• In total there are 17 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 17 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Orwellian liberalism

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Orwellian liberalism

Unread post

LanDroid wrote:
You do know there are ways to introduce stuff like this via a civilized forum, right?
BookTalk used to be one, or at least more of one. I'm outta here for a while.

What?

Oh - boo-hoo!! My echo chamber is not echoing properly anymore

What's wrong? Is my opinion that all the recent violence is the result of liberal brainwashing the same as committing violence against those who think it's not?

unbelievable!
Last edited by ant on Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

DWill wrote:Ant, you're too angry about all of this to engage constructively right now. You're becoming abusive.

So when Geo calls my expressions about some of what's been happening in our nation "bullshit" that's not abusive?
That's not an angry tone?
That wasn't too long ago.. Got look it up.
Why didn't you call that abuse?

Go ahead and call for me to be banned. I don't care.
Or now that LanDroid is upset and I hurt his feelings with my political views he can censor me himself. He's a moderator.
To tell you the truth it won't surprise me in the least.
Last edited by ant on Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

As for tearing down--destroying--the statues, if we decry such vandalism, we might think of how we react to pictures of newly liberated people in the former Soviet Union toppling images of Stalin. How many of us point disapproving fingers at that?
Are you comparing the current state of America as being the same as The Soviet Union under Stalin?

That we still nationally honor slavery and did not ever abolish it?

That we should cheer the violence being committed against innocents because we are living in a communist regime?

That we really did not have courts of law, or any lawful justice prior to Floyd?

That we do not have prisons/jails with people who have gone through a judicial processes that although not full proof, is better than anything we have seen in modern history to date, but instead have gulags filled with innocents?

This is not the same "picture"
What an odd thing to say.

Preposterous.s

Here is what Martin Luther King Jr said about violence as a path to justice

Violence as a way of achieving racial justice is both impractical and immoral. I am not unmindful of the fact that violence often brings about momentary results. Nations have frequently won their independence in battle. But in spite of temporary victories, violence never brings permanent peace. It solves no social problem: it merely creates new and more complicated ones. Violence is impractical because it is a descending spiral ending in destruction for all. It is immoral because it seeks to humiliate the opponent rather than win his understanding: it seeks to annihilate rather than convert. Violence is immoral because it thrives on hatred rather than love. It destroys community and makes brotherhood impossible. It leaves society in monologue rather than dialogue. Violence ends up defeating itself. It creates bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers.

Anyone who does not condemn this ongoing violence is complicit.
Last edited by ant on Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Quick - switch up to pander to the liberal mob..

This is what happens when you let the intolerance of the left demand you agree with their communist ideology.

You become a literary performing artist, void of honesty.. on stage to recite the poetry that pleases the intolerant:

(same exact author - 2+ years apart)

Statues help us glimpse into our past, even the ugly bits:

https://www.smh.com.au/opinion/statues- ... y3yo5.html

The toppling of statues is enriching, not erasing history and it has thrilled my heart

https://www.smh.com.au/national/the-top ... 5523r.html
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote: So an issue of police brutality is the time to air brush history?

Stop -- just stop, Geo.
Ant, you're making up a lot of strawmen on this thread.

Most of our Confederate monuments are essentially propaganda anyway. They were erected in the 1910s-1950s during a resurgence of race riots and civil unrest in our country and while some states were expanding Jim Crow laws to disenfranchise black Americans. I don't really see removal of these monuments as "air-brushing" history (nor an egregious offense against humankind).

I agree with what LanDroid posted. There are good arguments on both sides—for taking down the statues because they are symbols of oppression, and for leaving them in place as objects d’history of race relations in our nation.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 584267001/
-Geo
Question everything
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:So when Geo calls my expressions about some of what's been happening in our nation "bullshit" that's not abusive?.
I don't recall what I said, but apologize if I came on too strong.
-Geo
Question everything
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

geo wrote:Most of our Confederate monuments are essentially propaganda anyway. They were erected in the 1910s-1950s during a resurgence of race riots and civil unrest in our country and while some states were expanding Jim Crow laws to disenfranchise black Americans.
So the purpose was to dominate the public square with racist attitudes that gave the finger to federal efforts to promote equality of opportunity.

Leaving such political statues in place serves to endorse the oppressive mentality that erected them.

Statues of explorers and discoverers are different in my view, since they honour a legacy that remains legitimate in the eyes of the mainstream state, despite the dispossession of indigenous people they caused.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

geo wrote:
ant wrote:So when Geo calls my expressions about some of what's been happening in our nation "bullshit" that's not abusive?.
I don't recall what I said, but apologize if I came on too strong.

It's okay, Geo.. No apology necessary. Politics often comes with a lot of heat. I get that.

Thanks
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Chris Cuomo of left wing CNN fame graduated from Yale, has a JD from Fordham U.

He demanded someone show him where it says protests must be peaceful.

I'm not a graduate of Yale, but I too can tell him it says it in The First Amendment
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances
What a hack
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

ant wrote:Chris Cuomo of left wing CNN fame graduated from Yale, has a JD from Fordham U.

He demanded someone show him where it says protests must be peaceful.

I'm not a graduate of Yale, but I too can tell him it says it in The First Amendment
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances
What a hack
Might be that you make good point, but I wish you'd included the clip or transcript of what he said.

Return to “Current Events & History”