• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 742 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:59 am

"The Overstory," lavishly praised novel about trees

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

"The Overstory," lavishly praised novel about trees

Unread post

Is anyone reading Richard Powers" The Overstory, or accomplished the feat of getting through it? This "eco-saga of the century" has a list of rave reviews a foot long. But what gives with me? After reading the first engaging story about an American chestnut tree planted in Iowa, I started to lose energy to continue and now am stalled on page 75. I wanted to like this book, but what another reader said about it might apply to me--I'm not the reader for the book. Few of the characters have any life for me; the writing seems trite at times. I'd much rather read my NF books on trees, or the one called The Secret Life of Trees, than this one.

Return to “What are you currently reading?”