• In total there are 18 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 18 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

The Coup against Donald Trump

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Re: The Coup against Donald Trump

Unread post

ant wrote:
geo wrote: Is sensationalism or simply sloppy reporting a left wing trait?
I think in this case sensationalism isn't the right word and "sloppy reporting" at this level of journalism is better left for high school journalism clubs run by adolescents who likely have better editors QC'ing the legitimacy of their publications to the student body.

My god.
I used to be a reporter for a daily newspaper. I remember once during "pasteup" seeing a glaring typo on one of the front page headlines. And the editor didn't want to mess with it at first because it was was right on deadline. It was 10 p.m. and everyone wanted to go home. I can easily imagine a similar deadline for the people putting together that news segment on CBS. They needed a graphic to go with the story and someone came up with the clip from an Italian hospital. It might have been an underling making a mistake or just not knowing better or an editor being off that day or a thousand other reasons. Indeed, I'm sure those kinds of errors happen all the time in the news business, and the vast majority of them are not part of a left wing conspiracy. Bias happens all the time, but so does being in a hurry and making mistakes, all aspects of being human.
-Geo
Question everything
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

geo wrote:
ant wrote:
geo wrote: Is sensationalism or simply sloppy reporting a left wing trait?
I think in this case sensationalism isn't the right word and "sloppy reporting" at this level of journalism is better left for high school journalism clubs run by adolescents who likely have better editors QC'ing the legitimacy of their publications to the student body.

My god.
I used to be a reporter for a daily newspaper. I remember once during "pasteup" seeing a glaring typo on one of the front page headlines. And the editor didn't want to mess with it at first because it was was right on deadline. It was 10 p.m. and everyone wanted to go home. I can easily imagine a similar deadline for the people putting together that news segment on CBS. They needed a graphic to go with the story and someone came up with the clip from an Italian hospital. It might have been an underling making a mistake or just not knowing better or an editor being off that day or a thousand other reasons. Indeed, I'm sure those kinds of errors happen all the time in the news business, and the vast majority of them are not part of a left wing conspiracy. Bias happens all the time, but so does being in a hurry and making mistakes, all aspects of being human.

Sorry - but that was then and this is now.

Photo metadata is such an elementary check prior to using it. It literally takes two seconds to verify its context.

I mean, this isn't a piece that's going out to the local neighborhood or school. We're talking about global distribution here.

If this is simply deadline oversight then a lot of the staff over at CBS are a bunch of dunsels that need a different career.

I understand why its important to defend them though.
Joe Biden is counting on this pandemic narrative.. It's only natural his supporters would find a way to make anything stick.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote: . . . I understand why its important to defend them though.
Joe Biden is counting on this pandemic narrative.. It's only natural his supporters would find a way to make anything stick.
What I actually said was that human error very likely contributed to the use of a video clip of an Italian hospital in that news report. Worst case scenario, the news station is guilty of sensationalizing news. Without a single shred of evidence, you allege that the TV station was "caught" pushing a liberal narrative.

So, yes, there does seem to be a false narrative, and it's all coming from you.
-Geo
Question everything
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Based on the liberal media's constant fear mongering, finger pointing, and biased reporting, I stand by my speculative claim as strongly as your speculation that this is just either error or sensationalism.

Frankly, sensationalizing this beyond what it already has been is nearly just as bad as intentional subterfuge.. It is irresponsible and dangerous.

If it is indeed "error" then it is a very, very dumb error for reasons I've previously stated.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

So this was all just an "error"
CBS News acknowledged the error. A spokesperson said, “It was an editing mistake. We took immediate steps to remove it from all platforms and shows.”
and yet.,
A week later, however, CBS News apparently used a very brief bit of that Italian footage again while referencing coronavirus cases in Pennsylvania

Third time is a charm, I'm guess.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

