• In total there are 5 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

What are you reading these days?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Anastasia_Simonds
Getting Comfortable

Re: What are you reading these days?

Unread post

Hi everyone! I recently released a novel, Irrevocable Consequence. It’s an ebook and available on Amazon and most places. Check it out if you like. https://www.amazon.com/Irrevocable-Cons ... ext&sr=1-1
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I was thinking about the McCullough book, but...
My daughter and son-in-law gave me a audible.com one-year membership for my birthday. Through it, I am 'reaqding' John Grisham's "Camino Winds." I read "Camino Island" and enjoyed it.

Also, despite the over-hype, I got curious about "The Adventures of Captain Bonneville," largely because it was written by Washington Irving. I found a free e-book edition on Amazon, and decided to give it a try. So far it is interesting; the 19th century writing style takes some getting used to, but not a major problem. I will leave a more detailed opinion when I finish it.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
OF879
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Horror Books on Kindle by Christopher Bike
Reading Title "Conflict Darkness"

Dolls vs. Ghosts
chesterlambert
Official Newbie!

Unread post

The main part reveals your thoughts and ideas in more detail. Usually this block is divided into several paragraphs: each of them contains the answer to the question (or the rationale for the problem), which is raised in the text. It is like a discussion, when a point is discussed and considered from all sides, and in the essay the reader is invited to look at the situation from different points of view. In the main block of the essay, it is important to show how deeply you understand the subject, how well you know the topic. Support your conclusions and statements with logic, arguments, examples and the words of authoritative (in a particular field) people. If the questions you are considering in the essay span more than one paragraph, break each one into several parts. In this case, you can make several logically related paragraphs or a classic list of points-theses. essaywriter.org
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Just finished reading "The Darwin Affair," a Victorian era mystery by Tim Mason, and have started "Normal People" by Sally Rooney. Also 'reading' an audio book my daughter recommended. "The Vagrant," by Peter Newman. It is fantasy, the first in a series. Jury is still out on this one.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

I have really gotten into two mystery series, because I like their characterization. Both also make good use of a sense of place.

Martin Walker's Perigord series (featuring Bruno, Chief of Police: "Death in the Dordogne" is the first) features the area of Southern France with the cave paintings, but it focuses more on the region's relationship with food and its provinciality, both typified by Bruno. His main love interest is a career woman who cannot understand his attachment to the region. If you like France, and I do, this series brings out the reasons. And it's an excellent read - I am through 6 so far with no loss of interest.

Louise Penny's celebrated "Inspector Gamache" series is unrealistic in the number of murders in a small Quebec town not far from the American border, and as the number of volumes grew, Penny began to locate the murders farther afield, especially in Quebec City. No matter. Like the number of murders that Agatha Christie's Miss Marple found herself in the middle of (or Brother Cadfael), one learns to ignore such literalness and enjoy the poetic license. I love the characters in the small town of Three Pines (but my wife finds them wearing, even though she has read more Gamache books than I have). They banter, they tussle, they wonder about each other, but in the end they are friends. In each new book you get to see her skill sketching new characters with a few observations, a little back story (or not), some remarks and some somber thoughts. So far the plots have not disappointed me, but one reads Penny not mainly for the suspense or the whodunit revelations, but for the humanity of the interactions between the principals. It isn't easy to make one murder after another seem both interesting and novel. I am up to number 9, with one peek ahead.
brian douglas
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

I'm listening to The Plague by Camus.

35 years ago I was taking French in college and decided to write a report on this book which was in french... it was beginners french and I put it off as one does at that age to the point where I had to buy Cliff Notes and write a half-@$$ essay. It didn't work out so well.

I am enjoying the english audiobook this time around.
On the thin ice of modern life...
ReddFoxx
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Moby Dick. I’ve been reading it for months now because it’s hard to read a lot at a time. 20 pages to go now.
I loved the start of the book through Ishmael’s eyes, especially meeting Queequeg for the first time but I feel that as the book went on, the narration became increasingly detached and I found it quite hard to keep myself interested through some parts. I also like to read light novels like shinka no mi novel online and still waiting for it new chapters.
Last edited by ReddFoxx on Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Life My Style
brian douglas
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

ReddFoxx wrote:Moby Dick. I’ve been reading it for months now because it’s hard to read a lot at a time. 20 pages to go now.
I loved the start of the book through Ishmael’s eyes, especially meeting Queequeg for the first time but I feel that as the book went on, the narration became increasingly detached and I found it quite hard to keep myself interested through some parts.

I've had the same issue with completing Moby Dick (audiobook) . I start out well but my mind wanders and multiple pages become white noise in which I lose track.
On the thin ice of modern life...
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

brian douglas wrote:I've had the same issue with completing Moby Dick (audiobook) . I start out well but my mind wanders and multiple pages become white noise in which I lose track.
Just finished Anna Karenina on audiobook. Maybe because I only listened while exercising, I did not have too much problem with wandering mind. It also helps that Tolstoy's obsessions match up well with my own.

Return to “Everything Else”