• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

The Art of "short"

A dedicated forum for discussing and celebrating your favorite short stories and short story authors.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
LeonStevens
Getting Comfortable

The Art of "short"

Unread post

I grew up reading short sci-fi stories, which is what I am writing at the moment. When I write stories, they tend to come to a conclusion sooner rather then later. There seems to be a natural length to my writing. My longest is 4000 words and my shortest is 107. There is a challenge to conveying your vision to the reader in such few words. The short stories that I enjoyed usually had a bit of a twist or an ending that left you saying "Ohhh."

I posted the first chapter of my newest on my website, here is the first paragraph to pique curiosity:

CHAPTER 1: The Ridge

The hand-written note on the dashboard read: Not abandoned. This was a nice courtesy to others, but unnecessary since the car was parked in the parking lot at the head of a popular hiking trail, called "The Ridge". My curiosity piqued, I studied the vehicle, looking for what I don't know. It was a little dusty, probably from the dirt road, not the kind of dust that accumulates after several rains and drying winds, which we had recently. Two, three days ago? I wasn't sure but it had to be at least two. I reluctantly put off my hike to avoid any rain. I usually don't mind hiking in inclement weather, it keeps the other hikers away, but "The Ridge" is notorious for looking like a muddy river on days like that.

https://www.linesbyleon.com/
ZTrekus
Getting Comfortable

Re: The Art of "short"

Unread post

Funny that you should mention that genre.

I have just published a book that fits that very description. I commend that book to you.

https://www.booktalk.org/spellbound-the ... 31073.html
LeonStevens
Getting Comfortable

Re: The Art of "short"

Unread post

I'll check it out.

Here are a few other discussion topics? How short can short be? What is the best shortest story you have read?

Return to “Short Story Discussions”