• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 756 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:41 am

Nabakov on film and life

#55: Oct. - Nov. 2008 (Fiction)
wildstrawberrynyc
Official Newbie!

Nabakov on film and life

Unread post

I just got through reading Lolita for a second time, searching for something I remembered from my first read. Unless I dreamed it, there is a passage in the book where Nabakov talks about the phenomenon of having seen a movie, and then feeling as if what you had seen were part of your real life. A sort of trick of memory. I have been wanting to reread that passage for years, but my second read of the novel did not turn it up. Does anyone know what I am talking about? Thanks!
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: Nabakov on film and life

Unread post

No, not specifically about that book, but I do want to read it. However I have had several strong deja vu experiences.

Perhaps you'll find something in Book Talk's discussion of this book.
https://www.booktalk.org/lolita-by-vlad ... v-f97.html
wildstrawberrynyc
Official Newbie!

Re: Nabakov on film and life

Unread post

Maybe to try to be more specific about what I remember. Somewhere in the book, I remember H.H. musing on the American phenomenon of taking something that happens in movies, one of the tropes of American life, and remembering it as something that actually happened to you. Or that certain American phenomenon, for example, not finding a seat at the lunch table in high school, are so over-represented in American films, that they have become real-life cliches... Again, I remember this vaguely, but it was something like that. I wonder if I'll now have to read the book for a third time... Perhaps I imagined it. Thanks!

Return to “Lolita - by Vladimir Nabokov”