Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:12 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 269 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next
Trump Watch 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Thread Flintstone

Post Re: Trump Watch
What kind of bonehead move is it to say that we need less testing to get the virus count down and when your staff tell the media he was joking (he wasn't, that's a real solution according to Trumpian logic), he insists he wasn't and to prove it he's now yanking all funding for testing??????? It boggles the mind to think a president could be so childishly vindictive, cruel and stupid all at the same time.

Just like his refusal to wear a mask. Everyone knows it's because his makeup will come off on the mask and everyone will laugh at him. So he turns it into a political weapon and his stupid followers go along and also refuse to wear masks and we see the result it is having in the Trump-loving South. But does he care that his BS is ramping up the infection- and death-rate? No. He couldn't care less.

I think most Americans have had enough of this crap.

The following user would like to thank DB Roy for this post:
Harry Marks, Robert Tulip
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:29 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sophomore

Apparently Trump tweeted a video that had two people saying "white power" and didn't realize it. In my opinion, he had it up so long purely due to stupidity, and he didn't even listen to nor watch the video.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/202 ... -politics/

Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:51 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Most all of you ( heck, none of you) will not mention it because of the bandwagon, or are afraid to because it might sound too pro trump, but this new law signed by Trump seems like it can reduce class discrimination:

skill and merit over degrees

https://newsvoice.com/i/4675861

Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:23 am
Profile Email
Sophomore

ant wrote:
Most all of you ( heck, none of you) will not mention it because of the bandwagon, or are afraid to because it might sound too pro trump, but this new law signed by Trump seems like it can reduce class discrimination:

Ok.

Hey, that's great!

Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:58 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Platinum Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

It's fine, although I would think difficult to enforce against entrenched bureaucracies. I'd expect that experience would be added as another important area of qualifications. How else are skills acquired and demonstrated?

Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:32 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I Should Be Bronzed

ant wrote:
Most all of you . . .are afraid to because it might sound too pro trump, but this new law signed by Trump seems like it can reduce class discrimination:

I hope the edit does not offend: I lifted out the part that applies to me. I really do hate approving of anything he does. But this one sounds good.

Of course a lot of Civil Service jobs are already filled from test results. If you are doing a specific thing in the job, you take a test to show you can do the thing. My Civil Service job did not, but my degrees counted for almost nothing. I was hired because I had done a relevant type of work 15 years before, in addition to knowing the field (international economics). Some of the best people in that job had been go-getters rather than experts.

There has been a lot of criticism of meritocracy as practiced in the US today. Some of the criticism focuses on the discrimination that results. The problem is partly reliance on degrees, and while I am in favor of degrees, I really don't like the idea of people getting practical jobs because of credentials, especially if the credentials are not directly relevant. Experience should certainly be important, and probably more important than credentials.

I am a little skeptical about the implementation. For one thing, Trump seems to have emphasized personal loyalty over skill at every non-military opportunity. For another, any time you downgrade an objective criterion, you may be increasing the scope for old-boy networks, cronyism and "fitting in", which have been far more discriminatory in the past. So the combination looks a little suspicious.

Still, why not give the change the benefit of the doubt, at least at first?

The following user would like to thank Harry Marks for this post:
DWill
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:35 pm
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

Kayleigh McEnany is spot on here regarding the medias blind eye to all the violence that's skyrocketing in big cities.

This is justified outrage.
Tearing down statues is a peripheral issue when compared to innocent lives cut short.

Youtube some of this.. In once instance the police arrived at a shooting only to be harassed and nearly chased away by violent thugs, who if they participate in voting, will likely vote Democrat.

The left is full of self righteous moral indignation.

We don't have journalists .. We have political activists masquerading as journalists.

Last edited by ant on Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:04 pm
Profile Email
I Should Be Bronzed

ant wrote:
Kayleigh McEnany is spot on here regarding the medias blind eye to all the violence that's skyrocketing in big cities.
This is justified outrage.
Tearing down statues is a peripheral issue when compared to innocent lives cut short.
Maybe, but it's hard to pin down what exactly should have been done to prevent the violence surge, or what should be done about it now. The surge in killings in both Chicago and Baltimore had a lot to do with loss of jobs and, oddly enough, police success. When the gangs were broken up, especially in Chicago, the guns found their way to 14 to 16 year old fools who have no idea what life is about and who started picking fights with guns like boys that age usually pick fights with fists.

