Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:54 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Biden makes history: receives more votes than any candidate in history 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Platinum Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

Post Re: Biden makes history: receives more votes than any candidate in history
ant wrote:
Quote:
DWill wrote:

OK, support by Latinos and blacks is higher than Democrats would have predicted or of course wanted, but don't exaggerate the numbers. Both groups, I'm pretty sure, overwhelmingly voted for Biden.

Name me one thing Joe Biden, in his 47 year political career, has done for black and brown Americans.

Both groups largely support him, that's my point. Support doesn't have to come only from specific acts as a legislator. Biden's voting record on civil rights is mostly progressive. An obvious point in his favor with blacks is that he loyally served the first black president for eight years. Biden also is a good empathizer, which tends to win people over. The support is just a fact, however much you want to argue that it isn't deserved.

Looking at your other posts, if you are seconding Trump's evidence-free claims of voting fraud, I have to say I'm surprised by that.

Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:36 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I Should Be Bronzed

Taylor wrote:
The anti-tax movement gave birth to the notion of an oppressive U.S. government specifically the American Bureaucracy. It became them, They became the enemy, We started gunning for us, we have targeted ourselves.
The bureaucracy grew a lot under FDR, and grew again with the programs of the 70s. But one of the big, lumbering reasons why it grows is the "cost disease of the service sector." (First made famous among economists back in the 70s). It is easy to add to the productivity of mass production manufacturing, but services are usually tailored to the individual in a way that makes them difficult to mass produce. Think of your doctor, a teacher, a shoe salesman, even an insurance broker. Government has this problem as well. The infamous inefficiency of the Departments of Motor Vehicles has a lot to do with the need to give people individual attention. Things that can be made routine, like renewing vehicle registration, mostly have been streamlined already. We won't even discuss the courts.

In France they have discovered that government can be an instrument of promoting the private sector even while it maintains employment. I was impressed years ago with the "terroir" system of certifying the genuineness and environmental sustainability of local food sources, which in turn makes them more interesting for the French and other Europeans to go sample the local cuisine in the different parts of France. Similar government roles for training youngsters to ski, creating and promoting local hiking and other adventuring, and keeping the TGV high-speed trains efficient all help to keep the society human in a way that market forces have trouble doing.

Taylor wrote:
We are not appalled by reflection from the mirror because we’ve diluted that image. Instead we create outrage from the imagined image reflecting from the others mirrors. It is creepy but true. We are managing to shatter true self image in favor of wicked ideals inculcated by a lifetime of rather bad economic ideas that have been the mainstay of not only American policy but inherently global policy as well.
I am still feeling good about private enterprise and the business sector, but I would like to see it tempered by non-adversarial competition from government. There could be a whole parallel sector that worked like credit unions and would meet a lot of needs. Competition is greatly overrated as a force to bring innovation and success, (consider the range of fundamental innovations that flowed from Bell Labs in the 50s and 60s: your monopoly dollars at work), but it's better than any other I am aware of.

Taylor wrote:
Libertarianism is the contrary to community, the community is crumbling. PSfB has not appreciated this fact. He has compounded it. Neo Liberals can share some of the blame. ( I grant that). The “lesser of two evils” is legitimate but only so far as forward progress moves faster than regression.
Well, if Biden can work across the aisle successfully, I think he could make a lot of headway against the crumbling. He will need good negotiating skills, but I think he showed he has those in the 2009 recovery programs. Let the other side take credit for the stuff that matters greatly to their side, and fashion win-win compromises. Though I am not thrilled by the Welfare Reform program of triangulator Bill Clinton, it was a classic piece of compromise legislation shaped by solid negotiation.

Biden needs to create opportunities along the lines of career and technical education, which is wife is a major advocate for, and which made massive strides in the Obama years. There's more but I have to run.

Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:07 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I Should Be Bronzed

The main other thing I wanted to say is that Biden will need to pick up on a couple of things Trump pushed, but do a better job.

One is to confront China over trade. There is pretty widespread agreement about this among economists: China has not lived up to the spirit of WTO membership, and the rest of the world will be happy to push for a more level playing field. Since China's wages are now in the category of low-income European countries, or middle income Asian, it will have both the confidence and the incentive to make concessions on services and inward investment in order to move its "quality ladders" toward Korea and Taiwan's levels without disrupting markets its investors will need to look forward to.

The other is immigration. Despite his vow to reach comprehensive immigration reform, the country is not going to go back to the political state of play of 2000-2016. No wall is needed, but the path to citizenship he proposed is likely to require achievements out of reach to the average first-generation undocumented worker. The U.S. is no longer a really attractive destination to those in Mexico with means to migrate safely, but there will be Central Americans vying to get in for decades to come. And Joe Biden did not get the kind of mandate it would take to work out a place for them. At best, if he gets the economy on track for real wage gains, he may be able to work out compromises with Republicans whose donor class wants more immigration, since their "base" will no longer see it as a critical threat.

