• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Why isn't Joe Biden holding press conferences?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Why are the Democrats OK with this bunker strategy?

Today I was on the phone with a close friend who is also a diehard Republican. He kept talking about how the Democrats are keeping Biden in hiding purposely because he is likely to stumble over himself if allowed to actually interact with the press. I do see Biden as having either the beginning stages of dementia or he's just a bit scatter-brained.

What are your thoughts? Try to present your opinion as logically and free from emotion as possible. I'm an Independent and I see massive pros and cons to both Biden and Trump. I'm not asking these questions to stir up a debate. I'd genuinely like to know why Biden is doing this and if he plans to try to win the presidency by simply not being Donald Trump.

What does Biden offer other than not being Trump?
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Re: Why isn't Joe Biden holding press conferences?

Unread post

I too am an independent

If Biden wasn't suffering from obvious signs of senility, dementia or both, I might be able to vote for "racist light" rather than cast a protest vote. But even that would weigh heavily on my conscious.

I don't know what Biden offers other than business as usual, which democrats seem fine with:

It's okay for democrats to mass deport (The Deporter in Chief Obama)

It's okay for democrats to fight oversees wars (we were at war the whole time under the democrats for 8 years)

It's okay for democrats to speak about equality but do nothing about it (systemic racism was still a problem under the democrats for 8 years)

It's okay for democrats to be inhuman and build cages to hold immigrants in detention

It's okay for the democrats to kill innocent people with countless drone strikes

And as far as the latino community goes, Biden has literally done nothing to appeal to their voting power.
He has virtually ignored the community his entire career.

I can't vote for a relic that no longer cognitively exists in the present.
Murmur
Internet Sage

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:Why isn't Joe Biden holding press conferences?
His speech is ridiculously scattershot. Moreso than Trump or GW Bush. He also makes up a lot of stuff on the spot, which generally doesn't help people. It frequently doesn't hurt though, if you use Biden's own history as an example. And Trump makes up shit on the spot extremely frequently, and it doesn't seem to have hurt him.
. . . the Democrats are keeping Biden in hiding purposely because he is likely to stumble over himself if allowed to actually interact with the press. I do see Biden as having either the beginning stages of dementia or he's just a bit scatter-brained.
I agree.
What does Biden offer other than not being Trump?
Being not Trump is his strongest asset, by far.

Other than that:

He seems less evil than Trump. He seems much less petty than Trump. I strongly suspect he'll be much less likely to make obviously hypocritical, obviously stupid statements than Trump. "Study the world!" comes to mind, which Trump tweeted. Trump is famously incurious about history and the world, so telling other people to study the world is so stupid that it's an insult to humanity. Basically, what I'm saying, is that Biden himself will almost certainly be far less imbecilic than Trump.

I think that what I wrote above won't be enough.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:Why are the Democrats OK with this bunker strategy?
Why should Biden step into the spotlight when, by staying out of it, his poll numbers are fast increasing. All he has to do is stand aside and let Trump continue to make headlines over A) criminally negligent response to the coronavirus and B) say stupid things that try to divide America. Unfortunately, with Donald Trump as our president, Biden's bunker strategy is proving very effective. Trump’s approval ratings are the lowest in his presidency (and the lowest of any president since these kinds of polls were started).

We all know that the POTUS and the front-runner candidate are under intense scrutiny by the media. Isn’t it somewhat refreshing to see someone who knows when to talk and when to shut up?

Biden is certainly prone to verbal gaffes and these are held up as evidence of dementia or whatever. If you’re worried about Biden’s cognitive decline, maybe just wait and for the three scheduled debates with Trump and see how he does?

Meanwhile, Biden sounds very coherent in this CNN interview that aired in March.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/202 ... sr-vpx.cnn

I just don't completely trust the narrative that Biden is in the beginning stages of dementia. It's true that he’s not at the prime of life and he often talks faster than his brain can think. But rest assured we’ll get a good, long look at him in at least three debates with Trump. May the best man win.

EDIT: Apparently Biden is not completely sequestered. Here's an interview from three days ago:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=jo ... &FORM=VIRE
-Geo
Question everything
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Why should Joe Biden step into the spotlight?

Uh, maybe because he's running for leadership of the highest office in the land and lots of people might want to hear from him how he intends to lead?
(absurd to think a politician running for president is running a good campaign by secluding himself as much as he can)

I don't see any good reasons given as to why Biden in his dilapidated state and with his sexual assault history would make a good president.
You know why? Because there aren't any good reasons why he'd make a good choice other than the same old "Trump is bad" talk.

If anyone wants to question Biden's mental fitness or political record an immediate strawman is created. And from that, the Trump bashing begins, with no serious conversation about Biden ever taking place.

But the above might all be beside the point.
A good question here is why are people okay with how the democrats manipulated their primaries to get Biden in his current position in the first place?

Unbelievable
LevV

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental
Canada

Unread post

geo wrote:Biden is certainly prone to verbal gaffes and these are held up as evidence of dementia or whatever. If you’re worried about Biden’s cognitive decline, maybe just wait and for the three scheduled debates with Trump and see how he does?
Some may feel it's not necessary to wait for the debates to make a decision on who is the clearest thinking candidate.
The example below is only one of dozens of examples of Trump's muddled thinking one could find with very little effort.

