• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 736 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:38 am

My Next Read

This forum is dedicated to discussing your preferred FICTION authors, books, and genres.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Murmur
Internet Sage

Re: My Next Read

Unread post

higgyhann10 wrote: What book should I read next?
Try one of these:

1. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
2. The Cyberiad
3. Paradise Lost (by Milton)
4. When Gravity Fails (by Effinger)
5. I, Claudius
6. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
7. Vathek
greg_on_data
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I might be able to help out if you're looking for a semi-programmatic way to find a new book? I just finished this little site that's just based on goodreads ratings / classifications - there's a few classification issues in it but its been super helpful to myself and my friends (and I'm just proud of finishing it...)

For example nonfiction books: https://nextnovelproject.com/genres/non-fiction
brian douglas
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Another vote for The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.

You may also enjoy Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol.
On the thin ice of modern life...
Eladi31
Official Newbie!

Unread post

hi,
Since you mentioned a Russian, I'll try to stay in the same "neighborhood" so to say, and come up with a few more titles:
Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
Tolsoy, Short Stories
You said no Dostoevsky, but if you went past the little "monastery " problem(after all, it only appears briefly in one novel), you would discover that he is one of the most wonderful novelists, in fact his great genius is that his novels seem to have been written yesterday.
A shorter book that could get you started is Notes from the Underground. My personal favorite is The Demons and of course The Brothers Karamazov and The Idiot. My leas favorite was Crime and Punishment
Nikolai Gogol, Dead Souls and The Mantle
Tatjiana Tolstaya(she is Tolstoy's great grand daughter), The Slynx, a post apocalyptic tale about the power of humanity and books.

Return to “Fiction General Discussion”