PSfB does not need CBS news to make him look bad. PSfB is a libertarian fool who has single-handedly dragged the USA into an economic mess. PSfB and his like minded creeps in Congress have loaded the courts with willfully anachronistic jurists, that have enabled his wildest liaises-faire fantasies to become reality. PSfB is a putrid curse placed on the world by a bunch of thoughtless Social-Darwinist who are perfectly comfortable farting in close quarters. PSfB is tottering on his heels, recent polling proves as much. PSfB is a failure of leadership: unless you are some of what I have described, then PSfB is an ideal leader. ( I just vomited a little, “ideal leader”...my sweaty ass PSfB’s an ideal leader.) . PSfB and his standard bearers are dumb, obtuse, self-absorbed, deniers of who they truly are, they are liars with regards to who/what they want to be. PSfB’s and his supporters disdain paying taxes. Libertarians disdain paying taxes as well. Libertarians have shit for brains. Libertarians are going to destroy the world. Libertarians are monstrous cash and fear mongers who’s only desires is chaos. PSfB is a chaotic leader, ideal for the chaos of libertarians who are incapable of proving a thing. I find it interesting that these Social- Darwinist’s deny the full scope of Neo-Darwin evolution but invest their all into crushing the world via those exact same principles. Coup against PSfB? What a delusion!. PSfB is leading a coup against thinking, a true crime against humanity.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:Based on the liberal media's constant fear mongering, finger pointing, and biased reporting, I stand by my speculative claim as strongly as your speculation that this is just either error or sensationalism.
I'm inundated with right wing fear mongering. Fear the media, fear the government shutting things down to remove our liberties, fear 5g towers, fear Bill Gates, fear China, etc. It's a hurricane of fear, all misdirected. Trumps inept preparedness? Point the finger at China for not alerting us and Obama for not preparing us. Point the finger at the impeachment for distracting him. When all else fails, pretend it's all a hoax. Then point the finger at Democratic governors for locking us down. Point the finger at the left wing media for reporting that hospitals are full because even though they're full, they used the wrong picture. Therefore the virus is the hoax and OMG they used the wrong picture even though the words were accurate. Shame on you for feeding into this misinformation echo chamber.

This is a long read, but read it anyways:
https://waitbutwhy.com/2020/01/sick-giant.html

It's not merely a problem of echo chambers. It's that one of the echo chambers is busting at the seams with conspiracy theories. I can't even talk to any of my Conservative friends without them mentioning that Covid is a conspiracy, either from a Wuhan lab or Bill gates or 5G towers, etc.

It's absolutely incredible. It's ripping apart relationships in my hometown.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:So this was all just an "error"
A week later, however, CBS News apparently used a very brief bit of that Italian footage again while referencing coronavirus cases in Pennsylvania
What else would it be? Even if CBS was intentionally trying to promote hysteria, it wouldn't want to be "caught" using phony video footage twice, would it? The right-wing narrative doesn't make sense.

Incidentally, the false footage was aired Apr. 1, which was the same day New York City experienced its highest number of coronavirus hospitalizations. So though the Italian hospital footage was misleading, it still doesn't change the basic facts of the story: that NYC was the epicenter of the coronavirus and that hospitals were overwhelmed.

I'm not defending CBS News by the way. I already think most televised news is pathetic. But so are right-wing narratives that see this as a liberal conspiracy. Sorry, it's all crap. Some of it is intentionally dishonest, while other sources are just superficial and/or sensationalistic.
-Geo
Question everything
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

Interbane wrote: It's not merely a problem of echo chambers. It's that one of the echo chambers is busting at the seams with conspiracy theories. I can't even talk to any of my Conservative friends without them mentioning that Covid is a conspiracy, either from a Wuhan lab or Bill gates or 5G towers, etc.
One of my in-laws sincerely believes that Michelle Obama is actually a man. This is a story that was promoted on several extreme far-right sites. My in-law saw video footage purportedly showing a bulge in her pants and that was that. It's easy enough to see some major flaws in the theory, but there's no burden of proof for those who want a conspiracy to be true.

Google "Michelle Obama is a man" and you will come up with a shocking number of sites promoting this story, none of them remotely credible of course. I'm' surprised KindaSkolarly hasn't brought this one up. Or maybe he has?
-Geo
Question everything
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

geo wrote: there's no burden of proof for those who want a conspiracy to be true.
Proof? What's that?

We have been warned. This stuff is going to get bigger and crazier and more divisive as the campaign goes along. We have billionaire dark money hard at work trying to convince everyone who doesn't trust someone that they can't trust anybody (so the blackmail of Ukraine is just one more, for example). Maybe they think if the whole thing burns down they will be left Lords of the Ashes? And Putin, leader of the Oligarchy Party, will own the oil, and since there is no such thing as an institution that acts in the public interest, you might as well stay on his good side.
geo wrote:Google "Michelle Obama is a man" and you will come up with a shocking number of sites promoting this story, none of them remotely credible of course. I'm' surprised KindaSkolarly hasn't brought this one up. Or maybe he has?
he? he? KS is a trans woman. I learned this from Alic Jones, who is not afraid to tell the truth.

Return to “Current Events & History”