Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:52 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Is Poetry fiction or non-fiction? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Official Newbie!

Post Is Poetry fiction or non-fiction?
I love poetry and have been writing it for many years. I am wondering now about the category that poetry fits into. Is it considered fiction or non-fiction? Does it depend on what it's about or is it automatically classified into fiction or non-fiction. Looking forward to your thoughts. Thanks.

The following user would like to thank lovebuglena for this post:
Chris OConnor
Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:12 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I Should Be Bronzed

Silver Contributor

Post Re: Is Poetry fiction or non-fiction?
It can be both. Why not? It's just a writing style, isn't it? There are a couple members on here that are really into poetry that can answer the question much better.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:26 pm
Profile Email YIM
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Official Newbie!

I generally write from personal experiences... so I would assume it's non-fiction... but would a poetry book be considered non-fiction?

Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:36 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I Should Be Bronzed

Silver Contributor

Well, to be honest... I think an epic written in poetic style, if historically accurate, would need to be non-fiction.

But a book of poetry would be classified as poetry... and not non-fiction or fiction...

All this is pure conjecture for conversation. I really have no clue.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Profile Email YIM
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

Poetry isn't either fiction or non-fiction. It doesn't really fit into any of those categories, although certain elements of a poem could be regarded as fictional or historical. For example, a poem could be based on a historical event.

Here's a definition: "literary work in which special intensity is given to the expression of feelings and ideas by the use of distinctive style and rhythm."

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:32 pm
Gaining experience

It depends on if you write

The ages came with fleeting snow,
magic's tides,
and mythril glow.

or

The Titanic sailed the ocean blue,
struck a fate that none had knew
and now we'll miss them all...

it can be either :P

Also my site:
http://www.jeremy-benson.com

Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:20 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Platinum Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

It's just a matter of convention. Prose writing, where the print goes from margin to margin and may continue mid-sentence onto the next page, is classified as fiction or nonfiction (and then further subdivided into genres). Poetry, which takes a special arrangement on the page, also is divided into genres, but I think none of them have to do with whether the content reports real events or not. The root of the matter might be that singing developed into poetry, while storytelling developed into prose.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:20 am
Gaining experience

DWill wrote:
but I think none of them have to do with whether the content reports real events or not. The root of the matter might be that singing developed into poetry, while storytelling developed into prose.

That's a bit off. Content has to do heavily with classification in the sense of the poster's question. We're talking about whether or not it's fiction or non fiction....

In the case of poetry being classified as either fiction on non-fiction content will play a major role...

poetry about unicorns is not going to make it into the non-fiction section if their was such a thing :)

Also my site:

Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:25 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Platinum Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

JeremyBenson wrote:
DWill wrote:
but I think none of them have to do with whether the content reports real events or not. The root of the matter might be that singing developed into poetry, while storytelling developed into prose.

That's a bit off. Content has to do heavily with classification in the sense of the poster's question. We're talking about whether or not it's fiction or non fiction....

In the case of poetry being classified as either fiction on non-fiction content will play a major role...

poetry about unicorns is not going to make it into the non-fiction section if their was such a thing :)

Well, my point is that we just don't see writing labeled as poetry broken down into fiction and nonfiction. It's just not the classification used, and it really wouldn't make much sense. When we tell a story from imagination and we write it down as prose, we call it fiction. If we write the same story arranged in lines or stanzas, we call it poetry. If the story happens to have been "true," we'll call the prose nonfiction, and if for some reason that true story was written in lines or stanzas, we'd still call it poetry (or maybe "verse"). But the latter case is pretty unlikely, since using a poetic approach is going to mean we want to bring out something besides the facts of a case.

So based on that reasoning (?), I think if I had to choose I'd say poetry is fiction.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:29 pm

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

DWill is right. Poetry is poetry. It's not classified as fiction or nonfiction.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:01 pm
Gaining experience

I think it's wrong to say the classification has never been used. I see on poetry sites often that poems are sorted in horror, fantasy, what ever...I'm sure poetry has been classified as either non-fiction and fiction as well...at least somewhere once....generally, maybe not :P

Also my site:

Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:12 pm
Profile Email
Gaining experience

apparently good reads uses the classification non-fiction for poetry :P
http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/nonfiction-poetry

Also my site:

Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:15 pm
Profile Email

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

Poems are classified thematically, sure. But categorizing poetry as fiction or nonfiction doesn't make much sense to me.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:43 pm
Official Newbie!

Poetry isn't either fiction or non-fiction. It doesn't really fit into any of those categories, although certain elements of a poem could be regarded as fictional or historical. For example, a poem could be based on a historical event..

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:11 pm
Profile Email
So Awesome

First of all, does it really matter? :hmm: I guess if pressed, I would say both. I mean Robert Browning's "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came" is clearly fictional. Robert Frost's "Fire and Ice" is non-fiction. Others are hard to classify. My advice: Don't worry about it. :lol:

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:35 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.