Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:50 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
173 Declared Democratic Presidential Candidates 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Post Re: 173 Declared Democratic Presidential Candidates
Quote:
So, let's see. Biden voted with the Republicans. What a cruel guy! Better vote Republican, I guess.

Was this meant as some sort of gotcha line?

That actually makes it even worse now that you mention it. Thanks for pointing out the "lose-lose" option we all have.

Better vote for Biden! He votes Republican when there's a chance to stomp on indigent women!

I wonder if Biden in all his senility even remembers this.

Sun May 17, 2020 5:46 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

How deplorable of Pelosi to fat shame anyone, even if it happens to be the president of the us

https://www.salon.com/2020/05/19/nancy- ... dly-obese/

This is another example of favoring or responding to evil with just more evil. I mean, the guy is in his 70s for starters.
Has Pelosi looked in the mirror lately? She looks like an archaeological discovery that's been reanimated.

It doesn't take long for the democrats to show their gross hypocrisy. It's become the party of no principles and no shame.

Someone bring back the JFK democrats.

Tue May 19, 2020 10:57 am
Profile Email
Reading via Osmosis

ant wrote:

It doesn't take long for the democrats to show their gross hypocrisy. It's become the party of no principles and no shame.

So, that would be the ** other ** party of no principles and no shame. Amazing how easy it is to drag others down. Not so easy to build up a durable, resilient system.

Tue May 19, 2020 1:25 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Platinum Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

You really don't see examples of hypocrisy from the people you tend to side with, ant?

Tue May 19, 2020 2:25 pm

Gold Contributor

DWill wrote:
You really don't see examples of hypocrisy from the people you tend to side with, ant?

Independents? - less so than dems and repubs

Tue May 19, 2020 2:56 pm
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

Harry Marks wrote:
ant wrote:

So, that would be the ** other ** party of no principles and no shame. Amazing how easy it is to drag others down. Not so easy to build up a durable, resilient system.

No it's not easy.. I agree.. particularly the moment the left decided that identity politics (inherently self centered with no unifying principles to follow) was the way to go.

Tue May 19, 2020 3:00 pm
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

This is embarrassing and speaks to the essence of where we are at with "journalism" of today.
My guess is that there are a few people (like Harry) that may approve and see this as timely and much needed reporting.

Joe Biden - Sex Symbol

https://www.politico.com/story/2012/10/ ... ack-081912

Quote:
He’s kissed women on the lips – and the cheek. He pulled a biker chick so close to him at one pit stop that she appeared to be sitting in his lap in photos. And he’s talked about the acrobatic acts of cheerleaders in terms that would draw at least a PG-13 rating in Hollywood.

God help us all :?

Tue May 19, 2020 6:46 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Platinum Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

ant wrote:

If I could ask for a simple yes or no from you, do you see why, given recent Republican history, many people (and not just Dems) think your statement applies quite well to Republicans?

The following user would like to thank DWill for this post:
Harry Marks
Tue May 19, 2020 8:54 pm
Reading via Osmosis

A story in today's NY Times calls Tara Reade's credibility into serious question. And that is what happens to women who come forward with stories of sexual abuse. I believe Reade anyway, and the story certainly lays out ambiguous aspects of her behavior, aspects which may explain her questionable issues.

But the big question on my mind is why women come forward with these stories, as Anita Hill did, only after the person is put forward for high office. Trying to put myself in her place, I conclude that it is because someone will finally pay attention. I know that some of those surrounding Christine Blasey Ford's accusations were lying to get attention (or at least one was) and fit the common accusation that they just wanted to take down a figure of power, but that doesn't seem to fit either Tara Reade or Monica Lewinsky (or several other of Clinton's accusers). Why would they want their story of having been abused to get attention? Because male power, and the presumption of male innocence captured by the phrase "he said, she said" is a poison in society. Men whom I have admired greatly have turned out to be abusers, and I find it really sobering that somehow it made more sense to them to act out their sexual aggression than to go get help for what was obviously a problem.

This is a problem in our society. I don't think the answer is mainly better accountability through #MeToo and the press, I think it is mediation and reconciliation. Let Harvey Weinstein sit in conference with the women he abused and hear how it damaged their lives. Now that he has experienced some vulnerability himself, maybe he could begin to understand their vulnerability. For that matter, let him hear how the assistants who cooperated with his abuse felt mangled and spindled by his using them that way. Power is an intoxication that the powerful have huge trouble recognizing as a problem. After all, if it solves so many of their problems (now try that phrase for the "problems" of Harvey Weinstein) how could it be anything but a good thing? It is a narcotic. The opiate of the 1%.

The following user would like to thank Harry Marks for this post:
ant
Fri May 22, 2020 9:28 am
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

Today's Biden sticks his foot in his mouth:

Quote:
“If you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump — then you ain’t black!”

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ry ... kfast-club

Why is this old white man telling black people a vote not cast for him takes away their black identity?

