• In total there are 25 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 25 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

Is Black Lives Matter movement based in fact? Sam Harris podcast . . .

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Is Black Lives Matter movement based in fact? Sam Harris podcast . . .

Unread post

I just listened to Sam Harris' podcast about recent protests over George Floyd's death and the BLM movement in general. I have to say he challenged many of my own preconceived notions about what the movement means—especially my perception that police brutality against blacks has reached epidemic proportions. Sam Harris is an excellent thinker and will likely challenge your beliefs, whether you're coming from the left or the right.

I highly recommend listening to the podcast, though it's pretty long and you'll have to subscribe to listen to the full version. If money is an issue, there's a way to subscribe for free.

https://samharris.org/subscriber-extras ... ack-brink/

Also a nod to Dexter, who mentioned Sam Harris' podcast in an earlier thread.

https://www.booktalk.org/post171034.htm ... is#p171034
-Geo
Question everything
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Is Black Lives Matter movement based in fact? Sam Harris podcast . . .

Unread post

I had forgotten to check in on Harris about all this.

I don't agree with Harris on all things of course but some of his political views are spot on, IMO.

Thanks for posting this. I will be sure to give it a listen.
Last edited by ant on Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

I wouldn't mind paying for podcasts if the cost is reasonable and there's no advertising. Harris is good at challenging thinking. I'm curious whether he believes BLM isn't based on reason solely because police violence against blacks doesn't constitute a true epidemic. There could still be a good justification for that movement. I'll just have to listen to find out where he's coming from.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote:I wouldn't mind paying for podcasts if the cost is reasonable and there's no advertising. Harris is good at challenging thinking. I'm curious whether he believes BLM isn't based on reason solely because police violence against blacks doesn't constitute a true epidemic. There could still be a good justification for that movement. I'll just have to listen to find out where he's coming from.
The title of this thread doesn't really summarize the podcast very well. Harris is very careful to say that George Floyd's death and others are horrific events and that reform of police departments is definitely a priority. He never says that the BLM movement isn't justified, only that there are some highly irrational aspects. For example, the move to defund the police is highly irrational and the looting and violence only diminishes the possibilities for meaningful change. He says there's definitely systemic racism in our country and provides several examples of it. But if I understand Harris correctly, as far police arrests and shootings, the data doesn't really point to racism. We have a lot of cops who simply aren't adequately trained for the job. Video clips of police brutality against blacks are highly publicized, but don't represent the norm. Above all, the picture of race is complicated.

These are only a few of Harris' points. The podcast is more than 90 minutes long and well worth the time, in my opinion. Harris is really an exceptional speaker.
-Geo
Question everything

Return to “Current Events & History”