• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Police reform and systemic racism under Obama

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Police reform and systemic racism under Obama

Unread post

Geo wrote:
I don’t think we can have an apples-to-apples objective comparison of Obama versus Trump

You are creating a strawman again to answer a very direct question, Geo. You have turned arguments of fallacy into unsophisticated tactics to avoid having to answer questions that you seemingly want to defend but can't.

I have not asked for any comparisons to be made either.

Here's what I asked:
if any legislative reform related to police misconduct was effectuated under the Obama Administration's 8 years of leadership.
You are dancing around the question like Fred Astaire.

So the answer to my question is no - NO legislative reform was done in 8 years under Obama, Joe, and the Democrats.
And despite having control of both The House and The Senate from about January 2009 to November 2010 nothing was done as well.
Is that correct?

If police brutality is the serious issue that it is, why didn't the Democrats take it seriously enough in the 8 years prior to Trump?
Was 8 years not enough time? Why no legislation to address it then?

Don't strawman the question with accusations of strawmen. That is getting old now.
LevV

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental
Canada

Unread post

ant wrote:

Quote:
if any legislative reform related to police misconduct was effectuated under the Obama Administration's 8 years of leadership.

You're doing it again - inserting a critical word that was not there in your original question. Your original question did not have the word "legislative" attached to the word reform. I was simply responding to the question as written - listing a few reforms that were started and noting how they were erased by the current president.

By the way, I also believe that Obama could have done much more when he appeared to have the necessary votes to enact effective legislation. But, to me, a more interesting discussion includes attempting to determine WHY more was not done in the area of police reform, and ant-racism.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

DWill wrote: It was your pugnacious and very sarcastic approach that led to my initial response.
If I was in a family with ant, I would get pretty fed up with the "I never said that" line. It has become clear by now that ant likes to dance up to the line of saying offensive things and then dance away from them when somebody takes the bait. I'm trying to just enjoy watching the dance - it has a certain artistry.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

ant wrote: I am asking if any legislative reform related to police misconduct was effectuated under the Obama Administration's 8 years of leadership.

Do I actually have to spell it out like that?
Does anyone need to be reminded that McConnell vowed not to allow any legislative success to Obama? Anything that was accomplished after the 2010 election reaction against the ACA (which I am learning was as much a response to political manipulation by the billionaires) was entirely due to administrative regulations.

And most of those that mattered have been rolled back by Trump, as LevV's citations observed.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

LevV wrote:
ant wrote:

Quote:

You're doing it again - inserting a critical word that was not there in your original question. Your original question did not have the word "legislative" attached to the word reform. I was simply responding to the question as written - listing a few reforms that were started and noting how they were erased by the current president.

By the way, I also believe that Obama could have done much more when he appeared to have the necessary votes to enact effective legislation. But, to me, a more interesting discussion includes attempting to determine WHY more was not done in the area of police reform, and ant-racism.

You are doing it again only this time after I cleaned up the question even more so that you would not use old talking points that do not include sources that show evidence of documented attempts our actual legislation.

Stop - you are now just here in this conversation to whine.

At the very least I will give you credit for not doing what Harry is doing - pointing the finger at someone else who was responsible for no reform in 8 years of democratic leadership and a full year of owning both the House and the Senate. This is one reason why liberals in our country can not be taken seriously by discerning citizens

Maybe it's time to clean up your own country though..
You have a president that wore black face and thought it was cute, when in actuality it was an offensive play to most black people.

Such is the gross hypocrisy of liberalism. It is old, defunct and impotent in the old minds of those who claim they subscribe to its philosophy.
It is so demonstrated by the lack of leadership seen here in the States.
Last edited by ant on Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Harry Marks wrote:
DWill wrote: It was your pugnacious and very sarcastic approach that led to my initial response.
If I was in a family with ant, I would get pretty fed up with the "I never said that" line. It has become clear by now that ant likes to dance up to the line of saying offensive things and then dance away from them when somebody takes the bait. I'm trying to just enjoy watching the dance - it has a certain artistry.

You should not bring families into this conversation, Harry.

If I was in your family I'd be tired of you claiming to be a Christian of any kind.

You aren't.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

It seems to me that if Obama didn’t sign legislation designed to reform policing than it must not have been important. ( or so I gather from some postings) It seems to me that police reform is important now because liberals just want to make President Shit for Brains look bad. ( or so it seems from some of the postings). Problem for PSfB is that he’s to stupid to recognize that he is doing the libs work for them.

PSfB refuses to address Qualified Immuity or the Public Duty Doctrine. Until he does than he will have accomplished little more than Obama.

Thanks to some bad decisions by me (voting GOP) in the midterms (2010) The Dems lost those majorities and as a result Obama was reduced to Executive Order for policing reform. I’m not proud of it but I’ll not make a voting mistake again. In the meantime there was Obamas “Presidents Task Force on 21st Century Policing.

So..there’s that.

At the time I had an uncanny fear of liberal politics, I’ve since overcome the fears and joined the side of rationalism. I am a proud ant-libertarian.

Return to “Current Events & History”