The current surge may be due to the police being tied up with demonstrations, or it may be due to covid lockdown, or it may be due to lack of funding for schools facing massive cuts.

ant wrote:
In once instance the police arrived at a shooting only to be harassed and nearly chased away by violent thugs, who if they participate in voting, will likely vote Democrat.
Big if. Most of the kids in that mess consider things like voting to be beneath their dignity, and can't see beyond the next potential slight from a rival. They are more likely than not to be incarcerated by the time they reach voting age.

ant wrote:
The left is full of self righteous moral indignation.
You just showed a video of the right being full of self-righteous moral indignation. It seems to be in the air these days. I would love to see more real action and less symbolism - on both sides or either one.

ant wrote:
We don't have journalists .. We have political activists masquerading as journalists.
This is a long-run problem the country needs to take on. Journalism is commercial in the U.S., which means that the journalist's instinct for conflict simply divides into the ones who portray liberals as the good guys and the ones who portray conservatives as the good guys. How do we finance journalism of integrity, that focuses on solutions and successes and turning points, rather than on taking political sides? I think of the old MacNeil-Lehrer News Hour, which was as willing to put George Will on as to put Robert Reich on. That may be as close as we have ever come.

Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:56 pm
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

Harry wrote:

Quote:
Maybe, but it's hard to pin down what exactly should have been done to prevent the violence surge

It's called the National Guard.
When the Guard was called and arrived in Los Angeles, the looting came to nearly a complete stop.
In situations like social anarchy it does little to open a forum to debate what exactly needs to be done when you have specific resources that are available and have been known from experience to quell civil unrest. Indecisiveness is a hallmark of Democratic thinking.

Quote:
Big if. Most of the kids in that mess consider things like voting to be beneath their dignity, and can't see beyond the next potential slight from a rival. They are more likely than not to be incarcerated by the time they reach voting age.

I think you're right here. The problem is I worry about the few that do.

Quote:
You just showed a video of the right being full of self-righteous moral indignation. It seems to be in the air these days.

As I said, I consider it justified. But it does seem to be in the air these days. It is much, MUCH more prevalent on the left though.
Follow mainstream media today if you don't normally do. You will see it daily

I'm glad you agree with the statement journalism of today is actually political activism:

CNN
MSNBC
PBS
CBS
ABC
NYT
NewYorker
LAT

vs

Fox

Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:14 pm
Profile Email
I Should Be Bronzed

Paul Krugman, pithy as always, made some observations about why Trump's policy analysis has been so useless, inconsistent and even incoherent:
Krugman wrote:
But while you can trust incompetent hacks to toe the party line, one thing you can’t expect them to do is devise policy responses to a crisis they weren’t expecting.

Hence Trump’s policy paralysis. There’s nobody he trusts to be both competent and personally loyal, because those are, in a fundamental sense, incompatible traits. So he effectively decided early on not to even try to deal with Covid-19, and just brazen it through instead.

Sorry I don't have a cite. I get email from his column. Probably it will hit the web soon.

Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:19 pm
Profile Email
I Should Be Bronzed

ant wrote:
Harry wrote:
Quote:
Maybe, but it's hard to pin down what exactly should have been done to prevent the violence surge

It's called the National Guard.
When the Guard was called and arrived in Los Angeles, the looting came to nearly a complete stop.
In situations like social anarchy it does little to open a forum to debate what exactly needs to be done when you have specific resources that are available and have been known from experience to quell civil unrest. Indecisiveness is a hallmark of Democratic thinking
We seem to have a disconnect here. I thought we were talking about the shootings that hit the news this weekend, which seem to have had nothing to do with the looters or demonstrators.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/01/us/homic ... index.html
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/06/us/child ... index.html
We don't usually call the National Guard in for crime waves, in large part because they are effective more against massed violence than against the shootings that crop up when there are too many guns around and too much trauma around. Maybe this looks like the same social anarchy to you, but to me it looks very similar to waves of shootings that occurred in the years before the virus.
ant wrote:
Quote:
You just showed a video of the right being full of self-righteous moral indignation. It seems to be in the air these days.

As I said, I consider it justified. But it does seem to be in the air these days. It is much, MUCH more prevalent on the left though.
Follow mainstream media today if you don't normally do. You will see it daily
When is self-righteous moral indignation not justified to those who agree with the condemnation?
Quote:
I'm glad you agree with the statement journalism of today is actually political activism:

CNN MSNBC PBS CBS ABC NYT NewYorker LAT vs Fox
I am somewhat concerned with equating journalism with activism, but I have been stunned by the extent to which CNN and MSNBC fill their time with material that could be considered political activism. PBS aims for factuality, but again, with their choice of what to cover, they clearly promote criticism of social ills and those who want to underline them. More prevalent on the left? Maybe. Every time I watch Fox the moral posturing seems to be heavily laced into the commentary, but I don't watch it that often. By the way, Fox is not the only one on the right - the Wall Street Journal is, and the mainstream press considers the L.A. Times to be conservative (and they certainly entertain strident, morally indignant conservative voices regularly), plus there is the Washington Times and the New York Post and the New York Daily News, and, in its timid way, USA Today.

