• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 726 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:31 am

Republicans offer a start at police reform. Dems cancel it and offer..,

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Republicans offer a start at police reform. Dems cancel it and offer..,

Unread post

THIS..,

Dismantle the entire political and economic system!

Ironically Ihan Omar's family obtained asylum in the US in 1982. She and her family are originally from Somalia which has a horrendous history of human rights issues, particularly as it relates to women.

This is absolute craziness. You'd think a person who came from such a ravaged, hideously oppressive nation state like Somalia could find SOMETHING to salvage here in the USA as a member of the democratic party.

Omar has a BA in political science.

We've heard her desire to literally take down our entire economic and political system but we have yet to hear what this genius's plan is to replace both.

Tear down and replace with what exactly, Ms. Democratic representative of the people?

Which one of you would vote for this absolute tool to be a member of anything, let alone a public office?
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Re: Republicans offer a start at police reform. Dems cancel it and offer..,

Unread post

I'm confused by the title of this thread. Where in this video do Republicans offer a "start" in police reform?

Otherwise, we see a freshman congressman who wants to "dismantle the United States' economy and political systems" without giving a hint for how this would be done. I don't really have a lot of hope for the Democratic Party if they were to embrace this kind of ideology. But then I still think of Ilhan Omar as a fringe figure on the left, who will fade just as many Tea Party figures on the right have.
-Geo
Question everything
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

The police reform bill that was rejected by the democrats mainly because they want to use it as a talking point during the election.

You know, i was a start at least and something the democrats couldn't come up with themselves under Obama/Biden in 8 years.

Hopefully she does fade away - fast.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Democrats in the House had a police reform bill ready, and it passed June 25 with three Republicans voting for it. Democrats aren't sitting on their hands. Senate Democrats could have voted to begin discussing amendments to Republican Senator Tim Scott's bill, but they declined to because they felt the bill doesn't go far enough. Since that is the case, in their opinion, the bill wouldn't have a chance of becoming law and talking would be a waste of time. Changes could have been made to it, but Democrats saw little chance that Republicans would agree with their priorities. Still, two Dems, plus an Independent, voted to proceed with discussion of the Scott bill, but they were four votes short.

I agree with those who say that failure to pass a reform bill before next election would be a serious failure by Congress. Senator Scott says he is hopeful that his initiative could yet be the basis for compromise. However, it's important to remember in whose hands lies most of the power for change: the state and local police police departments. The Federal government doesn't have authority over these departments. That's why the federal bills rely on incentives in the form of federal aid to local and state departments. Comply with federal requirements, and you'll keep your funding or get additional money. Citizens need to demand changes in the police departments that serve them.

None of the legislation proposed, by the way, includes defunding police departments.

The biggest sticking point between the sides appears to be qualified immunity. Republicans want to keep the legal protections for individual officers accused of wrongdoing. Without such protection from civil suit, departments would be less able to attract qualified applicants, Republicans say. Democrats, of course, say that shielding officers makes them more likely to act with impunity and deprives victims and their families of justice. I lean toward Republicans on that difficult point.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

DWill wrote:Democrats in the House had a police reform bill ready, and it passed June 25 with three Republicans voting for it. Democrats aren't sitting on their hands. Senate Democrats could have voted to begin discussing amendments to Republican Senator Tim Scott's bill, but they declined to because they felt the bill doesn't go far enough.

The biggest sticking point between the sides appears to be qualified immunity.
It is an unfortunate situation if civil suits are the best means we have for rooting out racist and abusive behavior. I have to believe there are methods out there in use that would decrease such problems, but that they are not being proclaimed for political reasons.

I tend to think qualified immunity has been frequently abused to protect bad cops from the consequences of their malpractice. But I also don't feel fully informed. It may be that departments already have sufficient incentive to recruit and train officers for more sensible and effective behavior. Lawsuits would increase the incentive for individuals to behave responsibly, especially the partners who get caught up in the misbehavior of the other. But it would also increase the incentive to agree on a lie and follow the code of silence.

I am not too worried that police keeping their bodycams on, for self-protection, would lead to timid or ineffective policing. Maybe I have seen too many cop shows, but it seems to me that increasing transparency is going to benefit the public one way or another, either by improving police behavior or by showing misbehavior clearly.

Return to “Current Events & History”