• In total there are 49 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 48 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Debut of the D Team

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Debut of the D Team

Unread post

Aside from the weird, lockdownish atmosphere, the joint appearance by Biden and his new VP pick went quite well. Of course, the greatest interest was Kamala Harris, but viewers had to note that the man who wants to be her boss didn't seem like the faltering fool he's been painted as. Unless you want to make a big thing out of his tending to run together the words "president of the United States," you might have to recognize that he has enough speaking ability and presence at a podium to win an election and lead a country. Criticisms of his speech and cognitive abilities have been context-free, anyway. Google "Trump's problems with pronunciation" and see a person really struggle with the language. Watch any unscripted "speech" by Trump and see an excited man saying whatever comes into his head next, with little logical connection.

Charges that Kamala Harris will be running the show are an unintended compliment to her abilities. But there is no sign that she will play first fiddle. What Biden and she have in mind is the partnership that Obama and Biden had for their eight years. People forget that Biden's VP years gave him much additional valuable governing experience, and Harris should get a similar opportunity in a Biden administration.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Re: Debut of the D Team

Unread post

One thing I have in common with Kamala Harris is how cruel I can get with my disparagement of young people.

Let's cheer her on!
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

The strange thing about her comments is that she said them as a defense of young people as part of her Back on Track program. People who are 18 are charged as adults, yet they are still developing and they still make stupid mistakes. The program was successful in San Francisco.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:The strange thing about her comments is that she said them as a defense of young people as part of her Back on Track program. People who are 18 are charged as adults, yet they are still developing and they still make stupid mistakes. The program was successful in San Francisco.

Right.. Disparage Me / Protect Me

Has a nice ring to it.

You're great with a mop. I'll give you that.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

So you missed the point?

I think her real exposure is Jamal Truelove.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
So you missed the point?

I think her real exposure is Jamal Truelove.

No, I think it was a tactless thing to say.

I have no real qualms against Harris.

Do I think her pick was pandering to people of color and women? Yes.

Also, I was glad when she came forward and said she believed the sexual misconduct allegations against Biden.
You got a knife on you to cut all this thick irony?
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

No, I think it was a tactless thing to say.
In what way?
You got a knife on you to cut all this thick irony?
What's ironic?

I think Biden is slipping. I think Harris is a ruthless ladder climber. If she can put that ruthlessness to work in favor of the US, rather than against it's citizens, I'm not opposed to her.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

In what way?
Not surprising you'd have to ask.
What's ironic?
About her condemning his sexual misconduct and then turning a blind eye to it?
Sorry, I thought as a woman she might want to explain why her convictions are suddenly missing.

I think Biden is slipping
Into a coma before the nation's eyes?
I agree
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Sorry, I thought as a woman she might want to explain why her convictions are suddenly missing.
In her words, "It's just politics". :weep:

We need to have a revolution, and adopt some other system. I'm a fan of delegative democracy.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
In her words, "It's just politics". :weep:

We need to have a revolution, and adopt some other system. I'm a fan of delegative democracy.

Too bad not details were discussed before having to pay 20 dollars for the article

Return to “Current Events & History”