• In total there are 24 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 24 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Trump Watch

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Trump Watch

Unread post

In a change of subject, what are people thinking about the conventions; what comparisons are you making? I was surprised first of all by my interest in these events. I recollect the conventional conventions of the past as shambolic affairs full of bloviating speakers and somewhat manufactured drama. I guess I've responded to the neat packaging of the 2020 events--three hours of tightly scheduled segments and you're done. In between, interesting panelists (PBS, in my case) give their reactions. I mean, when has Bill Clinton ever spoken for just five minutes?

The odds seemed against the Republicans to pull off anything as effective as the Democrats' show. But I think they might have done it in their very different way, largely through the force of personality of the president. The Rs have no participation from either past or current party elders--no Bush or Romney, no McConnell or Graham. One pundit asked whether that was going to signal a party failure, or was it going to formalize a new, independent direction for the party, epitomized by Donald Trump, Jr.?

The most interesting strategy so far has been to highlight a softer Donald Trump, Sr. He has played the genial host to several groups, and he's good at it. The attacking has been left to others. His better half, Melania, came off as much less confrontational than her past counterpart, Michelle Obama. When her hubby speaks, will he also try to shine the light rather than paint dark pictures? That approach really hasn't worked for him before, as he has difficulty not reverting to character afterwards.

This convention cries out for fact-checking, with several speakers claiming that Biden favors defunding the police, that he will raise taxes on 80% of Americans, and that Trump created the greatest economy in American history. Nikki Haley told us that Trump led us back to prosperity once, so he can do it again after we conquer the virus. The virus is, of course, the elephant in the room for this Republican convention.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

Frank Bruni pointed out today how shamelessly the Republicans have contradicted the truth. I like the Charlie Kirk observation.
"President Trump was elected to defend the American way of life. The American way of life means you follow the law, you work hard, you honor God, you raise your kids with strong values and you work to create a civil society."

How can Trump defend that when he doesn't believe in, or follow, a single one of those values? 0 for 5. He will be in the con artists' Hall of Fame for sure.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Just ended: the second coronation of a lying, phoney baloney president. "Promises made, promises kept."

Right--He'll release his tax returns. He'll totally separate himself from his businesses.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... Fstory-ans
Last edited by DWill on Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

DWill wrote:Just ended: the second coronation of a lying, phoney baloney president. "Promises made, promises kept."

Right--He'll release his tax returns. He'll totally separate himself from his businesses.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... Fstory-ans
Still waiting for the democrats to condemn all the violence
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

ant wrote:Still waiting for the democrats to condemn all the violence
There have been plenty. This is the latest.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... nosha.html
But once is not enough. Five, ten times is never enough. You are actually looking for something else. Maybe you should figure out what it is?
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

How absurd our country is in some respects. A 17-yr.-old kid comes onto a very volatile scene toting a military style rifle, and it's ok, his second amendment right.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

In a long statement Sunday afternoon, Biden called "the deadly violence" in Portland "unacceptable" and said he condemns "violence of every kind by anyone, whether on the left or the right."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-e ... uxbndlbing

Biden also condemns President Trump for fanning the flames of hate. We now have Trump supporters showing up at protests with guns, all tacitly supported by our President because it supports the narrative that the left is out of control.

Let's be frank. Some protests for racial justice have attracted anarchists, eager to damage property, loot stores and even attack innocent bystanders. Now we have the militia idiots trying to muck things up. There are bad actors on both sides; it's overly simplistic to blame all the violence on the left.
Civil, peaceful disagreement is indispensable to our system of democratic government. Now is the time to protect it.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/opinion/ ... uxbndlbing
-Geo
Question everything
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I support peaceful protest, but I have to admit some discomfort at protesters showing up night after night in a city. What's the plan in that? It seems a little like the Occupy Movement, and violent clashes become more likely.

I can accept that repudiating looting and burning is a relative problem for Democrats, even though Biden has made late, forceful statements. But for Trump's people to imply that Trump has been unequivocal himself in condemning violence is ridiculous. If it's about violence against property, yes that's true, but not when it comes to violence against people.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

DWill wrote:A 17-yr.-old kid comes onto a very volatile scene toting a military style rifle, and it's ok, his second amendment right.
A 17-yr.-old kid does not have a second amendment right. His mommy got him that gun, she should be arrested and tried for murder too.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

geo wrote:it's overly simplistic to blame all the violence on the left.
If these looters actually voted who’s to say they wouldn’t be PSfB voters?

Return to “Current Events & History”