• In total there are 12 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 12 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Coronavirus

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Re: Coronavirus

Unread post

Every event has an infinite number of causes, so why pick one over another?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oSJdSL8YOE
-Geo
Question everything
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

geo wrote:Just how and when did Bill Gates become the new Boogie Monster (or George Soros if you'd rather)?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/17/tech ... Position=1
I was going to put up the same article as a link. Here are some bits I found interesting.
NY Times wrote:Bill Gates, at Odds With Trump on Virus, Becomes a Right-Wing Target

Anti-vaccinators, members of the conspiracy group QAnon and right-wing pundits have instead seized on the video as evidence that one of the world’s richest men planned to use a pandemic to wrest control of the global health system.

In posts on YouTube, Facebook and Twitter, he is being falsely portrayed as the creator of Covid-19, as a profiteer from a virus vaccine, and as part of a dastardly plot to use the illness to cull or surveil the global population.

The wild claims have gained traction with conservative pundits like Laura Ingraham and anti-vaccinators such as Robert F. Kennedy Jr. as Mr. Gates has emerged as a vocal counterweight to President Trump on the coronavirus. For weeks, Mr. Gates has appeared on TV, on op-ed pages and in Reddit forums calling for stay-at-home policies, expanded testing and vaccine development. And without naming Mr. Trump, he has criticized the president’s policies, including this week’s move to cut funding to the World Health Organization.

Misinformation about Mr. Gates is now the most widespread of all coronavirus falsehoods tracked by Zignal Labs, a media analysis company.

That makes Mr. Gates the latest individual — along with Dr. Anthony Fauci, the leading U.S. infectious disease expert — to be ensnared in the flow of right-wing punditry that has denigrated those who appear at odds with Mr. Trump on the virus.

“Bill Gates is easily transformed into a health-related meme and figure because he’s so well known,” said Whitney Phillips, an assistant professor at Syracuse University who teaches digital ethics.
The paranoid mind overlaps heavily with the narcissistic mind. The narcissist, who reacts to everything in terms of whether it threatens them, naturally enlists paranoia to sniff out any hint of enemies, plots, secret cabals, controlling elites, etc. They can't help alienating ordinary people (though there are people who are attracted to that sort of thing). The electoral question is how many people will be activated by the wonderful prospect of finally having a Dear Leader who endorses such crazy fantasies versus how many people have had more than enough of it.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

LanDroid wrote:
President Trump wrote:China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!
1/24/2020
One of many times Trump has praised China for Covid-19 efforts.
It's that kind of feckless act that makes it almost impossible for Trump to show his ballyhooed toughness toward China for its terrible handling of the outbreak. There probably is cause for demands for China to offer compensation, especially to Africa, which will fall further behind in its efforts to reduce poverty. Instead of confronting China, Trump picks on the WHO. Granted the WHO may have problems with kowtowing to dictators like Xi and Al Asad, but saying that only reminds us of Trump's own deference toward strongmen.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Harry Marks wrote:The paranoid mind overlaps heavily with the narcissistic mind. The narcissist, who reacts to everything in terms of whether it threatens them, naturally enlists paranoia to sniff out any hint of enemies, plots, secret cabals, controlling elites, etc..
I hate to be the kind of person who is constantly shocked and dismayed by our president's behaviour. But today, Trump is tweeting LIBERATE (all caps) in states where people are protesting virus restrictions. So the enemy now is now . . . um . . . us. Need to have someone to blame for this shitstorm.
-Geo
Question everything
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Many if not all of you are busy playing the political finger pointing game and politicizing a pandemic of which both its origin and time stamp continues to remain nebulous at best. No doubt there is enough blame to make it around the table but it simply cannot fall on one single person's plate.
Stop being shallow and cheap with this GLOBAL EVENT. Stop being cheap opportunists just to shine your liberal colors. It's getting old.

The situation continues to remain very fluid with new data becoming available every day.

This new finding is very interesting and needs to be investigated deeply:

146 POSITIVE CASES
100 % ZERO SYMPTOMS

What the actual F***?!

https://www.boston25news.com/news/cdc-r ... RBO4YWO64/
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I understand some of what you're saying, ant. I complained that PBS reporters seemed to be trying to get governors to amplify disagreements they had with Trump. There seemed little constructive point to this. At the same time, it's important to try to determine how government agencies, including each branch of the federal govt., responded to the crisis. Although a commission comprising nonpartisan experts is something we should have after the crisis has passed, we also need to have the contemporaneous reporting, even if it bruises political egos. A lot of information would be lost if the media stood down for the sake of not making waves.
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

DWill wrote:I understand some of what you're saying, ant.
That makes you officially the only one.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

ant wrote:Many if not all of you are busy playing the political finger pointing game and politicizing a pandemic of which both its origin and time stamp continues to remain nebulous at best. No doubt there is enough blame to make it around the table but it simply cannot fall on one single person's plate.
Stop being shallow and cheap with this GLOBAL EVENT.
ant wrote:China's six days of failure to warn the world of a likely pandemic
ant wrote:I'm guessing there are some people who think it's not likely COVID 19 actually started spreading much earlier than what China (and the WHO) claim, mostly because communist controlled countries are honest and transparent compared to countries with men in charge like Trump.

Umm, what's wrong with this picture?
ant wrote:Stop being cheap opportunists just to shine your liberal colors. It's getting old.

Because we don't like fingerpointing, we will accuse people of virtue signaling, rather than being honestly perturbed by the bozo doll in Chief?
ant wrote:This new finding is very interesting and needs to be investigated deeply:

I agree this is disturbing, though I have heard other reports with similar indications. This virus is seriously elusive, clearly spreading without symptoms and before symptoms, and clearly being a challenge to test for. It doesn't make a person optimistic for what happens if we open up to public contact again. I would like the press to report on how much opening there has actually been in Korea, Taiwan and for that matter Italy, Spain and other "past the peak" places. Are they able to test effectively and quarantine any outbreaks? I really want to know. If I wait on word from the expertly advised organizations who determine my worklife fate, I may make all the wrong plans before the announcements come out.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Harry wrote:
Umm, what's wrong with this picture?
You tell me Harry while I try to figure out what you're saying by dragging some of my words out of context
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

ant wrote:You tell me Harry
I generally think it is humorous when people complain about other people complaining. Probably just a personal quirk.

And finger-pointing doesn't stop being finger-pointing when it is in context.

Return to “Science & Technology”