Historians are never going to rehabilitate Trump as a leader or as a person. But like William Jennings Bryan, he is likely to be seen as the cutting edge of a real change in the political make-up of America.

The following user would like to thank Harry Marks for this post:
DWill
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:45 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Beyond Genius

Silver Contributor

Hi Harry :)

I don’t know what I am about to write, My style is really sort of stream of consciousness.

I’m going to begin with the last part first: I think that there is something to the point about a comparison of PSfB and W.J. Bryan. The latter of the two is for me defined by ‘Scopes’, perhaps unfairly so. In perusing his wiki page I am thinking that there is something about the progressive positions he advocated for that were unfairly overshadowed by what I could describe as chaos. To my thinking there were downside economic issues as a result of the lack of central economic control. Something that was ultimately changed in 1913.

The former: PSfB.. ‘Trumpism’ I don’t agree that there is a cutting edge. I think it is more a culmination, a cloak. The guy is nothing more than a realtor, albeit a big city one but a realtor nonetheless, nothing cutting edge there. I’m not putting down the real estate market or the occupation per say, but the subprime debacle is still fairly fresh in my mind. Morgenson’s and Rosner’s “Recless Endangerment” didn’t bode well for the lending industry or for the “Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act” signed into law by a lame duck Bill Clinton.

I hate to bang what seems an out of tune drum, But to me the Elephant symbolizes Libertarianism, it goes by almost everyday unmentioned in the daily course of news feeds. PSfB has only accelerated the cloaking. As far as I can tell, I’m the only one trying to expose the Social Darwinism of the libertarian mentality. I follow various board forums and I’ve come across only one that has had a thread devoted to the topic. Not a good signal if you ask me. That to me is not a denigration of the market economy, in fact, I have written before that I think that there is now only a single economic model remaining. Unfortunately it is more an uninhibited laissez-faire version.

I think that there is an agreement on our part that controls are necessary and important for the common good. I think that those controls will only be achieved through an overhaul of the tax code. I’m not going to be convinced that will happen anytime soon if at all. That to me will be the lasting historical impact of PSfB’s reflection of the political makeup of America.

“The Cost Disease of the Service Sector” is sort of an insidious sounding descriptor. But we have managed to ‘mass produce’ the Service Sector Economy. The downside is the vulnerability of that economy to a viral pandemic. PSfB’s response was a market approach, he set it up so that the states would have to outbid each other for things such as PPE.

The following user would like to thank Taylor for this post:
Harry Marks
Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:22 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Platinum Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

ant wrote:

You know, the guy who had about 30 people at his rallies, hid in his basement for months, and ran the ABSOLUTE SHITTIEST campaign in modern US history.

For real, the shittiest in history? Why do so many other voices credit him for maintaining discipline, staying on message, and avoiding being baited by Trump (exception: the first debate)? I think I can guarantee that Trump's team don't think Biden's approach was a disaster, far from it. There must have been a fair amount of ticket-splitting, with Republicans thinking their party's down-ballot candidates were still OK, but that Trump was the worst possible thing for the party. Biden will get at least as many electoral votes as Trump got in '16, perhaps considerably more, and his popular vote edge will be more than double Clinton's.

Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:40 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Thread Flintstone

ant wrote:
even more than Obama!

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-now-receiv ... 4k9SgwMbHn

Grandpa Joe, who actually struggles to speak in complete sentences, got more votes than Obama.. The guy who never got to ride the "Blue Wave" all the polls and pundits said was coming our way
Let that bullshit sink in for a while.

Some irony to all this:

The democrats spent 4 years crying, kicking and screaming about how Trump's presidency was illegitimate and his victory or Clinton was full of illegal shenanigans.
They also blasted the Electoral College when Trump won.
Now "the system works" and there's absolutely no chance in hell any "fix" was in for Biden. Noooooooo! Not a chance! The Democratic party is too honest for that!

Despite 4 years of the left telling everyone Trump and the right are a bunch of racists that hate Latinos in particular (all those cages at the border!), Latinos (and other minority groups) actually came out in droves to vote for him this time around.
Marinate on that for a while, particularly if your white and have taken the liberty to inform people of color how they should feel about the past 4 years.

The Democratic Party is a sorry, empty, unprincipled, immoral shell of what it used to be.
How can anyone with half a brain actually feel good about the future of this morally bankrupt party?

:lol: :lol:

AWWWW!!!! You mad, bro?? :lol:

Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:41 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

I really think he got so many votes because of how much many of us hate Trump. I didn't vote "for" Biden as much as I voted "against" an immoral disgusting bull and tyrant.

The following user would like to thank Chris OConnor for this post:
Harry Marks, Robert Tulip
Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:06 am
Profile Email WWW
Master Debater

The whole world followed these elections .. In general, everything changes this year, as if life will never be the same again. It is very important to remain yourself in all this fuss ... Books and various systems of self-knowledge, astrology, Volikov's test, yoga, meditation help me ... all this helps me to establish contact with myself and deepen.

The following user would like to thank asya47 for this post:
Chris OConnor
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:22 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2