Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:19 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
WANTED: Non-fiction book suggestions for Nov. - Dec. discussion! 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

WANTED: Non-fiction book suggestions for Nov. - Dec. discussion!
What non-fiction book do you suggest we read and discuss in November, December and January?

Here are my suggestions....

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail
Bill Bryson

The Ape that Understood the Universe: How the Mind and Culture Evolve
Steve Stewart-Williams

The Autobiography of Malcolm X
Malcolm X

The Founding Myth: Why Christian Nationalism Is Un-American
Andrew L. Seidel

Message to the Blackman in America
Elijah Muhammad

Outgrowing God: A Beginner's Guide
Richard Dawkins

Are We Smart Enough to Know How Smart Animals Are?
Frans de Waal

Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:04 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I Should Be Bronzed

Post Re: WANTED: Non-fiction book suggestions for Nov. - Dec. discussion!
The first two and the last sound great. I might also suggest "New Power" by Timms and Heimans, something good by Brene Brown, "Caste" by Isabel Wilkerson, or "Bowling Alone" (if the group has not already read that one).

The following user would like to thank Harry Marks for this post:
Chris OConnor, Robert Tulip
Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:43 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Harry, I was looking at Caste as an idea too. Great suggestion!

Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:01 pm
Profile Email WWW
Official Newbie!

All are great suggestions but I would like to begin with ###Are We Smart Enough to Know How Smart Animals Are?

Below are my reasons-
*** This may be a good starter book for anyone who wishes to discuss and understand evolutional psychology and the book on "The Ape who ......
*** Remember Matrix part 3 where machines eat people? well, do we need o worry about animals on similar lines?
*** Having done a 3 week road trip of Southern US, I cant imagine the breath taking view detailed in the book, "A walk in the woods...but let me read about animals I may need to fear or admire first ...:)

Thanks for listening folks!

The following user would like to thank Pri2020 for this post:
Chris OConnor, Harry Marks
Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:54 am
Profile Email

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Thanks for your suggestion, Pri2020. :-)

Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:31 pm
Profile Email WWW
Reading Fool

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

I just finished Caste and recommend it although it is painful reading. It's amazing how little discussion there is of the American caste system even though upon consideration it immediately becomes obvious that system exists.

What's the deal with the Nation of Islam (NOI) book by Elijah Muhammad? I sometimes listen to a local NOI radio program. At times they have unusual and very interesting insights. At times they make incredibly stupid statements. (Example: Light cannot travel through a vacuum.) Anti-Semitic comments frequently slip into the commentary. :no:

Well having said that, The Autobiography of Malcolm X could be interesting. He was killed by NOI. Not sure why I have ambivalence between the two books. :hmm:

Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25

The following user would like to thank LanDroid for this post:
Chris OConnor, Harry Marks
Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:08 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Platinum Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

Probably too many suggestions already, but I'd like to get into John Dean's new Authoritarian Nightmare: Trump and His Followers. Trump will be gone soon (yes, he will!), but Dean's book looks at the milieu from which Trump arose.

A Walk in the Woods is a breezy read and quite funny, if that kind of book works for discussion. As an AT hiker myself, I liked Bryson's irreverent take on hiker culture.

The following user would like to thank DWill for this post:
Harry Marks
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:06 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

DWill wrote:
I'd like to get into John Dean's new Authoritarian Nightmare: Trump and His Followers. Trump will be gone soon (yes, he will!), but Dean's book looks at the milieu from which Trump arose.

I support this suggestion. The psychological and political comparison between President Trump and other imperial autocrats through history offers a compelling story.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Authoritarian ... 1990549054

Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:23 pm
Profile Email WWW
Reading Fool

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

I've read 5 or 6 Trump books and I'm F'n done with that! I've wasted too much time in the last 5 years fretting about that mentally ill adolescent bully. But if you select the Dean book I'll read it. :lol: :P

Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:58 pm
Reading Fool

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

I assume it's too late to add another, but this new book looks fascinating. I believe the author is an expert on military history. I read Fiasco about the Iraq war.

First Principles: What America's Founders Learned from the Greeks and Romans and How That Shaped Our Country by Thomas Ricks

Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:08 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.