In "Rolling Stone" June 6, 2020, MSNBC’s Chris Hayes quoted a recent radio interview where President Trump was a phone-in guest on a show hosted by Fox News’ Brian Kilmeade.

Here is the question and Trump's response.

Kilmeade: This is the one stat I’m going to bring you to, and I’m going to ask you if could attack this.
According to a Axios-Ipsos poll, 70 percent of white Americans say they trust the local police. Only 36 percent of African Americans do. How do you attack that problem? How do you change things?

Trump: Well I think it’s a very sad problem. As you know, as a Republican I’m doing very well with African Americans and with the vote with the — in polls and everything — especially, I mean, I haven’t seen one very recently because you had the plague come in from China.
So that changed things up, but we had the best economy ever. We had the best numbers for African-American on employment and unemployment in history. Best homeownership — best everything. We had the best numbers in everything — not only African-American, but the African-American numbers were great.

Kilmeade: How do you handle the law enforcement part?

Trump: Well, I think you have to get better.

Kilmeade: How do you handle the law enforcement part of this?
Trump: They have to get better than what they’ve been doing. I mean obviously that was a terrible thing. And I’ve spoken about it numerous times in various speeches. And what’s interesting is I spoke about it when we launched a very successful rocket — a tremendous program that culminated on that day and obviously it goes on from there.
But I then made a speech and it was a speech about the rocket, and I devoted 25 percent of the speech probably to what happened — or more — to what happened with respect to George — George Floyd, and it was — and then you listen to this, he doesn’t talk about George Floyd. The rocket went off, I then I made a speech, and I talked about George Floyd, but they said he didn’t talk about George Floyd.
Half — maybe even almost half of the speech, but a large portion of the speech was devoted exactly to that. And so, you know, with — with the media you basically — and basically no matter what you do, it’s never going to be good enough. But the people understand it.
Kilmeade: Right.
Trump: And that’s one of the beauties of social media. I mean, I would love not to even bother with social media, but I’m able to get my word out beautifully by social media, fortunately. You use social media too.

Kilmeade: Right.

Is any additional comment necessary?
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:Why should Joe Biden step into the spotlight?

Uh, maybe because he's running for leadership of the highest office in the land and lots of people might want to hear from him how he intends to lead?
(absurd to think a politician running for president is running a good campaign by secluding himself as much as he can)
Um, you do remember the debates we've already had, right? Biden is now the presumptive Democratic nominee and we already have a pretty good sense of how he's going to run the country. if you don't, you haven't been paying attention.
ant wrote: I don't see any good reasons given as to why Biden in his dilapidated state and with his sexual assault history would make a good president.
You know why? Because there aren't any good reasons why he'd make a good choice other than the same old "Trump is bad" talk.

If anyone wants to question Biden's mental fitness or political record an immediate strawman is created. And from that, the Trump bashing begins, with no serious conversation about Biden ever taking place.
Please tell me where I created a strawman. I just don't see it. What I said is that we will see televised debates between Trump and Biden and how better to see how senile Biden has become.
-Geo
Question everything
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Uh, that was THEN, Geo. This is NOW.. Don't join him by living in the past, my friend..
He needs to get his blithering body out more if he's wants to be viewed as anything more than an unplugged robot.

Re: strawman comment- not you..generally speaking.

Edited:

Btw, the primaries were a rigged farce..
He could have vacationed on the moon the entire time and still won the nomination..

I've already called into question why that entire show seems to be okay with the democrats and their voters.
Last edited by ant on Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

The 2016 election Had two polarizing candidates, HRC and (gulp, swallowing a little vomit) :) Trump.

In 2020 there is only one polarizing candidate, PSfB :P .

Why should Biden have more press conferences?

It’s not even a given that Biden would garner the coverage that PSfB was afforded throughout his early campaign.

IMO Biden’s first job is to just win in 2020 what ever the cost, Secondly he must introduce the next generation of U.S. leaders. He is vetting those people now. For me, For now, No news is good news. I say good for Biden.

As Geo points out, there are three debates scheduled with a little more than 4 months till November, there will be plenty of opportunities to hear from “Super Joe”. :clap:
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

I've seen a lot of Biden and Trump talking recently. Both stumble over words from time to time, which makes for a great clip reel. But we all stumble over words. The more you talk in public, the likelier you'll have an extended period of stumbling over words.

I watched a speech from Trump that was 30 minutes long that I had to rewind a few times to catch any semblance of train of thought. Not just the words, but the reasoning behind the words. It was insane.

I've also watched 17 minute reels of clips of Biden stumbling over words, and it felt different. His tongue didn't match his thoughts, but at least there were thoughts behind the voice. Not true of Trump. And these were clips stitched together.

I watched another video that was longer. Was it an off day? Maybe. How many hundreds of "off" days to we allow for Trump?

If you think propaganda isn't real, go to google.com, and search "Is Biden Senile". The entire window displays the result "Biden Is Senile", and they're all ads. How much money is behind Billionaires like Trump? How much do they have to gain if Republicans dismantle our government?

Meanwhile, we're up here in Michigan struggling to open businesses because of all the regulation and red tape we have to fight through. It would be nice to be a billionaire to hire someone to fight through all that red tape. The game is rigged by the ultra rich like Trump. Why are they not pushing back against the regulations that hurt small town business owners? Why are they instead pushing back against regulations that hurt large corporations? They can survive with regulation. Small businesses cannot.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams

Return to “Current Events & History”