But leave that aside. I have worked on the inside of the press, many decades ago, and it is clear to me that the professional press leans to the left. This is partly just the shadow side of the way violent institutions have traditionally hushed up their abuses, and truth-telling is an exciting way to be virtuous. In many parts of the world being a journalist is life-threatening, and journalists are very conscious of the dynamic in which power wants impunity and the press threatens it. To me that confrontation with power is a very good thing, creating accountability where there might not be otherwise.

But I accept the criticism that this dynamic also leads the press to take sides with those who criticize power, sometimes irresponsibly. Another part of the story is that taking a morally superior position is easier if you aren't actually responsible for the outcome, and the press can slip by with that. As true on the right as on the left, of course.

The following user would like to thank Harry Marks for this post:
ant, Robert Tulip
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:58 pm
Profile Email
I Should Be Bronzed

Roger Stone is a victim. And what do we think about people who hide their crime behind victimhood? Well, if we are this president, we believe they should be let off of punishment.

So, let's get this straight. If you are a crony of the president, you don't have to worry about the penalties of the law. The big guy in the big house has your back. So you can . . . .

While if you tell the truth about what the president does, you will lose your job. And be investigated. For . . . . telling the truth about what the president does. Which is now going to be treated as against the law. Because the law is . . . . whatever the president says it is.

Despite his oath to uphold the constitution and enforce the laws.

Is it possible that conservatives don't see this? Is it possible that the president's voter base does not care? Do they prefer to live under tyranny so long as the tyrant takes their side on social issues?

Whoa.

Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:05 am
Profile Email
Thread Flintstone

Trump isn't doing anything different than he's always done. He will continue to break the law until someone stops him. Protesting his actions won't do any good. He cannot self-police and he will not. He will thumb his nose at his opponents, taunt them and dare them to stop him because he knows they won't. He has suffered no consequences for anything he's done so why should he care? If people want him to stop, they will have to stop him.

The following user would like to thank DB Roy for this post:
Harry Marks
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:14 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Platinum Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

A variant of the Trump reelection banner, seen in my area, reads, "TRUMP 2020. NO MORE BULLSHIT."
And I wonder just what that is supposed to mean.

Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:52 pm
I Should Be Bronzed

DWill wrote:
A variant of the Trump reelection banner, seen in my area, reads, "TRUMP 2020. NO MORE BULLSHIT."
And I wonder just what that is supposed to mean.

Me too. It sounds to me like "Money talks, bullshit walks" or just "show me the money."

If we accept that most Trump voters are voting symbolically, for someone who stands for the emotional commitments they feel matter most, and we accept that traditional masculinity is the impulse behind racial animosity, opposition to abortion, and rage over being replaced by low wage workers abroad, then it kind of adds up.

Racial animosity follows because traditional masculinity comes from a posture of hostility to all except allies (and even they have to prove themselves over and over), seeing the world as a dangerous place in which we need to watch our own back and guard the honor that comes from defending what is ours, so that any hint of "other" will automatically be interpreted as rivalry and the need to crush it.

Opposition to abortion follows because a woman is only to be trusted if she understands her dependence and agrees to the bargain of her submission in exchange for the man's protection, and anything less than bearing children within this compact is an attack on the patriarchal social order. (This may sound like a stretch, but engage an abortion opponent in honest, curious discussion sometime - I have not found any exception to the pattern that traditional gender roles are considered to be at stake. Women who oppose abortion are as attached to these as men. Think of it as orthodoxy.)

Rage over competition from abroad follows because the pressure of the masculine role demands that social and economic order support the breadwinner. Life is tough enough as it is, without elites rounding up feckless poverty-stricken competition to undermine you. "Those people" don't know how to build a competent, civilized economy, and they cannot be allowed to undermine the hard-working men who support their families in a society that does function.

If you think about it that way, it probably seems obvious to reject the liberal (in the old, British sense) effort to globalize the economy and to reach from our confidence and our competence to solve those big, nebulous problems that are not personal or family problems. Confidence sounds great if you have tenure. Regular guys have real problems to deal with.

Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:42 am
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 269 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next