead were used to determine which tiles would be hung in the school.

In the end, I see nothing amiss with the case and how it was decided. Instead, it seems you're conflating nuances of the events and passing judgement with broad brushstrokes.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

YoungRepublican wrote: I think it is important to remember that there is no phrase synonymous to "separation of church and state" in the first amendment.
As I stated before, President Jefferson was describing the effect of the first amendment. Guaranteeing free expression + prohibiting Government establishment or discrimination = separation. I see you'll never vary from that weak line of reasoning, so I'll let it go...
Also, would you be willing to provide an example of Christians trying to influence public school curriculum?
Evolution.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

LanDroid wrote:
YoungRepublican wrote:
Also, would you be willing to provide an example of Christians trying to influence public school curriculum?
Evolution.
Indeed. There have been numerous efforts to teach Intelligent Design in public schools as an alternate “theory” to evolution. Fortunately the courts usually prevail, ruling that Intelligent Design is just a thinly veiled version of Creationism. And that teaching it violates separation of church and state.

https://www.pewforum.org/2019/10/03/rel ... 19-update/

Of more concern is the ongoing predominantly conservative Christian bias against evolution because it conflicts with certain antiquated religious beliefs. As such, evolutionary theory—one of the most important ideas of modern science, and well supported by evidence—has become almost taboo in some communities. And some public school teachers go out of their way to avoid teaching it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/a ... on/598312/

This is how fundamentalist religion has had a dumbing down effect on society, and why a large number of Americans still never learn about the the human part of evolution or how all life is intricately connected. A tragedy in my view.
-Geo
Question everything
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Addendum to my previous post: While the teaching of evolution has been stifled somewhat by fundamentalism, so has the teaching of the Bible been stifled by the separation of church and state. This is a shame too. The Bible could be seen as a collection of historical texts that contain much beauty and wisdom. The Bible could be taught as literature and there would be much value in that.
-Geo
Question everything

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”