The following user would like to thank ant for this post:
Harry Marks
Fri May 22, 2020 10:21 am
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

Biden has no regard for the latino community and does not include them as part of his plan for a White House victory.
He has never had an honest conversation with latino leaders about his connection with Obama's aggressive immigration policies (and cage building).

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-campaign-d ... 56489.html

Fri May 22, 2020 10:39 am
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

ant wrote:
Today's Biden sticks his foot in his mouth:

Quote:
“If you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump — then you ain’t black!”

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ry ... kfast-club

Why is this old white man telling black people a vote not cast for him takes away their black identity?

Biden has issued and apology to the black community saying he "shouldn't have been so cavalier"

For those of you who might not know the definition of cavalier, here it is:

Quote:
: marked by or given to offhand and often disdainful (see DISDAIN entry 1) dismissal of important matters

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cavalier

Imagine that - an old white man being disdainful towards black people... what an anomaly! what a surprise!

So the best the party of diversity can do is give us another old antiquated cavalier white man as a candidate for president of the US?

Okay

Fri May 22, 2020 3:18 pm
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

Who exactly is voting for this old racist?

"you can't go to 7-Eleven or Dunkin Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent"

I'll say it again: this is beyond hypocrisy.. this is a serious lack of moral principles.

Notice how none of his defenders here can even think of anything to say in his favor except "Bad Trump.. BAD!!"

How utterly shallow

Last edited by ant on Sat May 23, 2020 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat May 23, 2020 3:57 pm
Profile Email
Reading via Osmosis

ant wrote:
I'll say it again: this is beyond hypocrisy.. this is a serious lack of moral principles.

Notice how none of his defenders here can even think of anything to say in his favor except "Bad Trump.. BAD!!"

How utterly shallow

Well, no, I have mentioned that he promoted the Violence Against Women Act, and evidently not only worked hard to craft a bill that would pass, but also reached across the aisle to cooperate with Republicans. Biden broke the logjam on gay marriage, bringing the rest of the Administration and the leadership of the Democratic Party with him. He did long, difficult hours putting together the implementation of the economic rescue package in the early years of the Obama administration. His work on the Judiciary Committee in Congress meant a lot of gradual progress and honorable process, even if the thing he is remembered for most on the left was quashing Anita Hill and the objections to Clarence Thomas.

I like Joe Biden. His personality makes it easy to believe that others will work with him. His overcoming a stutter is an inspiring story. His speech after the South Carolina primary, linking the forgiveness after Dylann Roof's massacre with his own healing from family tragedy, and the help he got from the black church, was one of the best speeches I have seen. It did not reach the heights of rhetoric that Obama managed, but it was human connection at a level you don't see in politics. He also has a gift for saying things that alienate someone or undermine trust, but with American politics the way it is, that is not easy to avoid. Bill Clinton did it deliberately, with Sistah Souljah, knowing that he would not be publicly denounced because she was too extreme for anyone to stand behind.

The only people who believe that Biden had corrupt intent in ridding Ukraine of their corrupt prosecutor are motivated reasoners, ready to believe in a conspiracy because "theirs is as bad as ours."

I'm all about "Bad Trump" but that doesn't stop me from thinking Biden has a lot of good to him. My position has, instead, been that I would like to see the accusation by Tara Reade vetted on its own, and IMO lead to Biden's disqualification, but under the circumstances that is not going to happen. So I live with the mess.

The following user would like to thank Harry Marks for this post:
DWill
Sun May 24, 2020 8:26 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

ant wrote:
. . . I'll say it again: this is beyond hypocrisy.. this is a serious lack of moral principles.

How utterly shallow

I completely disagree with your interpretations of Biden's words. He's from an older generation that is perhaps not perfectly in sync with the current zeitgeist of gender, racial, and ethnic justice. He certainly comes with some baggage from the past, which hurts him in the eyes of younger voters. And, yet, he has since apologized for his "you ain't black" comment.

Quote:
"I shouldn't have been so cavalier in responding," he said during a phone call with the U.S. Black Chamber of Commerce Friday afternoon. "No one should have to vote for any party, based on their race or religion or background," Biden said.

At another point on the call, Biden admitted, "I know that the comments have come off like I was taking the African American folks for granted ... but nothing could be further from the truth."

Frankly, I don't feel compelled to come to Biden's defense. Ant's pretense of moral outrage is laughable.

Biden may be prone to verbal gaffes, but he's human and real enough to apologize. He's not perfect, but compared to Donald Trump he's a breath of fresh air. Have we ever heard Trump apologize for anything? I can easily list hundreds of offensive and stupid comments for which he has not apologized. Usually he just double-downs, which some of his supporters see as a sign of strength. As I have already said, to focus entirely on Biden's occasional gaffe, while ignoring Trump's continuous barrage of stupidity is sheer hypocrisy.

The following user would like to thank geo for this post:
DWill, Harry Marks
Sun May 24, 2020 10:03 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next